In other news, the Steam Machine runs like a dream.

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, February 24, 2016, 10:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Specifically, it's the Alienware model:

• 4th Generation Intel® Coreâ,,¢ i7 processor
  • Steam OS
  • 8GB Memory
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5

This roughly translates as, "This fucking thing can play some vidja games reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good." I have some games that are pretty heavy on the processor, such as Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, and this machine won't even begin to lag until there are several million units in play. (Tested this by playing a zombie apocalypse mod for EU4 and letting the zombies spawn infinite troops.) The machine also has no problem running current-gen AAA games with full graphics enabled.

The minor downside is that not all games are compatible, so you won't be playing Skyrim on this unless you're willing to get creative. On the other hand, most of the newer big titles like the X-COM games work perfectly, and of course pretty much all of Valve's titles can be played on the OS they designed.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

GTX what, exactly?  760?  470?  GeForce GTX could describe lots of different graphics cards.  Even the 2GB memory size doesn't narrow it down very much.

After doing some sleuthing, apparently this omission originates from the adverts.  Weird to not tell customers upfront what exactly they're buying.  But now I'm curious!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

But anyway, I'm glad you like your new battlestation.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 24, 2016, 10:58:28 PM
GTX what, exactly?  760?  470?  GeForce GTX could describe lots of different graphics cards.  Even the 2GB memory size doesn't narrow it down very much.
Yeah, I did some shameless copying from the ad. Only specs I could find.

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 24, 2016, 10:58:28 PMBut anyway, I'm glad you like your new battlestation.
It's awesome. I have this little sticky tray that I use when I need a mouse and keyboard, so I can play it from my couch.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 24, 2016, 10:58:28 PM
I was curious about the box a couple of months ago. The review I read stated that the card is substandard, and that it's cheaper to build a gaming computer. I understand that with consoles, one pays for convenience.

I specifically need a gaming computer to write games. I can't find games that match the fun and beauty I have in my head. It's cool that I have loads of free to program engines to choose from. However, my old Dell laughs at me when I try.

Hydra009

After a lot more digging than I would have liked, I think I have the answer.  I'm reasonably sure that it's a GeForce GTX 860M graphics card.  Mystery solved!

gentle_dissident

Crap, the CPU is expensive by itself. I wonder if the reviewer was talking about a different model.

The only guy I know who tinkers (in his sister's basement) tells me I need a GPU that costs at least $500. He says I can get by with bare bones after that. I haven't a clue.

EDIT: Fixed terms thanks to Nonsensei

Draconic Aiur

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on February 25, 2016, 01:01:09 AMif it aint pc it's shit
Hath not a Steam Machine a Debian-based OS?  A graphics card, a processor, a motherboard, and hard drive?  Fed by the same voltage, running the same games, warmed and cooled by the same summer and winter?

Nonsensei

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 25, 2016, 04:11:37 AM
No SSD?

This was my reaction too. As the latest "console" to come out, it really should have an SSD. The size is secondary to the speed of the data transfer, especially on a machine that does nothing but play games. Instead they added a typical style disk drive that has all the limitations of its type at a size nobody would ever come close to filling. A poor decision in my opinion.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Nonsensei

Quote from: gentle_dissident on February 25, 2016, 12:39:26 AM
Crap, the processor is expensive by itself. I wonder if the reviewer was talking about a different model.

The only guy I know who tinkers (in his sister's basement) tells me I need a card that costs at least $500. He says I can get by with bare bones after that. I haven't a clue.

I can offer some general advice as a basement tinkerer myself. First, the CPU is not as important as the GPU when it comes to gaming. If we are talking about Intel it's i5 for gaming and i7 for streaming and video editing. The speed is almost irrelevant these days. Get something current and the megahertz will be sufficient.

As to the GPU, 500 dollars is about right for a good cost to performance ratio - DEPENDING ON WHAT GAMES YOU PLAY OR PLAN TO PLAY. If you're buying a machine to play Bethesda games all modded out, you probably can go a bit cheaper. If you are anticipating an upcoming AAA FPS like call of duty XXVII or whatever you don't want to skimp.

Likewise with RAM, for anything out before now, 8gb is enough. In the future though, 16 will be optimal as games designed to make use if that much start coming out.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on