News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Found a Sylvania 177M television from 1953

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, March 06, 2016, 04:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

My sister bought a vacuum at an auction once. I took it out of the box and noticed the bottom was lined with news papers. The date was 1937. I checked the Hoover and it was dated 1921. It had a broken belt and Sis wasn't interested in fixing it. So I gave her her money back and took the vac to the Field Museum in Chicago. They said it would sell for $700 without the belt. This was based on the fact that the box was the original equipment box for that model and none were known to exist. I said cool and gave it to them. I was out $10 and gas money.

Moral of the story: It might pay to check that old junk before chucking it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 10, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
My sister bought a vacuum at an auction once. I took it out of the box and noticed the bottom was lined with news papers. The date was 1937. I checked the Hoover and it was dated 1921. It had a broken belt and Sis wasn't interested in fixing it. So I gave her her money back and took the vac to the Field Museum in Chicago. They said it would sell for $700 without the belt. This was based on the fact that the box was the original equipment box for that model and none were known to exist. I said cool and gave it to them. I was out $10 and gas money.

Moral of the story: It might pay to check that old junk before chucking it.
That's a great story--and a great ending.   And American Pickers agree with you. 

Had a great reality check a little bit ago.  Went to a small but decent museum in a little gold mining town, Mariposa.  What was interesting was the exhibits that showed the tools that were used to build the houses and many of the tools used in those houses.  All of them evoked memories of my grandfather's old farm; he had used all of those tools, and my grandmother had used all the tools from inside the house, as well.  Hence I know what they were and how to use them.  Damn interesting and is made me feel damn old!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: GreatLife on March 09, 2016, 12:23:05 PM
Please be careful taking that thing apart.

The old TVs with big tubes were not properly grounded.  Some of those tubes are capacitors - which can store a lot of power even after the TV is unplugged.
This thing probably hadn't been plugged into a power source for 40 years.. The biggest harm taking this thing apart was getting a splinter..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 11, 2016, 12:09:53 PM
This thing probably hadn't been plugged into a power source for 40 years.. The biggest harm taking this thing apart was getting a splinter..

Old picture tubes (the big one) if they implode, are dangerous.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Baruch on March 11, 2016, 12:55:10 PM
Old picture tubes (the big one) if they implode, are dangerous.
The big one was already broken. You can see the front from the hole in the back, but I still have it intact.. I have no clue what to do with it though..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

ApostateLois

I definitely would have gutted that beautiful cabinet and installed shelves or drawers. It's hard to find wood furniture at an affordable price. Did you sell the TV frame part yet? It would look great with a mirror in it.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"