News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Laci Green

Started by stromboli, March 13, 2016, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBSG98qzaPc&feature=youtu.be

She is an ex-Mormon who does some very good videos. Left the Mormon church and became a video star. Love her stuff, very sensible and well informed. Not to mention she is a total hottie.

Article about her:
http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/headline-story/13714/laci-green-youtube-feminist-profile/

Another picture:

Very intelligent videos deal with sexual issues, feminism and so forth. Yes I'm a fan. Carry on.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

She has not made a huge deal of leaving Mormonism but has concentrated on doing informative videos. A class act in every respect. r/exmormon has been after her to do an AMA and I'd like that, but so far she has declined, apparently. I think she is a private person generally.

Hydra009

I'm not personally a fan, but I can see why others are.

I liked her back when she was known as Gogreen18.  She came out as an atheist and was especially critical of the Religious Right's patriarchal attitudes.  I loved her content, but she had this strange way of presenting her videos - she'd always be uncomfortably close to the camera, nearly always wear something very low cut, and the camera would be centered on her boobs, often cutting off the top of her head.  I'm not very put off by stuff like that, but I started to wonder why she apparently felt the need to present herself that way.  It seemed like an odd thing to do for someone who wants to be taken on her merits rather than appearance.  Meh, whatever.  She makes good points and I mostly just listen to youtube in the background while gaming anyway, so who cares?

Then she got into this spat with the Amazing Atheist.  The Amazing Atheist was responding to some right-wing bigot who happened to be female and basically called her a dumb bimbo.  Maybe he took the insults a little too far, I dunno.  It didn't seem that much different from the flak that male right-wing bigots get.  Laci Green jumped in and overreacted to it, taking it as a slight on women in general and painting TJ as some sort of misogynistic monster for criticizing a right-wing asshole.  I kinda soured on Laci Green after that, but mostly because her videos focused more on sex and women's issues and less and less about atheism and politics.  Not really my thing, so I watched her less and less and eventually stopped watching her at all.

Years later and I don't really hear much about her except for the occasional video that criticized her for some outrageous statement or another.  Whatever.

Fast forward to October 2015 and Sargon of Akkad and others were going on about some crazy feminist who bizarrely claimed that "everything is problematic" and was trying to police Halloween costumes for alleged racism/sexism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IAlYO7C2yU

Apparently, she drank the SJW flavor-aid bigtime.  Such a shame.  She seemed like a nice person, but part of my beef with religion is how they try to control people - telling people what they can say and think - and I see that same authoritarian streak among the SJWs and in Laci's video.  I can't get behind that sort of thing, no matter how well-intentioned it may be.

Mermaid

The guy is such a smarmy dick that I can't even watch that video.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

I too am not really a fan... She has a few good videos, but after a while she started going crazy... posting bullshit 'facts' like her powdered alcohol video and her slew of mildly to severely anti-man feminist videos... I quickly lost interest in supporting her work as a whole. She still has some good videos, but she has a lot of shit videos too now... and increasingly so. (see vortex of shit thread)

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 13, 2016, 01:39:03 PM
I too am not really a fan... She has a few good videos, but after a while she started going crazy... posting bullshit 'facts' like her powdered alcohol video and her slew of mildly to severely anti-man feminist videos... I quickly lost interest in supporting her work as a whole. She still has some good videos, but she has a lot of shit videos too now... and increasingly so. (see vortex of shit thread)
I admit that I have not seen all that many of her videos, so I am not sure about all of them. The ones I've seen are about sex and sexuality, birth control, consent and rape. I thought her delivery was well-informed, factual, and really valuable.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on March 13, 2016, 01:47:45 PM
I admit that I have not seen all that many of her videos, so I am not sure about all of them. The ones I've seen are about sex and sexuality, birth control, consent and rape. I thought her delivery was well-informed, factual, and really valuable.
Yeah. She actually started out doing a sexuality video series. It may be on her main channel or a different one. I lost track. Those were actually really good and I still find them valuable. Other than that though, there is few quality videos that isn't a bunch of gleeful hate-mongering in the tone of her brand of feminism... with the added dose of the occasional misunderstanding of basic science... (like that  powdered alcohol video...)

PickelledEggs

Man. Those videos were pre-2008. She's been on youtube for a LOOONG time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ImMtHrrKo This is her original channel. Way before most of her content went to shit.

She must have deleted her other videos on here. I remember GoGreen18 had a lot more videos.

This video isn't the most refined, in terms of content, but hey. This was way before the age of youtube as a profession. It was also one of her first atheist videos, so it's actually impressing at how good the content is with that considered.

Now though... it's all gone. Everything is ruined. Thanks SJW-aide. You ruined a good youtuber

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on March 13, 2016, 01:36:44 PMThe guy is such a smarmy dick that I can't even watch that video.
Yeah, and he sort of is.  Of course, I hear the same thing about Richard Dawkins from theists.  Or the Amazing Atheist from Republicans.  These people criticize ideas that some people hold very dear and their first reaction is "Oh he's an arrogant asshole".  I've noticed that objecting to the tone seems like a very convenient way to ignore what he has to say.  It takes a big person to get over that initial revulsion and hear them out.

PickelledEggs

One of the comments in the video I posted even said "Laci should have stuck to atheism and sex education."

I completely agree. She fell way too far down the wrong rabbit hole.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 13, 2016, 01:57:21 PM
Yeah, and he sort of is.  Of course, I hear the same thing about Richard Dawkins from theists.  Or the Amazing Atheist from Republicans.  These people criticize ideas that some people hold very dear and their first reaction is "Oh he's an arrogant asshole".  I've noticed that objecting to the tone seems like a very convenient way to ignore what he has to say.  It takes a big person to get over that initial revulsion and hear them out.
It was actually more the chuckling at length after playing a statement from her.

Shiranu

Shoulda posted a trigger warning, you know how feminists get the blood boiling here :P.

Edit: Wait, hating the Amazing Atheist is a Republican thing? I thought most people got sick of his bullshit years ago, republican or not...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

Quote from: Shiranu on March 13, 2016, 02:19:18 PM
Shoulda posted a trigger warning, you know how feminists get the blood boiling here :P.
YES! Thank you!  :sob: We feminists are super sensitive, you know.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on March 13, 2016, 02:19:18 PM
It's not feminism that gets blood boiling; it's bullshit. It just so happens that a lot of people (not all) that fall down that brand of feminism tend to be full of shit.