News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Pope John Paul II to be sainted

Started by caseagainstfaith, July 05, 2013, 08:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I love that mere humans decide who attains sainthood.

a duh
Have you been gone?

I have.  And I've missed you.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

St Giordano Bruno

Sainthood: The most positive comfirmation that you are dead
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

stromboli

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I'm praying to be cured of missing teeth and none of this bullshit VA false teeth bullshit I may or may never get, but brand fucking new 6 year old teeth to grow right the fuck where the old ones fell out.
Tell the pope soon as he dies I'll promise to brush and floss daily although frankly I shouldn't have to if GOD had done his fucking job the first time.. :evil:

Your teeth died for your sins. It's true. Worship them. I do mine.

stromboli

Hey, so now we'll have a saint for pedophiles. Seems weirdly relevant, if you think about it. But don't.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm applying for sainthood. Last night I found a friends impossibly stashed weed and THEN found the little bag of gummy bears he lost in the same bushes AT NIGHT! It was nothing short of two, count em, TWO miracles in the span of like 20 minutes! :)
Saint Pothead!  :flowers:   :weed:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "SGOS"How the miracle squad can seriously investigate and deliberate on nonsense is amazing on so many levels.  Imagine sitting at a conference table and arriving at a conclusion that some bullshit or other is authentic, and with theatrical seriousness, too.  Do they write down testimony collected at the scene of the miracle in little spiral notebooks?  Do they close an area off with tape that says, "Keep Out.  Miracle Investigation Area By Order of the Pope."  Do they get a bonus for certifying a miracle?  

Now, I have to admit that seeing a magician pull a rabbit out of a hat is pretty convincing to me, but the investigators would probably write that off as a hoax.  How to they separate pure bullshit from real bullshit?

We are not talking about 4 year olds claiming to have seen ghosts.  These are grown men being paid by the Vatican to respond to calls on the Miracle Hotline from people like Pedro's wife who runs a tourist trap in Tijuana and thinks she saw a face in her soup.
This started no later than 325 CE, so they've had a LOT of experience making it look sane.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I love that mere humans decide who attains sainthood.

a duh
Have you been gone?

I have.  And I've missed you.
:flowers:

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"I have.  And I've missed you.
:flowers:[/quote]

Thanks!
Hey I think I'll apply for Sainthood (after I die and all, of course).  Right?  Shouldn't witches have a patron Saint, too?

SGOS

QuoteI think I'll apply for Sainthood (after I die and all, of course). Right? Shouldn't witches have a patron Saint, too?

Well, I'm all for it, but considering you can only be sainted by the Catholic Church, I think it might be an uphill battle.  The Church has had a personal feud with witches for centuries.

WitchSabrina

QuoteI think I'll apply for Sainthood (after I die and all, of course). Right? Shouldn't witches have a patron Saint, too?

Well, I'm all for it, but considering you can only be sainted by the Catholic Church, I think it might be an uphill battle.  The Church has had a personal feud with witches for centuries.

See.  Now to me other groups should start handing out (awarding if you will) Sainthood.   Who says the Catholic church has cornered the market on that? Hmmm?  Oh - They said that? Right.
(you follow me?)

Yeah..........
people should stop fearing or fighting against church power and just TAKE that power back.  Like appointing saints, demons, etc.

stromboli

Witches already have a patron saint
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columba_of_Sens

Columba of Sens.

QuoteThe tale states that Comba converted to Christianity and was martyred for her faith after refusing to deny it, or after refusing the sexual advances of men. She became the patron saint of witches in Galicia, acting both as an intercessor on behalf of witches and as an intercessor against witches.

SGOS

Quote from: "stromboli"Columba of Sens.

QuoteThe tale states that Comba converted to Christianity and was martyred for her faith after refusing to deny it, or after refusing the sexual advances of men. She became the patron saint of witches in Galicia, acting both as an intercessor on behalf of witches and as an intercessor against witches.
Sheesh!  Talk about an inner conflict!

WitchSabrina

:rollin:

Fake witches don't count.  Especially if they're appointed by the church for having denied their witch-ness.

Pssshaaaa

:pirate:

AllPurposeAtheist

I too missed you Bri. I was panicky thinking you'd been burned at the stake by the Westboro bunch.. I am more than relieved. I actually relieved myself in your honor I missed you so much.
Sad commentary to learn I wet my pants to your return, huh? :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Shouldn't witches have a patron Saint, too?
How about St. Glinda?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.