Pastor Defends Slavery (Bible Is Always Right)

Started by stromboli, March 07, 2016, 11:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2016/03/controversial-pastor-defends-slavery-the-bibles-always-right/

QuoteControversial Pastor Defends Slavery: ‘The Bible’s Always Right’

Controversial Christian Pastor Steven Anderson defends slavery “because the Bible’s always right.”
In a twisted sermon recently uploaded to YouTube, Pastor Steven Anderson of Faithful Word Baptist Church defends the institution of slavery as presented in the Bible “because the Bible’s always right about every subject.”

A passionate Anderson explained to his gullible congregation why his Christian faith demands that he accept the righteousness of slavery as presented in the Bible:

People will try to come at us â€" usually atheists or people like that â€" they’ll come at us and say, “Well, the Bible is wrong because the Bible condones slavery.” We’ve all heard that before, right?
But here’s the thing about that, is that if the Bible condones slavery, then I condone slavery. Because the Bible’s always right about every subject…

At one point in his twisted sermon, Pastor Anderson, trying to claim that slavery is about unpaid debts, and noting that “going bankrupt isn’t biblical,” suggests that slavery is better than debtor’s prison:
… locking someone in prison is more inhumane than slavery. Prison destroys people’s lives.
While it may be true that prison destroys lives, it is also true that a lifetime as a slave is just as destructive if not more so than any prison sentence.

After expounding on the nuances of Biblical slavery, Pastor Anderson concludes his sermon by saying:
are there certain situations where God did indicate slavery, or for people to beat their servants? Absolutely. Absolutely. Of course! But you know what? It’s all right. And I agree with all of it. Why? Because the Bible is God’s Word. That’s why.
For those unfamiliar with Pastor Anderson, he is an obnoxious Christian extremist with a history of preaching a hateful and extreme Christian fundamentalism. Previously the Arizona pastor has called for the public execution of gays and lesbians, and more recently prayed for the death of Caitlyn Jenner.

Earlier this month, the controversial pastor used the Bible to explain why women should not have the right to vote, the right to work outside the home, or the right to seek a divorce.
Bottom line: Pastor Anderson is a dangerous Christian extremist who takes the Bible literally, even when doing so leads to morally reprehensible positions, like defending slavery.

Better check your calendar. Appears we have time warped to the 3rd century AD.

reasonist

People like him should be charged with hate crimes. Same as the Imam in his madrassa that spews garbage like that.
But this ignorance begs two questions:

A) Does he know the truth? If yes, he is willfully deceiving his flock of sheep
B) Does he really have no clue? That would make him dense beyond belief (pun intended)

Either way, the result for the congregation is the same. They absorb this nonsense as the undisputed truth, (just like littlenipper). But it shows the basic tenet of every religious cult: trying to control other people's lives. That is the main issue I have with theists and with religion in general. If you are against abortion, don't have one. If you are against gays, don't be one.... leave other people alone!

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

AllPurposeAtheist

Well obviously the Dumster should select him as his running mate..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quotegullible congregation
Redundant.

Quoteare there certain situations where God did indicate slavery, or for people to beat their servants? Absolutely. Absolutely. Of course! But you know what? It’s all right. And I agree with all of it. Why? Because the Bible is God’s Word. That’s why.
This is the perfect example of why inerrancy is among the worst ideas a person could possibly hold.  It's an intellectual straight-jacket that doesn't give room for doubt or reform - it's the death of reason.  And it also compels people to endorse or reject ideas, not on the basis that they're correct or incorrect, but because they fit whatever they've taken as inerrant.

PickelledEggs

At first I hated this pastor, but then I realized he's probably the best thing that ever happened to the anti-theism movement. He practically makes people want to not identify with the church on his own. Less work for anti-theists lol

GSOgymrat

Well at least he can't be accused of cherry picking.

Baruch

People actually like slavery (when they are the master).  In the US context, this is just more The South Rises Again stuff.  If they would just keep it to fried chicken, I could condone it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 07, 2016, 12:22:50 PM
At first I hated this pastor, but then I realized he's probably the best thing that ever happened to the anti-theism movement. He practically makes people want to not identify with the church on his own. Less work for anti-theists lol

Agreed.

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 07, 2016, 12:36:20 PM
Well at least he can't be accused of cherry picking.

:high5:

aitm

oh that nut. Yeah, he is not a fan of Jews either. Google that nut sometime, I think he also denies the holocaust.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 07, 2016, 12:22:50 PM

My reaction exactly. I hope that people like him get more attention because he is like an exaggerated representation of everything that is wrong with religion, and Conservative Christianity in particular. What he says is not anything new, he's just more overt about his bigoted attitudes and blatant ignorance than most are willing to be.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

josephpalazzo

I think that all of us should go to his website, if he has one, and applaud his brilliant logical consistency...

Ok, I just got carried away by some surge of schadenfreude. I'm ok now, I'm breathing normally...Phew...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on March 07, 2016, 02:11:09 PM
oh that nut. Yeah, he is not a fan of Jews either. Google that nut sometime, I think he also denies the holocaust.
Not much room for him to say the Holocaust was bad when his god killed off most of the life on the flippin' planet.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

TomFoolery

I've always wanted to see a reality show where people lived by the laws of Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I say we give him a small patch of land in Nebraska, call it Jesusland or whatever, let the "faithful" move in, and see how long the social experiment of a "true Christian nation" lasts. Granted, we have cults like that in Utah, Colorado, and Texas, but I'm curious how many people would go who weren't born into that kind of lifestyle, and exactly how long they would last when they showed up and drew a lot as a slave or ended up being stoned to death for working on the Sabbath or were cast out into the wilderness for a bad case of acne that was mistaken for leprosy.

So many things would be so interesting to see if fucking ethics didn't get in the way.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.