Youth Group Service Disguised as Club Meeting at Public School

Started by Deconvert, March 18, 2016, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deconvert

Hi,
I'm new to the forums and this is my first post, and the reason I came here.

I'm a Biology teacher who takes the state mandated instruction of Evolution seriously unlike some of my co-workers. One In particular refuses to teach it because she "doesn't believe in it". I am baffled as to how one can earn a BA in Biological Sciences and hold on to a young-earth creationist belief. This person has been trying to kill me with kindness and knows I'm an atheist in need of Jesus. She doesn't preach to me or anything at least.

So the thing about not teaching evolution really bothers me, but whatever. The thing that is happening now is what I feel like reporting to the district. We have a Christian club on campus that she sponsors in her room - across the hall from me. This I have no problem with. I believe in the rights of students to have differing opinions and to have a club that represents their religion as long as the same rules apply to other faiths and nones and as long as no discrimination occurs. For the past year they have been meeting regularly in her room. Not only that, but they have been (I think I was her) inviting a youth pastor to come on campus every single Friday at lunch to speak to them. I was pretty sure there was some legal gray area activities going on, but I decided to just close my door so I wouldn't have to hear his loud "youth pastor" obnoxious voice - you I know the one. But last week the music teacher who is new to teaching and probably came from working in music department of a church, brought some more gospel singers from his church and set up a bunch of loud equipment and they all proceeded to have worship service. Now I know it is illegal for a teacher to be involved in a religious activity at a public school. We are allowed to attend to supervise, but we aren't allowed to                           participate. Also, I discovered since this event occurred that the pastor runs the entire lunch meeting like a youth group service. The students take no part in organizing or conducting club matters on their own. This is also illegal. In order to have a religious club on campus, it has to be run by students and outside visitors are not allowed to come on a regular basis and run meetings.

I am thinking about taking this to the district, but I'm not sure if it's worth it since they will probably figure out it is me since this other teacher knows I'm an atheist. They will just think I'm one of those party-pooper atheists who try to spoil I all the fun! I hate being in this position.

Deconvert

Sorry to mess up the forum, but I moved this topic to General since it's not about science.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Deconvert on March 18, 2016, 03:07:13 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forums and this is my first post, and the reason I came here.

I'm a Biology teacher who takes the state mandated instruction of Evolution seriously unlike some of my co-workers. One In particular refuses to teach it because she "doesn't believe in it". I am baffled as to how one can earn a BA in Biological Sciences and hold on to a young-earth creationist belief. This person has been trying to kill me with kindness and knows I'm an atheist in need of Jesus. She doesn't preach to me or anything at least.

So the thing about not teaching evolution really bothers me, but whatever. The thing that is happening now is what I feel like reporting to the district. We have a Christian club on campus that she sponsors in her room - across the hall from me. This I have no problem with. I believe in the rights of students to have differing opinions and to have a club that represents their religion as long as the same rules apply to other faiths and nones and as long as no discrimination occurs. For the past year they have been meeting regularly in her room. Not only that, but they have been (I think I was her) inviting a youth pastor to come on campus every single Friday at lunch to speak to them. I was pretty sure there was some legal gray area activities going on, but I decided to just close my door so I wouldn't have to hear his loud "youth pastor" obnoxious voice - you I know the one. But last week the music teacher who is new to teaching and probably came from working in music department of a church, brought some more gospel singers from his church and set up a bunch of loud equipment and they all proceeded to have worship service. Now I know it is illegal for a teacher to be involved in a religious activity at a public school. We are allowed to attend to supervise, but we aren't allowed to                           participate. Also, I discovered since this event occurred that the pastor runs the entire lunch meeting like a youth group service. The students take no part in organizing or conducting club matters on their own. This is also illegal. In order to have a religious club on campus, it has to be run by students and outside visitors are not allowed to come on a regular basis and run meetings.

I am thinking about taking this to the district, but I'm not sure if it's worth it since they will probably figure out it is me since this other teacher knows I'm an atheist. They will just think I'm one of those party-pooper atheists who try to spoil I all the fun! I hate being in this position.

You could send what you told us to the Freedom From Religion organization and I'd be willing to bet that they would look into it.  And they are not shy in getting their lawyers involved to get those types of activities and working to get them stopped.  Good luck with it..................and it must be a huge pain-in-the-ass to work next to.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?