News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Believing" and semantics

Started by TomFoolery, April 08, 2016, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Recently I got into a discussion about evolution, and I made the comment, "I don't believe in evolution, I just understand and accept it as the most likely model by which humans and all other species came into existence."

Naturally a some commenters took that to mean I was some Bible-thumping idiot who thinks the world is 6,000 years old, no matter how much I tried to better explain my position.

My position is this. Science isn't a religion: it's a process. I accept theories like germ theory, gravity, heliocentrism, the Big Bang theory, and of course, evolution, but I don't believe in them. In my mind, saying you "believe in" something is like saying you find some deep meaning in it or look to it for guidance. It may be splitting hairs, but I'm at the point where I've encountered enough of the faithful to think that it deserves this point of difference. It seems to me that theists think that instead of believing in God, I just believe in evolution, and that's a horribly imprecise way of looking at it. Moreover, if I could somehow be persuaded evolution isn't true, I'll have no choice but to believe in God. And that's fucking stupid.

I believe in the independent observations that led to the theory of evolution, but evolution is a theory: it may change someday. It's doubtful, but it could happen, so I prefer to keep my mind open. For example, if I only had knowledge of 18th century medicine, I could just as easily say "I believe in the validity of bloodletting as a healing process" but we now know that isn't true.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Yes, but lay people today, as in the days of Hypatia of Alexandria, regard science as a magic cornucopia and pharmacia.  The lay people are in charge then and now, not the technocrats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K268EhXYwyE

In the great convulsions of societies, it is two steps forward, one step back.  As Jesus said, there will be wars and rumors of wars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 08, 2016, 07:06:07 PM

My position is this. Science isn't a religion: it's a process. I accept theories like germ theory, gravity, heliocentrism, the Big Bang theory, and of course, evolution, but I don't believe in them.
I agree with this.  I don't believe in evolution.  I accept it or think it is true for it has been put through the scientific process and is a theory.  Which means it has been proven; and means it is still open to testing and refining or even disproof.  A belief does not have to have evidence or proof that it is accurate or true.  So, I don't really 'believe in' anything.  For example, I don't believe the sun will rise tomorrow, but I think it will.  It has a history of millions of years--but if it does not tomorrow, then I will no longer think that it will.   Belief/faith are used to keep the ignorant and blind---ignorant and blind; easier to control that way.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?