Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Brussels Hypocrisy

Started by Jannabear, March 27, 2016, 10:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

Quote from: Jannabear on March 27, 2016, 10:32:26 AM
I'm sick of hearing endless whining.
Millions die in africa per year due to lack of basic utilities and food.
Tens of thousands die in civilized countries due to lack of healthcare.
Thousands die in the middle east due to the shitfest the us created.
If you're going to be oversensitive about a tragedy where 30+ died, then why aren't you ripping your ears off whenever someone makes a joke about what happens in africa?
Oh...
Wait..
It's because your views on tragedy are completely selective.
Is the death of 30+ horrible, ofcourse, you're not going to catch me defending some fucking retards who killed in the name of their imaginary friend, they're evil scumfucks.
But if you're going to flip your shit and be welling to let the media bend your emotions over a table and fuck it in the ass, then where is your sadness for the millions who die from lack of basic needs?
It's quite ironic that a quote that sums up this hypocrisy is one that MAY have been spoken by one of the most evil people in history.
"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic"
The next person I hear bitching about this, but never mentioning anything else horrible going on in the world, I'm literally going to break my pc into 2 pieces and shove it down their ass.
To sum up their selective sensitivity in one joke.
"My name is jafar
I come from afar
There's a bomb in my car
I scream allah ahkbar"
I'll send you a box of tissues later.

We are all morally selective because our morality is mainly based on empathy which is just an emotion with very limited capabilities of providing ethical guidance on it's own. I have no problem with people focusing on certain issues over others because they are closer to them, therefore they are infused with higher motivation to engage the topic in productive ways, as long as they recognize the limits of their perspective in the issue and try to build a more solid position that aspires to be rational and objective. It is only when people irrationally cling to their empathy based intuitions as if they are the ultimate answer to the "ought to do" question and refuse to acknownledge the existence of a bigger picture, that's when I have a problem.

If i see you criticizing the treatment of trans people i'm not going to call bullshit on you because they are pretty much an insignificant percentage of the global population. I would only do that if i think you are not engaging the topic rationally blinded by your empathy, because emotion and reason should synergize to create motivated and realistic solutions.

AllPurposeAtheist

Carlin said once about bad news being fun.. The example he used.. 100 people killed in Pakistan.. Fuck Pakistan.. too far away to be any fun, but if it happens in your hometown people go LET'S GO LOOK AT THE BODIES! 
It's kind of true when you think about it. When there's a horrific car wreck with people killed traffic crawls to a stop so everyone can get a good look at take pictures if they can.  They're not slowing down to offer assistance or to try to avoid killing others who might be there to help. HELL NO! They all want bragging rights to tell their friends about all the blood and gore and guts they got to see out in front of Wallyworld.. Later they wring their hands and pretend to be outraged by careless drivers,but deep down they're happy they got to watch the show up close and personal.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 28, 2016, 01:50:47 AM
Carlin said once about bad news being fun.. The example he used.. 100 people killed in Pakistan.. Fuck Pakistan.. too far away to be any fun, but if it happens in your hometown people go LET'S GO LOOK AT THE BODIES! 
It's kind of true when you think about it. When there's a horrific car wreck with people killed traffic crawls to a stop so everyone can get a good look at take pictures if they can.  They're not slowing down to offer assistance or to try to avoid killing others who might be there to help. HELL NO! They all want bragging rights to tell their friends about all the blood and gore and guts they got to see out in front of Wallyworld.. Later they wring their hands and pretend to be outraged by careless drivers,but deep down they're happy they got to watch the show up close and personal.

This is why whenever I see there has been an awful traffic accident, or whatever comparable catastrophe, I have tried to remind myself to make a conscious effort to look away.

For one thing I don't have the stomach, and also I consider what it might be like from their point of view;

If I was mangled in a car wreck and have perhaps spilled my guts to some extent, I wouldn't want people gawking at me and saying stuff like "Dude!" "Thats fucking harsh!" "He's all fucked up!" "How'd his one leg get all the way over there?"

GSOgymrat

Umm... I can't look at roadkill, much less a horrific car wreck, without becoming emotionally disturbed. I can't even watch those television shows where people do stupid things and hurt themselves. I have a visceral response when people or animals are actually injured and I avoid seeing those things.

Baruch

Romans!  Bring out the gladiators.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Nobody gives a fuck who dies how and where. European, Middle Eastern, Eskimo, African, American... It's estimated that 353.000 babies born each day around the world. You, me, the guy next door, that hot girl in the bookshop ...Human is the free expendable resource that can be manipulated in masses for free for more profit. The perfect herd animal. It's not sheep, it is people.

Islamic terrorism will end when it becomes less profitable and beneficial than it is cost. Basic principle of capitalism. You know, the one that worked. It just worked better than anyone could imagine. And these are the consequences now we live through.

And when it ended, capitalism will declare another enemy; a new boogieman. I have no idea if I'll see it ro not, but you youngsters might. And people will discuss the same things about that enemy; will make same kind of empathy; defend the same kind of outlooks over and over again.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on March 28, 2016, 06:33:02 AM
Romans!  Bring out the gladiators.

Vloggers and media, reality shows on TV are working much better. Why waste more money, energy and man power?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp