Pastor Defends Slavery (Bible Is Always Right)

Started by stromboli, March 07, 2016, 11:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Slavery is very much alive in the world and sadly, many groups like fundie xtians and fundie Islamists don't have a problem with it. Ironic that atheists for the most part are the one group most likely to condemn it, though we ourselves are among the condemned. "The Handmaid's Tale" comes to mind if you want a look at a potential fundie lifestyle of the future.

Simon Moon

The follow up questions to ask this immoral moron would be:

Would you be okay of slavery that followed the Biblical rules were instated in the US?

And,

What if you were one of those that were enslaved under Biblical rules? Would you still be alright with it?

What an idiot.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

leo

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 07, 2016, 06:55:06 PM
God the Father knew it was an impossibility for Fallen man and that is why He sent the Son ---- Christ/Messiah.
Jesus isn't the messiah.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

LittleNipper

Well let me see. The Bible clearly states that one who stole anyone to sell him into slavery was to be put to death. If you fully listen to what this pastor states, this is exactly what the American slave traders were guilty of. The kind of slavery the Bible presents seems to be where a person sells himself so he can pay his debts, pay for passage, or get a roof over his head and food to eat. Such were also known a indentured servants. An nicer sounding word for slave.

Another way to be a slave was to be a captured enemy soldier. During World War II many German soldiers were put to work in fields and doing menial tasks in Oklahoma and other States as prisoners of war. 

I do feel the Bible is inerrant. And so do many Fundamentalist, Evangelical, Born-Again Bible Believing Christians. People who say that such believers are ignorant and should be dragged out into the streets and hung are simply making slaves of everyone else who has an opinion other than their own. They are just blind to the truth of their own hypocrisy. 

LittleNipper

Quote from: leo on March 07, 2016, 07:20:29 PM
                                                                                                                                                   Jesus isn't the messiah.

Did you know that Christ and Messiah mean the very same thing?

leo

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 07, 2016, 07:22:01 PM
Well let me see. The Bible clearly states that one who stole anyone to sell him into slavery was to be put to death. If you fully listen to what this pastor states, this is exactly what the American slave traders were guilty of. The kind of slavery the Bible presents seems to be where a person sells himself so he can pay his debts, pay for passage, or get a roof over his head and food to eat. Such were also known a indentured servants. An nicer sounding word for slave.

Another way to be a slave was to be a captured enemy soldier. During World War II many German soldiers were put to work in fields and doing menial tasks in Oklahoma and other States as prisoners of war. 

I do feel the Bible is inerrant. And so do many Fundamentalist, Evangelical, Born-Again Bible Believing Christians. People who say that such believers are ignorant and should be dragged out into the streets and hung are simply making slaves of everyone else who has an opinion other than their own. They are just blind to the truth of their own hypocrisy. 
.                                                                                                                                                  You are almost as funny as pr126 in his latest ironic  Islamic posts. You must be a prankster.

leo

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 07, 2016, 07:23:37 PM
Do you know that Jesus isn't the messiah because he never fulfilled a single prophecy?

Simon Moon

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 07, 2016, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: LittleNipper on March 07, 2016, 07:22:01 PM

Rubbish!

You are only referring to the parts that are about Hebrew slaves.

Leviticus 25:44-46 clearly states you can take slaves from the heathen nations around you, that they become your possessions, that they can be passed to your descendants, and that you can beat them.

As for your male and female slaves whom you may haveâ€"you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you. Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession. You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves. But in respect to your countrymen, the sons of Israel, you shall not rule with severity over one another.

QuoteAnother way to be a slave was to be a captured enemy soldier. During World War II many German soldiers were put to work in fields and doing menial tasks in Oklahoma and other States as prisoners of war.

Nice tapdance, there.

These captured German soldiers, and their offspring, did NOT become permanent slaves, nor were allowed to inherited by the sons of their captors.

You have a very interesting way of skipping over some very important passages,

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

TomFoolery

Quote from: Simon Moon on March 07, 2016, 07:50:05 PM
Rubbish!

