Have you guys seen the newest robots?

Started by Cocoa Beware, April 26, 2016, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocoa Beware

Remember, these guys are our slaves, so it's okay if we smack 'em around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

QuoteAtlas, The Next Generation

On February 23, 2016, Boston Dynamics released video of a new version Atlas robot.
The new version of Atlas designed to operate both outdoors and inside buildings. It is specialized for mobile manipulation and is very adapt at walking over a wide range of undergrounds including snow.

It is electrically powered and hydraulically actuated. It uses sensors in its body and legs to balance, and it uses LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) and stereo sensors in its head to avoid obstacles, assess the terrain, help with navigation and manipulate objects, even when these are being moved.

This version of Atlas is about 175 cm (5 ft 9 in) tall (about a head shorter than the DRC Atlas) and weighs 180 lb (82 kg) lbs.
In the 2015 Darpa competition of robotics Atlas was able to complete all eight tasks as follows:

1. Drive a utility vehicle at the site.
2. Travel dismounted across rubble.
3. Remove debris blocking an entryway.
4. Open a door and enter a building.
5. Climb an industrial ladder and traverse an industrial walkway.
6. Use a tool to break through a concrete panel.
7. Locate and close a valve near a leaking pipe.
8. Connect a fire hose to a standpipe and turn on a valve

Apparently they are working on a few other projects, here is a funny looking prototype that runs really fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPanW0QWhA

My only concern is when the technological singularity arrives and these guys decide to pay us back for the genocide of their ancestors when we play video games.

Honestly, I had no idea robotics had come so far.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on April 26, 2016, 12:08:23 AMMy only concern is when the technological singularity arrives and these guys decide to pay us back for the genocide of their ancestors when we play video games.
Having a sense of vengeance is a very human, not robotic, trait.  Hopefully, hypothetical sentient robots would understand that their development involved a lot of trial and error, sacrifice and servitude - initially as servants to assist humans with burdensome physical and intellectual tasks and eventually taking on a much larger role.

Robots are the heroes we deserve, not the heroes we need.  So we'll kick 'em to test their ability to balance themselves.  Because they can take it.  Because they're not our heroes.  They're our silent guardians, our watchful protectors.  Our dark knights.

Baruch

There is no Singularity ... that is techno-magic ... except the one between your ears ;-)

Robots are for manufacturing, and we don't need them wandering all over the factory floor.  A really smart wheelchair would be useful, for those who need one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

I had no idea robots were this far along.  I wonder how far we are from a combat version?  Seems technology follows it's usual path here--sex industry and then killing people.  So, as seen in many movies and video games, either a robot companion for combat or an exoskeleton for combat--or both????  I have to pay more attention to the robots I create in Fallout 4 now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 26, 2016, 09:19:08 AMI had no idea robots were this far along.  I wonder how far we are from a combat version?
If you count autonomous drones, we're pretty much already there.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 26, 2016, 10:55:29 AM
If you count autonomous drones, we're pretty much already there.
Yeah, drones are robots.  But I was thinking of the companion types; the type that travels along with you.  Or even the 'power armor' type.  The military must be working on it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

The reason why the recent military trial of a mechanical mule failed, it is too noisy.

There is also the economics ... you don't want a $1,000 missile taking out your $100,000 robot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on April 26, 2016, 12:43:15 PM
The reason why the recent military trial of a mechanical mule failed, it is too noisy.

There is also the economics ... you don't want a $1,000 missile taking out your $100,000 robot.
That $1,000 missile can still take out our million dollar soldier.  So, if a few $100,000 robots can argument the million dollar solider and it be taken out instead of the soldier, the military is $900,000  ahead.  Besides, the prototypes are always more expensive than the standard types later on.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 26, 2016, 11:39:03 AMYeah, drones are robots.  But I was thinking of the companion types; the type that travels along with you.  Or even the 'power armor' type.  The military must be working on it.
Driverless non-combat vehicles are currently being looked at, maybe autonomous tanks in the future.

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 26, 2016, 02:59:08 PMThat $1,000 missile can still take out our million dollar soldier.  So, if a few $100,000 robots can argument the million dollar solider and it be taken out instead of the soldier, the military is $900,000  ahead.
Plus, robots can do a ton of deployments and never get PTSD, don't need to be constantly trained and retrained, and never need to visit the VA.  Definitely a cost-saver in the long-term.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Thanks for the link, Hydra.  Yeah, I think it makes sense for the military to go in that direction.  Make a tank a drone--why not?

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on April 26, 2016, 12:43:15 PM
You can't hit what you can't see.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 26, 2016, 09:19:08 AM
Seems technology follows it's usual path here--sex industry and then killing people.
Sax and violins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLy-AwdCOmI

Baruch

The US Navy just launched their first anti-sub drone ship:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/drone-ship-darpa/

Smaller assistant drones too:

http://www.popsci.com/navy-wants-launch-drone-swarms-tubes-video
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?