News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

My fictional interests have varied, I grew up on shows like ghostbusters, transformers, thundercats, batman TAS and TMNT, as well as reading comic books like x-men, batman, captain america and thor. But I also grew up on early my little pony, care bears, rainbow bright and strawberry shortcake. I love horror movies and creepy pastas, but I also like disney movies, Hayao Miyazaki films, and dozens of animated shows, including mlp.

This belief that people need to be type cast into only liking one genre of entertainment is ridiculous and primitive thinking, whoever thinks this doesn't have much of a varied pallet of interests.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 24, 2015, 04:59:30 AM
Firstly, when I think of badass, I tend to think that of that guy who stood in front of that tank column in China or Erik the Red or Spartacus or Bruce Lee.  Or fictional people like Rick Grimes or Stannis the Mannis.  Generally speaking, I don't closely associate being badass with drinking beer or wearing black or professional wrestling.  I dunno.  Maybe that's just me.
I don't think drinking beer is badass either. I don't like beer or drink myself. I was talking about what was considered badass (entertainment wise) to my peers when I was around 11 or 12 years old in the late nineties. Kids that age certainly weren't spending their time thinking about Chinese guys standing in front of tanks. You are probably older than me and don't realize how huge of a craze wrestling was in the late 90s. The viewership these days is barely around a 2.0, so it's not the in thing anymore, but in the late 90s the ratings were massive. There were two wrestling shows going head to head on Monday nights, one getting up to numbers in the 6s, and the other got up to an 8.1. Chinese guy standing in front of a tank never had a chance competing with that.

A few years ago, there was a guy who's character (and real life) was straight edge. This guy was considered by the majority of fans to be the biggest badass in the company. The complete opposite from what we saw in the late 90s. Classic tough guy characters are still cool, but it's nice that we're seeing people change it up a bit with things like fan favourite characters who stress being drug free, or wear their hair like a unicorn horn and put up their unicorn horns rather than their middle fingers.

I don't know how popular FiM is, but I've been seeing ponies and unicorns (mostly unicorns) on several tv shows lately and commercials. They are all over mainstream music videos. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Borgore, Kesha, etc. Taylor Swift is dressed up liked a unicorn. This stuff is super mainstream right now. FiM specifically might not be huge, but the unicorn stuff in general is huge.

Munch

Draconic Aiur

is it wrong that i clop to twilight sparkle?

Jack89

I immediately thought of this thread when I say this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q

Munch

Quote from: Jack89 on November 26, 2015, 09:07:12 AM
I immediately thought of this thread when I say this commercial.

It's weird how I remember reading about the natural position for releaving yourself is to squat, since it's what early man did and still does other countries around the world, but I never gave it much thought after. When my boyfriend said he sometimes felt constipated, I tried recommending stuff, but he still sometimes gets it.
Think I'll buy one of these, or cheaper alternative (£30 for a small plastic foot stool is a bit much) and see the results.

Munch

I feel angel is probably the most evil character on the show, but just hides it well

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

Grinning, your Rarity in santa outfit is festive, but I can't help but feel its not something she'd wear, given how it lacks countless diamonds and gems.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Munch on December 07, 2015, 06:02:30 AM
Grinning, your Rarity in santa outfit is festive, but I can't help but feel its not something she'd wear, given how it lacks countless diamonds and gems.

They're on her panties and bra :3

Munch

GrinningYMIR

doorknob

this week end I was forced by bronies to play the mlp card game. That's right the mlp card game. Designed for card game players such as my self and Cough eh hem Magic.

It wasn't actually bad. I had fun and it was not just a copy cat MTG knock off. It has it's own play style and I liked it. Some said it wasn't really designed for kids and I doubt that it was but It wasn't really all that difficult to learn IMO.

So branch out and play mlp card game!

Hydra009

Quote from: doorknob on December 07, 2015, 08:40:48 PM
this week end I was forced by bronies to play the mlp card game. That's right the mlp card game. Designed for card game players such as my self and Cough eh hem Magic.

It wasn't actually bad. I had fun and it was not just a copy cat MTG knock off.
Intriguing.  I'll have to check that out sometime.  The MTG rules would actually fit nicely with MLP.  Flying, flanking, haste, banding, etc.