Don't forget about the part in Leviticus 25:44-46 where fathers can sell their daughters into slavery. I suppose it's well and good enough to sell yourself into slavery to get out of debt (not very Christ-like arrangement, is it?), but selling your daughter for the sexual delights of another man (for life I might add, since only debt-bonded Hebrew male slaves were allowed to go free after seven years) isn't exactly the modern Republican way of "bootstrapping yourself out of poverty." Or is it just a loophole, since you had to "work" to make a daughter?

And it's not even just an Old Testament thing. Slaves regularly appear in the New Testament. Ephesians 6:5-8 reminds slaves to be obedient and fearful of their masters, especially Christian slaves with Christian masters, because it doesn't matter what happens to you on Earth, since your treasure is in Heaven, apparently.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Simon Moon

Quote from: TomFoolery on March 07, 2016, 08:06:37 PM
Don't forget about the part in Leviticus 25:44-46 where fathers can sell their daughters into slavery. I suppose it's well and good enough to sell yourself into slavery to get out of debt (not very Christ-like arrangement, is it?), but selling your daughter for the sexual delights of another man (for life I might add, since only debt-bonded Hebrew male slaves were allowed to go free after seven years) isn't exactly the modern Republican way of "bootstrapping yourself out of poverty." Or is it just a loophole, since you had to "work" to make a daughter?

Yep.

Not to mention the nice "loophole" that allowed the owner to keep them for life. They would not go free after 7 years.

If the owner could find a wife for the Hebrew male slave, he could go free after 7 years, but he could not take his wife and family. They became property of he owner, unless the male wanted to stay with his family, then the owner would take the male to the town elders and they would take an awl, and punch a hole in his ear.

Immoral no matter how theists try to spin it.

LittleNipper

Quote from: Simon Moon on March 07, 2016, 07:50:05 PM
Rubbish!

Leviticus 25:44-46 clearly states you can take slaves from the heathen nations around you, that they become your possessions, that they can be passed to your descendants, and that you can beat them.

As for your male and female slaves whom you may haveâ€"you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you. Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession. You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves. But in respect to your countrymen, the sons of Israel, you shall not rule with severity over one another.

Nice tapdance, there.

These captured German soldiers, and their offspring, did NOT become permanent slaves, nor were allowed to inherited by the sons of their captors.

You have a very interesting way of skipping over some very important passages,
“Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death." (Exodus 21:16) I see no stipulation with regards to race, color, or creed.

It is also understood that any slave a that master either broke his tooth or blinded him had to be freed. All slaves were to participate in the Jewish holidays and not be excluded.

LittleNipper

Quote from: Simon Moon on March 07, 2016, 08:21:39 PM
Yep.

Not to mention the nice "loophole" that allowed the owner to keep them for life. They would not go free after 7 years.

If the owner could find a wife for the Hebrew male slave, he could go free after 7 years, but he could not take his wife and family. They became property of he owner, unless the male wanted to stay with his family, then the owner would take the male to the town elders and they would take an awl, and punch a hole in his ear.

Immoral no matter how theists try to spin it.

Morality only exists if GOD does and not without HIM. Morality is an expression of sin. Without GOD there can be no sin. Sin is not limited to fads.

stromboli

If the bible is inerrant, we should be condemning people with tattoos

Lev. 19:28

Quote"'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

I am just waiting for some Xtian pastor to walk up to a gang of tattooed bikers and shake a bible in their faces and condemn them for tattoos. Film at 11.  :biggrin:

Nipper, why don't you actually read the links we have all provided for you and then answer them. You have not, to my knowledge, answered any of them with facts or any serious refutations. You refuse to even look at the other side of the issue and debate it. Jesus never existed. You can't prove he did. Noah's Ark is a total fiction, Exodus, all of it.

The bible is full of inconsistencies, contradictions and false history.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html

http://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/inconsistencies.html

I can do this all day and you haven't apparently read any of it, because you haven't responded to it.

Hydra009

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 07, 2016, 08:26:19 PMMorality only exists if GOD does and not without HIM. Morality is an expression of sin. Without GOD there can be no sin. Sin is not limited to fads.
Morality is dependent on GAWD?  That must be why tribes the world over had no morality whatsoever before they came into contact with Christians.  Oh wait, that's complete bollocks.