News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

C'est moi!

Started by Lolilla, March 25, 2013, 09:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolilla

Hello everybody,
I'm Lolilla, I'm 18 and I'm from Germany (and I hope you don't notice this in my English!) :wink:
I (still) am a Protestant but actually I think the whole religion stuff is rather stupid if you really think about it. But I am not yet sure about that... Recently I have informed myself very well about Islam and I really have to say that Islam is the worst thing that can happen to humanity! But nevertheless there are a few things about Islam that make me hesitate a bit, like for example this: Quran and the Moon
I would really like this to be just a stupid coincidence, I really do, but I am not sure about that. I know you can find a lot of "coincidences" in a book if it is big enough but I can't help it that I am amazed by this. But on the other hand there is so much rubbish in the Quran from the scientific point of view that it seems rather silly to me to think that these "coincidences" are more than that.
Well, that was a brief view on my thoughts about the whole thing on religions. I hope I can learn more about it here!  :)
Greetings, Lolilla
"I recently read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, which ignited my interest in a scientific, mathematical version of the world. No, I'm not religious. At all. I'm an atheist." Matt Smith

SGOS

Quote from: "Lolilla"I (still) am a Protestant but actually I think the whole religion stuff is rather stupid if you really think about it.
I'm convinced its not only stupid, but harmful.  Welcome.

Plu

QuoteI would really like this to be just a stupid coincidence, I really do, but I am not sure about that.

Feel free to be sure. Notice how much magical mystical transformation they have to do just to get to numbers in the hundreds. Also notice that they might say "calculate", what they mean is "magically get about the same number after science did the calculation".

There is literally 0 chance for them to actually calculate the distance to the moon unless they already know it to begin with. (Especially notice that they measure the distance in "moon diameter distances", but never mention that they don't know how to get the moon diameter from the text, they just gloss over the fact that they took that from wikipedia as well)

Also, welcome :)

Fidel_Castronaut

Hey, welcome.

don't be put off by aitm, he means well (just don't let him within 50 yards).
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

aitm

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"[ Image ]

Hey, welcome.

Bite me Fidel.

Anyhoo, young and assuredly lovely lady from Germany. Greetings and grand welcomes from this, your humble servant. As to your post, is a one in 86,400 chance enough to realize that that is just what some of these biblical/quran verses are. Mere coincidence.

Why the 86,400? Consider the broken clock.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

DunkleSeele

Herzlich wilkommen, Lolilla!

Religion ist nicht dumm, sie ist das effektivste Massenunterdrückungsmittel aller Zeiten.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "aitm"

Hey, welcome.

Bite me Fidel.

Anyhoo, young and assuredly lovely lady from Germany. Greetings and grand welcomes from this, your humble servant. As to your post, is a one in 86,400 chance enough to realize that that is just what some of these biblical/quran verses are. Mere coincidence.

Shouldn't it be a one in 43,200 chance?  8-)

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Lolilla"But nevertheless there are a few things about Islam that make me hesitate a bit, like for example this: Quran and the Moon

That's numerology. That's just juggling numbers around until it looks like it means something. Note how they ignore the inconvenient decimals in the minimum and maximum distances. Everything can look amazing if you ignore the things that show it is not.

Lolilla

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "Lolilla"But nevertheless there are a few things about Islam that make me hesitate a bit, like for example this: Quran and the Moon

That's numerology. That's just juggling numbers around until it looks like it means something. Note how they ignore the inconvenient decimals in the minimum and maximum distances. Everything can look amazing if you ignore the things that show it is not.

Guess you are right. Anyway, isn't the moon moving away from the earth every year a few centimeter? If so, bad luck for the people in maybe 10000 years - then it's a wrong miracle.  :-D
And isn't it very inconsequent to gamble with the number of letters to produce the minimum distance but the number of words to "calculate" the maximum?

@ Fidel:
I prefer this:

Damn, still five days to go!   :(  :rollin:
"I recently read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, which ignited my interest in a scientific, mathematical version of the world. No, I'm not religious. At all. I'm an atheist." Matt Smith

Jason78

Welcome to the asylum.

You can pick up your stylish new straight jacket and 3 rolls of rubber wallpaper from Sabrina.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

aitm

Quote from: "DunkleSeele"
Quote from: "aitm"

Hey, welcome.

Bite me Fidel.

Shouldn't it be a one in 43,200 chance?  8-)

I'm using Military time..... :yawinkle:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Plu

QuoteAnyway, isn't the moon moving away from the earth every year a few centimeter? If so, bad luck for the people in maybe 10000 years - then it's a wrong miracle.

They're juggling with decimals, which sounds really small... until you realise their unit of measurement is the moon's diameter, which is 3500km. They'll get the distance approximately right for a quite a while. They won't be off by more than a factor of 1 for about 350000cm/2per year = about 175000 years.

Of course, all this is also taking in account that you don't think about the fact that science figured out the distance from the earth to the moon quite accurately somewhere in 150BC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipparchus) while it took muslims "studying" the Quran 1500 years to come up with a line of BS that requires the already established knowledge of science to get the same number.

You could actually duplicate Hipparchus' method and calculate the distance from the earth to the moon yourself. With the Quran method, you just have to take their word for it, because it doesn't actually prove nor calculate anything. In fact; without an external source of actual knowledge, even these "scholars" wouldn't have figured it out.

Mister Agenda

It IS you! Welcome!
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Lolilla

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"It IS you! Welcome!

I'm sorry?  :-D Yes, it's me as far as I know.  :-D

Quote from: "Jason78"You can pick up your stylish new straight jacket and 3 rolls of rubber wallpaper from Sabrina.

Again: Sorry, what?  :shock:  :-D