Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Life Journey

Started by Pipu.Diiding, June 04, 2016, 11:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Pipu.Diiding on June 06, 2016, 12:06:10 PM
This life is all there is:
Makes more sense than believing there is an afterlife where we will spend eternity in hell or heaven.

It is more practical to dwell on the here and now ... rather than the remembered past or imagined future.  You can't eat food you ate yesterday, and you can't eat food you won't have until tomorrow.  Tomorrow is always one day out of our reach.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on June 07, 2016, 09:21:19 PM
It is more practical to dwell on the here and now ... rather than the remembered past or imagined future.
The past teaches us and the future gives us goals. Our lives are our memories and our dreams. If you're just living in the here and now, you're missing a large part of your life.

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 07, 2016, 09:50:15 PM
The past teaches us and the future gives us goals. Our lives are our memories and our dreams. If you're just living in the here and now, you're missing a large part of your life.

For a young person, they don't have much of a past, and much more of a future.  It is the opposite for the old.  I have fewer dreams (as you put it) ... and I don't dwell on memories ... I am too alive to be in the old folks home yet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on June 08, 2016, 04:33:20 AM
and I don't dwell on memories
I certainly hope you don't have any unpleasantries unresolved. I'm talking about having access to a timeline of inspiration and education. Even the children remember their past and build on it.

I'm sorry your dreams are few. It implies lost hope. Hopefully, you never go to a nursing home. I hope the onset of senility makes me a more visible radical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpfeY9bt9k

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 08, 2016, 11:46:16 AM
I certainly hope you don't have any unpleasantries unresolved. I'm talking about having access to a timeline of inspiration and education. Even the children remember their past and build on it.

I'm sorry your dreams are few. It implies lost hope. Hopefully, you never go to a nursing home. I hope the onset of senility makes me a more visible radical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpfeY9bt9k

Since my mother has been in and out of nursing homes (for rehab) I am well aware of most of the aspects of aging.  But I wouldn't want to discuss them or think about them, because I don't want to discourage myself or others ;-)  I don't think I will have a problem with senility, since I keep my mind very active.  Personal memory is not only inaccurate, it is fading.  I become less a figure in the foreground, and more part of the chorus in the background.

Life has many unresolved unpleasantries ... some of which I am responsible for ;-(  When I say "past" I mean my personal past.  I always enjoy reading history and biography ... even if it is bunk.  Good bunk is still entertaining, and sometimes inspiring.  On Monday I saw a new vignette on General Eisenhower in the year up to the Normandy invasion ... new material was added to prior retellings that I had seen.  My admiration only grows ... for some folks.  Others, the more you learn about them, the more you want to leave this life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on June 08, 2016, 01:02:02 PM
Life has many unresolved unpleasantries ... some of which I am responsible for ;-(  When I say "past" I mean my personal past.
That's what I meant.

Flanker1Six

My bad!   And, a belated welcome to the forum!