News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Girl Can't Say No!

Started by Solitary, June 26, 2015, 09:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: Aletheia on June 28, 2015, 07:54:50 PM
Nobody really gives a shit how much sex a person decides to have. We do become concerned when a person produces a lot of children and/or spreads STD's due to irresponsible actions.

Actually, the issue here is her hypocrisy. The article quoted above notes she made thousands of dollars promoting abstinence and now she's pregnant for the second time. Perhaps I should make a few grand promoting optimism.

MoreWinters

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 28, 2015, 08:00:43 PM
Actually, the issue here is her hypocrisy. The article quoted above notes she made thousands of dollars promoting abstinence and now she's pregnant for the second time. Perhaps I should make a few grand promoting optimism.

If she could do it, so can you.

Aletheia

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 28, 2015, 08:00:43 PM

Umm... no. Her hypocrisy is an ironic twist - her irresponsibility and misinformation to others are the main points. These are what cause the most harm.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Deidre32

I forgot who this person even is, that's how irrelevant she is in my life.
lol
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

TomFoolery

Quote from: Aletheia on June 28, 2015, 08:17:09 PM
Umm... no. Her hypocrisy is an ironic twist - her irresponsibility and misinformation to others are the main points. These are what cause the most harm.

I see there being a lot of harm in the Christian right telling women they should have kept their damn legs closed and pray to Jesus for forgiveness, but I don't see there being any benefit to fighting fire with fire. All it does is propagate the idea that women deserve shame for having sex and does nothing to address the real issue of promoting sexual health and awareness for women and men alike.

I even said the same shit about Hobby Lobby Holly when it turned out she had been cheating on her husband. I can't stand the bitch. She's like a caricature of everything that's wrong with religious zealotry, but still, discussing people's sex lives is a tactic used by religious fundamentalists. When we stoop to their level, what's the point?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Deidre32

Quote from: Solitary on June 26, 2015, 09:36:00 AM
:rotflmao:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=bristol+palin+pregnant&form=prhps1&refig=0bd7f20b88e343b4b00e170a16a7a5d2

Could Bristol Palin be the ultimate hypocrite? The single teen mom made thousands of dollars promoting abstinence after she gave birth to son Tripp in 2008, and RadarOnline.com has confirmed that she is pregnant out of wedlock yet again!

Bristol admitted the news Thursday after being contacted by Radar about rumors out of Wasilla.

“I wanted you to be the first to know that I am pregnant,” she wrote on her blog. “Honestly, I’ve been trying my hardest to keep my chin up on this one.”

“At the end of the day there’s nothing I can’t do with God by my side, and I know I am fully capable of handling anything that is put in front of me with dignity and grace,” she continued, admitting, “I know this has been, and will be, a huge disappointment to my family, to my close friends, and to many of you.”
Insiders told Radar that rumors about her pregnancy have been running wild in Wasilla for weeks.

Just say no doesn't work in the heat of the moment.

''There's nothing I can't do with God by my side...''

Wow, what poor wording that was. :=P

Deidre32

Quote from: Deidre32 on June 28, 2015, 08:31:18 PM
''There's nothing I can't do with God by my side...''

Wow, what poor wording that was. :=P
Quote from: TomFoolery on June 28, 2015, 08:30:45 PM
I see there being a lot of harm in the Christian right telling women they should have kept their damn legs closed and pray to Jesus for forgiveness, but I don't see there being any benefit to fighting fire with fire. All it does is propagate the idea that women deserve shame for having sex and does nothing to address the real issue of promoting sexual health and awareness for women and men alike.

I even said the same shit about Hobby Lobby Holly when it turned out she had been cheating on her husband. I can't stand the bitch. She's like a caricature of everything that's wrong with religious zealotry, but still, discussing people's sex lives is a tactic used by religious fundamentalists. When we stoop to their level, what's the point?

Think the bigger picture here is that abstinence only education really doesn't work, and that preaching Christianity to pretend like somehow you're living a more moral life than the rest of us is where the hypocrisy comes in. There is nothing immoral about premarital sex, the irony is that she said there is. lol No one here is shaming her, she just should stop preaching what she does and there won't be any attention given to her.

AllPurposeAtheist

There must have been a big shortage of aspirin in Alaska. . Just imagine all those aspirinless knees..must be painful.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

hrdlr110

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 26, 2015, 10:13:30 AM
I didn't mean to imply you were trying to slut-shame her (though the title of your post is "The Girl Can't Say No!")...

I won't defend the hypocrisy. I can't. She got a quarter of a million dollars to sell a "true love can wait" campaign. It's fortunate she has that kind of income to support herself and her children, since many single mothers do not. I truly do hope she doesn't forget where it came from and try to do better by America's teens for the sake of her own children.

She deserves being shamed.  She's raising her family on the backs of people that believed her spiel of doing something (or rather, not doing something) and then doing that something in the comfort of ill received money. It's a huge slap in the face to everybody that practiced what she preached and then got pregnant themselves. Where is their safety net?  She's a cunt. A fucking out of wedlock, (not that there's anything wrong with that)  two faced,  lying cunt! To the point that calling her a palin is actually more of an insult than calling her a cunt!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

drunkenshoe

This is a career. She doesn't have to believe in anything. She has a 'script' and that is the family she is born into. She is making money, fame, a life using it. Because it works in the country she lives. Nobody actually cares what she is doing. It's the show. Considering her family and the culture she is from, this is the easiest, most beneficial/profitable form of existence possible for her. She doesn't even have to do anything and just act as she wishes. She also doesn't get married as far as I get. Something tells me she will when she is out of baby scandals. Or may be after she made enough money when she thinks she should retire. And she will make money out of it too. And she will preach the same bullshit, people will raise money and clap.

