Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I imagine a few on here wouldn't want to watch this guy. however this video, he made some very good points I doubt many could disagree with on architecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GapUEKYLE1o
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Corporate dominated society ... buildings are all business.  Monarchy dominated society ... buildings are all about power.  Religions dominated society ... buildings are all about invoking the presence of the sacred ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwuKCqFwJY
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on July 21, 2018, 12:34:53 PM
I imagine a few on here wouldn't want to watch this guy. however this video, he made some very good points I doubt many could disagree with on architecture.
He makes a few good points, but he goes way overboard on his critique, and when he declared that Brutalist architecture is inherently totalitarian, that's when I tuned out.  Yeah, you have some big soulless slabs of concrete, but you also get things like Habitat '67 and The Barbican.

There's a lot of new construction going on here, and yeah, a lot of it is extremely poorly thought out: high-price brand new apartments on campus where college students can't afford them and regular residents won't live because the middle of campus is a fucking zoo most of the time, that's the main one right now.  A little further south in a part of town called the Short North, even more expensive apartments are going up trading on being in the (currently) trendy arts district and with no thought for what the neighborhood might look like 20 years from now demographically, or what the neighborhood currently looks like architecturally.  The new residential blocks downtown are a mixed bag; if I could afford it, there's a condo in the Leveque Tower already on my lottery list, because almighty Bob that is one gorgeous Art Deco skyscraper.

Most of the rest of the new structures are not matched to the existing architecture, nor to each other, and they're making High Street a claustrophobic experience from the south of campus clear down to the south of downtown.  But that has far less to do with the actual architectural styles in use than it does plain old poor planning.  And they're going to price themselves out of existence because they have this bizarre notion that when you have a need for housing, only expensive housing is needed.  They might be able to get away with that downtown and in the Short North and that's iffy at best, but it's not going to fly on campus.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Finally got around to emptying two months worth of images from my camera.  Here's a couple.

Apropos of talk about architecture, there's this shot of the decorative masonry work on the Atlas Building downtown:

I have some SERIOUS bass envy.  Yeah, that's a seven-string bass.  I have large hands, but even I might be confounded by that fretboard.

The Hubbard on -- conveniently enough -- Hubbard Ave and High Street.  I just liked the way the reflections came together on this, and the color really was reminiscent of two-strip Technicolor without any processing.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Here we have the Diablo starfish.  Note the characteristic pentagram in the center.  Can be used to un-consecrate sacred bodies of water.

Munch

I kinda like Thor as a red head, seems more suited as a viking god.

Edit: turns out its suppose to be Thor's son, Magni. that explains the red hair

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on July 30, 2018, 07:00:46 PM
A chip of the old Molnir?

yar, though I think its like parallel future, timey whimey stuff why he exists.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 30, 2018, 07:04:53 PM
yar, though I think its like parallel future, timey whimey stuff why he exists.

Is his friend a Hulk who turns red?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on July 30, 2018, 08:15:48 PM
Is his friend a Hulk who turns red?

There is a red hulk, but he's the original hulks enemy, and Bruce Banners girlfriends father

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on July 20, 2018, 09:13:33 AM
Wear blinkers while passing the shop. Cross the road.

Deliver us from temptation.

I do bake cakes at home without sugar.
Have a look at Xylitol.

Btw, i have done 3 years of apprenticeship in a patisseri shop from 1958 -1961

Is eating fresh fruit good for you guys?  I seldom eat sweets myself.  Offer me a ripe peach or a good apple fritter and I'll take the peach every time.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 07:06:21 AM
Is eating fresh fruit good for you guys?  I seldom eat sweets myself.  Offer me a ripe peach or a good apple fritter and I'll take the peach every time.

oh yeah, I'm told to eat plenty of fruit, obvious not to excess but I wouldn't do anyway, since, well that much fruit in one sitting would have messy consequences

But an apple or pear with lunch, banana on my cereal, cherrys or grapes for picking at, its all good stuff.

though is has to be fresh, stuff like canned fruits is a no go since they either have more sugar in them then is healthy or even just has them sit in fruit sugars. Its to do with the fact processed stuff absorbs the sugars into the body more quickly, where as just regular fruit and its sugars take longer to break down and absorb when its just the fruit itself.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 07:06:21 AM

Not in my case.  Dietician said no fresh fruit, dried fruit, fruit juice.  Ever wonder why I am angry?  I love fruits and nuts, that is why I post here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.