News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your awesome pictures here!!!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, March 08, 2016, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 07:50:30 AM
Oh do I ever remember all the times Hobbes pounced Calvin at the front door, LOL!  And Susie.  And the babysitter.  And the snow goons...
Dad explaining how they determine the max weight allowed on bridges. (Calvin owes a lot to his dad.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 08:07:11 AM
Dad explaining how they determine the max weight allowed on bridges. (Calvin owes a lot to his dad.)

Yeah, "they just drive bigger trucks on them until the bridge collapses then build a new one".

I can't believe I forgot the Dadisms!  Those were some of my favorites.  "Old pictures were black and white because the world was black and white when he was young".  I wish I could remember more.  I could look them up in my books, but that would be cheating.

When I asked MY dad about stuff, I got straight answers "Why do balloons float?  When interior density is less than exterior density - Boyle's Law".  No wonder I read comic books as a kid.  But it worked out well.  Anyway, thanks for the Calvin&Hobbes stuff.  I spent almost 3 hours today reading about them and it sure brought back great memories.

ONE of these Winters, we will get enough packable snow for me to make a snow-snake eating me.  And completely unconnected, I still want to carve a 6' wood praying mantis to mount on the chimney.  With a motion-detector to make the head look at people...  LOL!

Feel free to offer more example of C&H...  I'll be reading.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 07:50:30 AM
Oh do I ever remember all the times Hobbes pounced Calvin at the front door, LOL!  And Susie.  And the babysitter.  And the snow goons...
Did someone say snow goons?

Next good snowfall, we want to form the yard snow into tentacles coming out of the basement windows.  I very much have the friends I deserve.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 15, 2018, 10:07:07 AM
Did someone say snow goons?

Next good snowfall, we want to form the yard snow into tentacles coming out of the basement windows.  I very much have the friends I deserve.  :D

Quick, hose them down!  In fact hose the whole yard solid icy!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 10:06:55 AM
Yeah, "they just drive bigger trucks on them until the bridge collapses then build a new one".

I can't believe I forgot the Dadisms!  Those were some of my favorites.  "Old pictures were black and white because the world was black and white when he was young".  I wish I could remember more.  I could look them up in my books, but that would be cheating.
"But they're color pictures of black and white scenes!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Speaking of Calvin and Hobbes... there was a webcomic called 'Pants are Overrated' that did four C&H tribute strips in 2011 imagining Calvin grown up (sort of), married to Susie Derkins, and with a daughter.  And completely nailed it, thematically and stylistically.

Hobbes & Bacon 1
Hobbes & Bacon 2
Hobbes & Bacon 3
Hobbes & Bacon 4
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 15, 2018, 10:45:47 AM
Speaking of Calvin and Hobbes... there was a webcomic called 'Pants are Overrated' that did four C&H tribute strips in 2011 imagining Calvin grown up (sort of), married to Susie Derkins, and with a daughter.  And completely nailed it, thematically and stylistically.

Hobbes & Bacon 1
Hobbes & Bacon 2
Hobbes & Bacon 3
Hobbes & Bacon 4

WOW!  Thanks...  I don't actually even know what to say.

Just, thanks...  And after several minutes, I added the comma. 

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on September 16, 2018, 12:56:06 AM

That's... actually really badass looking.

Granted, Thanos wouldn't even flinch against those guys, but the photography of it is amazing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

No deep meaning here. I just thought this was an awesome picture.. because the guy is extremely hot.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Here's a really beautiful fractal zoom, one of the best I've seen yet - and I've seen quite a few. Nice music, as well, I just wish it was longer, and went even deeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4RkDN-1Vs
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

The presentation of Mandelbrot has gotten more and more interesting.  Though I thought the original point was "in set" or "out of set" ... so black & white.  I think the color schemes come about because of "speed of convergence/divergence" of the calculation over the 2 degrees of freedom.

Graphics show up just how complicated pseudo-random is ... anything you can calculate, even a fractal, is pseudo-random.  We can't even picture the truly random.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 16, 2018, 07:01:43 PM
Even the set of prime numbers isn't truly random:

https://sciencetrends.com/prime-numbers-and-crystal-like-materials-share-a-hidden-organization/

If they weren't pseudo-random, then we wouldn't even be able to calculate if a number was prime or not ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.