You can't just build a culture which teaches people

-that they can sell ANYTHING if they can market it,
-that the ultimate success is being rich and famous, regardless of what they are doing or selling,
-that it is good for them if they beat the system or make it work for themselves by any means possible,
-confirm that over and over again from 4 corners that means they are free individuals in a free country and being able to do all that means they have freedom (there are important nuances probably doesn't come out with my expression, in short equal to 'make themselves real')

and then declare what they do is 'hypocrisy', becasue you don't like the product they sell and don't agree with it. That's what young Palin is doing. She is selling something and it sells. She is making her American dream. Well, of course you can say all those things. Doesn't change anything. Expecting anytyhing different would be wishful thinking or something like praying

Shaming this woman -or anyone else- for having a child out of wedlock, doesn't matter what the circumstances are, is just supporting what these people preach which supposedly you are against. It's working against what most of us believe here. Because that's not what is wrong. Actually, it just means you are buying what she is selling.

I sometimes think that most nonbelievers have this notion which stipulates that people from certain religious convictions -doesn't really matter which one- actually live their lives -or should- according to some rules defined by them. They don't. Doesn't matter if it is Palin or John next door. But among them people like Palins have a bigger chance and the circumstances to make something big out of it. Because it sells. Certainly you don't buy it, it's just disgusting to you, but there are a lot of people who do. It doesn't matter if they are the ultimate hypocrites or this or that. The point is not the hypocrisy. They do not need integrity, if they did, they wouldn't be religious.

It's also why I don't agree with this:

Aletheia
QuoteNobody really gives a shit how much sex a person decides to have. We do become concerned when a person produces a lot of children and/or spreads STD's due to irresponsible actions.

People just don't give a shit how much sex a person decides to have, they also give a shit which person and how, with whom. Ideally, when we think for a moment or asked about it -like you did- yes it sounds ridiculous and we think the way you said. But people do not act that consciously. People act with short cuts. Those short cuts are determined according to our priorities. Majority of the world's population act on the priority of measuring; comparing themselves to the others in their circles, comminties and cut out a place for themselves for better or worse. In this aspect, Palin's just an affirmation and she is real. From many angles. They can make fun of her, they can relate to her, they can feel pity for her, the can praise her...etc.

But in Palin's case, it's also not just something black and white as giving shit or not. If you are selling religious bullshit any kind of sexual act is the best marketing everywhere. It's still the ultimate taboo, it's the biggest discussion in religious bullshit and the profile of people who follows Palins and their ilk anywhere around the world living in a sexually repressed culture. Palin is very real for them. You support her or you detest her. She doesn't lose both ways. It's a fucking win win for her as long as you do the same thing with her; shaming people for having sex or children out of wedlock. 

However, what she does is only as 'immoral' and as hypocritical as making reality shows about filthy rich people, some famous families who didn't make a tiny contribution to American society, but just keep taking and taking; marketing them as the great life of successful people; goal of life to children and young people OR allowing people to sexualise their toddlers so they could win some beauty pageant OR giving beauty scholarships to young women...etc.

It's legal bussiness. It has nothing to do with religion, or even directly with politics. She is a tradeswoman. Good or bad, successful or not. She has customers.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

the_antithesis

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 28, 2015, 08:30:45 PM
When we stoop to their level, what's the point?

Usually when I encounter the "don't stoop to their level" argument, it's usually from some dick using it as a defense to avoid their comeuppance for acting like a dick. kind of like how on Survivor the people who talked about playing with integrity are all voted off the island and the assholes who stabbed everyone in the back get a million dollars.

So I guess the point is that you seem to think that no one deserves to be treated badly whereas I do think some people do. Respect is an earned commodity but so is disrespect. Honestly, though, I'm surprised we even have a thread about this chippy. I didn't care about her when she was pregnant the first time and it freaks me the fuck out to learn that was seven years ago. I only vaguely remember that, like a song by Ohio Express. Aah. Chewy. Chewy. Chewy. Chewy. Chewy. Chewy. Chewy. Baby. Always got a mouthful of such sweet things to say...

What were we talking about again?

TomFoolery

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 29, 2015, 02:55:29 PM
Usually when I encounter the "don't stoop to their level" argument, it's usually from some dick using it as a defense to avoid their comeuppance for acting like a dick.

I don't see how I've acted like a dick?

I also don't see what good comes from being mad about people acting like dicks and then acting dickish yourself. It's not just about feminist issues that I feel this way. I am an ardent atheist, but I've never sought out Christians to badger about how ridiculous I find their religion. I know atheists who have, and in my opinion, at the end of the day, it just makes atheists look bad. Just like many Christians don't want to be lumped together with militant and judgmental evangelicals.

Shaming her for having a baby out of wedlock because she shames people for having babies out of wedlock makes it sound like you indirectly support the same things she does.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

the_antithesis

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 29, 2015, 03:04:56 PM
I don't see how I've acted like a dick?

I wasn't saying you were acting like a dick. That was my fault for not being clear. Apologies.