Thinking of the good things religion brought to the world (Challenge)

Started by Munch, March 15, 2016, 08:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Might seem like a satirical thing to think about, given how we all find so much shit that comes from religion as a result of its influence on human kind. But after watching some cookery program about certain christian followers and the meals they bake at easter time, it made me wonder what could be made of the good things that came from religion, when looking past all the wars and bloodshed, human slavery, withholding of human rights and so on, there might be a few things we can think of that benefited the rest of the world, and not just themselves but things that benefited those outside of religion.

Think of this as a challenge.

Like I say, watching a cooking program made me think of this, and despite not being religious, I've always enjoyed certain foods from around the year. Hot cross buns at easter time, as well as all the chocolate. Pancake day or shrove tuesday giving an reason to eat pancakes for dessert, pumpkin pie as halloween (all hallows counts as something religious), and of course all the christmas trimmings and excuse to drink and eat rich food in december.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Johan

I genuinely believe the number one thing religion has given us is the ability to survive as a species. For as much as I get frustrated and think how much simpler life could be if we didn't have religion and the religious nuts who go with it that want to make any belief or practice not in line with their doctrine illegal, I forbid myself from entertaining any such thoughts for too long. Because like or not, religion keeps a shit ton of potentially dangerous people in line and I strongly suspect that I our species would not survive more than a few short years without it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

Don't forget religion involves pagan beliefs. You can add winter and spring solstice celebrations, Christmas trees, all the trimmings. And vestal virgins. Never forget the vestal virgins.

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on March 15, 2016, 09:35:27 PM
Don't forget religion involves pagan beliefs. You can add winter and spring solstice celebrations, Christmas trees, all the trimmings. And vestal virgins. Never forget the vestal virgins.

This slave girl wasn't suited for the Vestal Virgins ... since her boyfriend was persistent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9-qXA395w
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

It gave us modern science, for one.

Think about it... if they were not monks, clerics or trained at religious university... what would great men like Mendel, Copernicus, Grosseteste, de Soto and so many more... where would they have been? Most of them came from farming or at best lower-middle class merchants. The aristocracy or state had no desire to educate the common man.

It also provided a means for great women like Sor Juana and Joan of Arc to have a voice and renown.

It is a cultural tool to pass down morals and ethics from one generation to the next, and to tie forces that may otherwise be enemies together.

And some of the old pagan mythology just makes for some truly interesting reading.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Atheist

The Salvation Army.

St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

The Catholic Church does a LOT for the poor and homeless and orphaned.

Are those good enough?
"I will take China's Great Wall because they owe us so much money, and I will place it on the Mexican border."

-Ronald Rump

mauricio

Spirituality. Also the ascetic mindset of living minimalistically keeping in check your desires, introspecting to find their true meaning and trying to not get carried away into addictive loops of earthly delights. Art. tons and tons of amazing artwork. Some of the greatest artists trying to represent numinosity in their work has produced some of our best works.

hrdlr110

Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Shiranu

Bah, I'm an idiot. I completely left out the majority of magnificent Western art that was done in the name of the church, the church that funded and inspired artists.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllRight

Quote from: Johan on March 15, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
I genuinely believe the number one thing religion has given us is the ability to survive as a species. For as much as I get frustrated and think how much simpler life could be if we didn't have religion and the religious nuts who go with it that want to make any belief or practice not in line with their doctrine illegal, I forbid myself from entertaining any such thoughts for too long. Because like or not, religion keeps a shit ton of potentially dangerous people in line and I strongly suspect that I our species would not survive more than a few short years without it.
Interesting.... never thought of it that way but maybe man invented religion as an evolutionary survival mechanism without even realizing it. Then came the Crusades, Inquisitions and witch burnings.

Baruch

Quote from: AllRight on March 16, 2016, 05:38:08 AM
Interesting.... never thought of it that way but maybe man invented religion as an evolutionary survival mechanism without even realizing it. Then came the Crusades, Inquisitions and witch burnings.

Two edged sword.  Too much of anything is bad for you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cocoa Beware

QuoteIt gave us modern science, for one.

Think about it... if they were not monks, clerics or trained at religious university... what would great men like Mendel, Copernicus, Grosseteste, de Soto and so many more... where would they have been? Most of them came from farming or at best lower-middle class merchants. The aristocracy or state had no desire to educate the common man.

It also provided a means for great women like Sor Juana and Joan of Arc to have a voice and renown.

It is a cultural tool to pass down morals and ethics from one generation to the next, and to tie forces that may otherwise be enemies together.

And some of the old pagan mythology just makes for some truly interesting reading.

Sorry, I must disagree.

Religion was the reason Copernicus' work could not be published until after his death. While alive, the potential consequences were dire.

Scientists like Newton and Kepler wasted massive amounts of time trying to force God into the picture, assuming he had to be part of the explanation.

For centuries religion has proven to be a massive stumbling block for science, a phenomenon that still persists today and has a very negative impact.

Quote from: Shiranu on March 16, 2016, 03:55:57 AM
Bah, I'm an idiot. I completely left out the majority of magnificent Western art that was done in the name of the church, the church that funded and inspired artists.

I would debate that, since the Church forcefully extracted such funds and deserves no credit for the innate creativity of the human mind, which exists with or without the delusions of religion.

GreatLife

Quote from: The Atheist on March 16, 2016, 12:51:12 AM
The Salvation Army.

St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

The Catholic Church does a LOT for the poor and homeless and orphaned.

Are those good enough?

Most of these are funded by the US Government - not the church.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/24/catholic-church-collects-16-billion-in-us-contract/?page=all

TomFoolery

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?