Persecuted (Coming to a theater near you!)

Started by Aroura33, June 24, 2014, 04:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 25, 2014, 02:20:07 AM
I heavily suspect that this film's sentiment is not representative of majority opinion among Christians. Just thought I'd get that out there in the interest of fairness.
Although I agree that this is true, I think this kind of film is terribly damaging because it's intent is to CAUSE MORE people to inherit that persecuted sentiment.
Specifically, this film is about and aimed at evangelicals, and they do seem to have a higher than average Christian persecution complex.  I just don't like to see them flame the fans of this particular delusion.

Also, I do think it is a growing sentiment amongst even average Christians, party due to crap like this, but probably mostly due to stuff like the media's constant talk of "The War on Christmas" and that kind of BS. Even my mom, who goes to church on Christmas and Easter, about every other year, and watches mass on TV maybe 3 times a year says she feels like Christians are being persecuted, and that there really is a "war on Christmas".

My point is: Well done Propaganda works (especially on the smaller minded).
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm guessing a whole lot of Christians now days are expecting the theatrical music to play everywhere. You know, that 'song' you hear in movies that isn't really a song, just one sustained note with that floaty, heavenly feel to it with the singers going ' ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...hhhh...hhh...hh...h...'
To bad the Ahhhhhh Singers are first on the list to be feed to the lions.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

I wonder if this surge of christian movies are going to annoy people enough to start turning some more away from their faith...

I know people that tell me "well, you know... there really isn't THAT many people that believe things that literally" or "you know, there isn't really people that think that their faith is being persecuted"

(these are believers and spiritualists saying this btw)

I think if there is enough of these movies some people, even some of the nutters will get more annoyed with this crap.

Berati

Religion is currently on the decline. http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/survey-one-in-five-americans-is-religiously-unaffiliated/

I think this is scaring the poop out of the evangelicals who can only see this as the rise of satan, not the rise of rationality. Their response is very predictable.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Berati on June 25, 2014, 01:25:42 PM
Religion is currently on the decline. http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/survey-one-in-five-americans-is-religiously-unaffiliated/

I think this is scaring the poop out of the evangelicals who can only see this as the rise of satan, not the rise of rationality. Their response is very predictable.

It's like the creepy obsessive gf/bf effect. You get weirded out even the slightest bit and the next thing you know they're clawing at you to try to keep you with them.

AllPurposeAtheist

Jesus wants to be your boyfriend..  That's pretty creepy..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 25, 2014, 01:40:23 PM
Jesus wants to be your boyfriend..  That's pretty creepy..

Not if you're a girl or into zombies.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Nam

This is a good article: http://thedailybanter.com/2014/02/the-dubious-war-on-christianity-hits-the-big-screen-but-will-it-help-or-hurt-christians/

Also, the director of this film, his last film at imdb.com received a 2.2/10.

So...this one will probably suck, too.

-Nam

Aroura33

Quote from: Nam on June 25, 2014, 07:49:33 PM
This is a good article: http://thedailybanter.com/2014/02/the-dubious-war-on-christianity-hits-the-big-screen-but-will-it-help-or-hurt-christians/

Also, the director of this film, his last film at imdb.com received a 2.2/10.

So...this one will probably suck, too.

-Nam

Good article, I liked this quote:

In his blog TheBarkingAtheist, Daniel Moran gives his take on why Christians often feel persecuted:

“They think equality means persecution, because they’re so used to be the favoured class in America. They’re used to having a dominance over public life, politics, and culture in America. When that preferential treatment is slowly stripped away and replaced with equality, they are dragged kicking and screaming through the Courts, crying persecution.”
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Nam

Well, that and white people. Nazis weren't the only ones who believed whites were (or are) superior to non-whites.

-Nam

Savior2006

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 25, 2014, 02:20:07 AM
I heavily suspect that this film's sentiment is not representative of majority opinion among Christians. Just thought I'd get that out there in the interest of fairness.

It's likely true. On CF I never hear Christian moderates or liberals complain about persecution of Christians in America, because it doesn't exist. "Persecution" is people making remarks critical of religion.   
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano