Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Jurassic World - Using the same scale I gave Max and John Wick, I give this movie a 9.5/10. It clicked all the boxes for what I wanted out of it...

-Main character I liked
-Action/Suspense
-Nostalgia

The only thing that knocks it down from a 9.8 is that there were times when it focused too much on the children "leads" that you are suppose to feel for, when all I wanted to see was more dinosaur carnage going on, and the beginning of the movie it felt like all the good scenes had already been done by the trailers. But besides that it was really good, expecially after half-way in the movie when it almost all felt new (minus the Chris Pratt on the Motorcycle with the raptors around him scene).

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. It got an ovation at the theatre, which I think was a little over kill... but you know what, if you enjoyed it that much, fucking go for it. Slight tangent, but why should you be ashamed of showing excitement or appreciation at a piece of art meant to entertain you? I feel bad for, at the time, judging them for that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

Chappie 9/10

Transhumanists masturbatory fantasy. Good one at that too.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on June 14, 2015, 01:57:45 AM

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. It got an ovation at the theatre, which I think was a little over kill... but you know what, if you enjoyed it that much, fucking go for it. Slight tangent, but why should you be ashamed of showing excitement or appreciation at a piece of art meant to entertain you? I feel bad for, at the time, judging them for that.

Nothing wrong with going to a movie for no other reason than it's a hell of a lot of fun.  After all, having fun is a most important goal in life.  There should be categories at the Academy Awards for Most Fun Movie and Most Fun Actor, but for some reason, the awards seem to be given out for more heady message carrying movies.  I'm going to see this one on Tuesday afternoon, when the crowds are thinned out.  I still pull out my copy of the original from time to time and watch it again.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on June 14, 2015, 01:57:45 AM
Jurassic World - Using the same scale I gave Max and John Wick, I give this movie a 9.5/10. It clicked all the boxes for what I wanted out of it...

-Main character I liked
-Action/Suspense
-Nostalgia

The only thing that knocks it down from a 9.8 is that there were times when it focused too much on the children "leads" that you are suppose to feel for, when all I wanted to see was more dinosaur carnage going on, and the beginning of the movie it felt like all the good scenes had already been done by the trailers. But besides that it was really good, expecially after half-way in the movie when it almost all felt new (minus the Chris Pratt on the Motorcycle with the raptors around him scene).

You liked it? I thought it was pretty bad. But I was just in for the nostalgia and couldn't get that I guess.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 14, 2015, 12:36:29 PM
You liked it? I thought it was pretty bad. But I was just in for the nostalgia and couldn't get that I guess.

I'll be completely honest... I have REALLY low standards for movies. And I definitely see how if you're looking for anything like the original, your going to be highly disappointed.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 14, 2015, 01:57:45 AMSlight tangent, but why should you be ashamed of showing excitement or appreciation at a piece of art meant to entertain you? I feel bad for, at the time, judging them for that.
You shouldn't feel ashamed at all.  And I really dislike shaming and judging people for their interests.  But that is a rant for another day.

SGOS

I've found an IMAX theater in reach that is showing Jurassic World in 3D IMAX.  After my thread about 3D, I'm going as a hypocrite to see it in 3D, but the main reason <ahem> is for the IMAX.   Actually, it's a new IMAX and I'm kind of excited about having one within 50 miles of where I live.  Now get this, they also have seats that move in conjunction with the film.  I've been on carnival rides that do this and create a reasonable sensation of movement, but that's in an enclosed space where the whole viewing area including the screen moves as a single unit.  I don't know how it would work in front of a stationary screen in a stationary theater.  God, talk about your gadgets.  Movies are going to Hell in a hand basket. :biggrin:

Hijiri Byakuren

Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

Watched it for the first time in almost a decade recently as part of my personal Heisei marathon... and now I remember why I normally avoid this film. Basically, it's a 60's Godzilla film made in 1994, and about as cringe-worthy as that description suggests. Need I go on?

Though it's a step above Godzilla vs Megaguirus (my all-time least favorite Godzilla film), this movie is by far the single largest special effects failure of the entire franchise. There is, of course, the infamous space scene in which the background is completely black, the asteroids look like the props they are, and the strings on the monsters are clearly visible throughout. Then there's the issue of "Little Godzilla." If you thought Godzilla's son in the 60's had a face only a mother could love, get a load of this abomination:

Jesus fucking Christ!

Spacegodzilla himself is a constant problem throughout the film. His design is just fine, he looks amazing in later video games, but in this film the suit is so stiff and bulky that it's hard not to see a man in a rubber suit. The crystals he seeds around Fukuoka have no scaling detail, causing the set to look like a set and not like a city. This lack of scale causes Godzilla himself to lose a lot of his majesty as well, since he too now looks like a man in a rubber suit next to these things.

There are so many competing plot threads in this film, I don't even know where to start. One of our main characters has a grudge against Godzilla and wants to hit him with some sort of blood coagulant to bring Godzilla down (in vials so small I doubt an elephant would feel it, much less the King of the Monsters). Another group including recurring character Miki Saegusa want to stick a transmitter onto Godzilla and control him with psychic powers. Then there's a weird side-plot where the Yakuza kidnaps Miki to try and use Godzilla for terrorist purposes.... or something, it's kinda dumb. None of these have anything to do with the main plot, and are mostly forgotten  by the halfway point of the film. Oh, and Spacegodzilla kidnaps Little Godzilla for no reason. No, really, there is no reason given, it is never explored, and Junior does not appear onscreen at all after this until Spacegodzilla dies. It doesn't really help that this movie is completely skippable: If you went straight from "Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II" to "Godzilla vs Destoroyah," you would not be confused. Like, at all.

Also, can I just point out how ridiculous Spacegodzilla's name is? They seriously couldn't come up with a better name for Godzilla's supposed "ultimate enemy"?

The music throughout the film sounds incredibly out of place; you can tell right off the bat that this is definitely not the work of Akira Ikufube. I don't even know how to describe it other than it sounds like the soundtrack of a movie about a caped crusading elephant out to save children from an evil baboon. I can't tell if the brass is that shitty synthetic brass that was popular in a lot of 80's films or if it's just that badly conducted.

Overall, I would only recommend watching this film if you just want something for you and your friends to riff on, or if you've never seen it and are just curious. Otherwise, go ahead and skip it.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Green Bottle

I watched 3 movies over the weekend an the best of them was San Andreas, great movie  great special effects and really enjoyed it, ill give it a 8/10.
Chappie, this is a really gd movie if ur into this kinda thing, i thought it was great, 8/10 also
Jurassic world, well its just more of the same ud expect , didnt expect anything different an thats what i got,   6/10.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

SGOS

Jurassic world, well its just more of the same ud expect , didnt expect anything different an thats what i got,   6/10.

I saw Jurassic World in IMAX 3D last night.  I couldn't wait until mid week when the theaters emptied out.  It was OK, but as the first in a possible revival of a series, it didn't compete with the original.  Yeah, 6/10 would be about right for me, too.

Sylar

I saw Jurassic World yesterday. It was OK I guess, nothing impressive. Not a big fan of those movies but like most of you I just saw it because of nostalgia. Didn't compete with the original at all.

5/10
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

SGOS

Quote from: Green Bottle on June 14, 2015, 07:43:48 PM
I watched 3 movies over the weekend an the best of them was San Andreas, great movie  great special effects and really enjoyed it, ill give it a 8/10.
Chappie, this is a really gd movie if ur into this kinda thing, i thought it was great, 8/10 also

Watched Chappie yesterday.  It was indeed very good.  I think it was even better than District 9, and better technical details, specifically in image resolution.

the_antithesis

Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us.

So, rounding out the Creature From the Black Lagoon trilogy, I watched the other two flicks. I have to say that I enjoyed Revenge much more than the first one. The third is a different ball of yarn altogether.

Revenge was planned before the original was even released because they were expecting a big hit and probably marks the last time when a major studio's expectations were ever met by a film's actual box office performance. The first two Creature films are a rip-off of King Kong, intentionally so. Revenge seems to have a meatier story while Creature seems to stop just as the story starts. It involves scientists attempting to study/train the gill man at an aquarium and then it escapes, causes some havok and then carries a woman around until it's shot by police. A typical Thursday night for me.

there isn't much else to say about this flick except that I'm not sure if nostalgia is coloring my opinion. I saw Revenge as a kid when a local TV station ran it in 3D. They had a promotion where you could get 3D glasses at certain retailer and shit. I recall stuff from this movie and that familiarity may be coloring my opinion.

That said, I doubt it's coloring my opinion that much. Creature involves people going into the jungle and for half the movie, they don't even know there's a creature to find. It's not so much a slow burn as it takes half the movie to find its lighter. Revenge starts with a brief foray into the jungle where they secure the gill man and then they bring it back and they try to do things with it. i really ought to chart these two movies to show the story beats and see if it can be objectively said that Revenge is the better movie.

Couple of side notes. Revenge costars john Agar, a 50's B-movie actor who is most notable for this flick and being Shirley Temple's first husband. It wasn't a happy marriage and Agar became a drunk, but he got it together and remarried by the time he made this.

The re-appearance of these DVDs on store shelves had me wondering if a remake was being made and I was right. hopefully if they follow the plot of the originals at all, they cram these two movies together to make one good movie instead of two half-done movies.

Creature Walks Among Us is weird because early on they "burn the scales" off the creature, fundamentally changing its look which is a damned shame as the creature's design is one of the selling points. Turning the gill man into a fish-lipped version of the Frankenstein's monster is something nobody asked for. Even so, the flick gets points for taking the series in a new direction, even if that direction cuts the legs out from under it.

Not a lot to say about this one, either. There's a crazy scientist who escaped from an audition for Human Centipede who is obsessed with turning the gill man into a human because fuck you, that's why. He has a pretty wife whom he's insanely jealous (this guy is insane in everything he does. He insanely boils water to make tea) She seems to be getting attention from some other guys and there's some good scientists and stuff. This soap opera shit is only broken up with stupid 50's-era pseudo-scientific doublespeak regarding how the gill man has lungs and they were able to turn them on or something to save its life since its gills were burned away and the meaning for humanity in general and shit. None of it makes any damned sense and the conversations just go on and on. The creature takes a back seat in his own fucking movie because of this.

Walks is not a good movie and it's an even worse follow up to the first two. Even fans of the originals don't tend to like it. The only good thing is the DVD is not hampered by not being in 3D because Walks wasn't released in 3D, so it has always looked this bad and there's no mythical gimmick-o-vision that could have made the presentation better.

So, my recommendation is to watch Revenge of the Creature and skip the other two if you can. Unfortunately, Revenge is only available with the other two as part of the "Legacy" collection.

A note about these legacy collections, the apparently have the same movies in multiple boxed sets. I picked up the Frankenstein one because it had the most films, but three of those movies are in the Dracula collection, four of them are in the Wolf Man collection, etc. There is a big boxed set with all these movies, which is the better buy.

SGOS

Wild Tales  10/10

Filmed in Argentina, I think (of all places).  It's in Spanish with English subtitles.  I'm not usually into subtitles, but this is a great movie.  It consists of 5 or so unrelated short episodes of dark comedy.  Very well done, superbly acted, and really interesting.  A couple of the episodes you could get by without reading the subtitles, because it's so obvious what is happening, but reading the subtitles wasn't a problem.  I forgot I was doing it at times.  Some episodes you can predict the ending, but most of the time you don't have a clue what is going to happen next.

This one just came out at Redbox.  I thought I'd take a chance.  If you're a film buff, god knows how many films you will slog through, and then accidently find an unexpected treat like this.  Viewers at Redbox are giving it 3/5 stars.  From what I could tell, people either loved it and gave it 4/5 or 5/5, or they hated it and gave it a half star or 1/5, almost exclusively for not being in English.  It won some kind of nomination for best foreign film, but apparently a lot of people can't tolerate subtitles.  I guess I can understand, but that's not really a fair criticism of the movie.

Savior2006

Jurassic World was awesomely fun, but maybe it's because I haven't seen the others.

Spoilers.

There are some logic gaps. Detective Goren/Private Pyle really thinks that Owen's raptors can be effectively used for combat in war. He thinks of them as large dogs that will easily follow commands. This is in spite of the first seen with them and Owen, in which he demonstrates that he only BARELY has control over them.

Goren/Pyle says that the raptors would be effective because they could root out terrorist in tunnels, and wouldn't be vulnerable to hacking like a drone. Owen reminds Goren that even Owen's raptors will attack ANY human with little hesitation (which later turns out to be true).

Goren Pyle then says he plans on developing more monsters like the Indominus Rex. Once again, he really seems to think that we would have control over a highly aggressive, highly intelligent, isolated monster that killed other dinosaurs, like the "long-necks," simply because it could.

I guess there could be a way to genetically modify  them to follow the orders of their handlers. Or....you could simply use tanks and airplanes like the rest of us normal people.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano