SCOTUS to begin hearing gay marriage cases this week

Started by Valigarmander, March 26, 2013, 12:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21932682

QuoteThe US Supreme Court is to consider two landmark cases on gay marriage in back-to-back-hearings this week.

On Tuesday, the justices will weigh a California constitutional amendment banning same-sex unions, passed after gay marriage became legal there.

On Wednesday, a federal law defining marriage as between a man and a woman only, for the purpose of taxes and benefits, is up for review.

The court is expected to hand down its ruling by the end of June.

Outside the court in Washington DC, dozens of people have been queuing, some of them for several days, to secure a seat for the much-anticipated hearings.

Among those in court on Tuesday will be a lesbian cousin of Chief Justice John Roberts, the Los Angeles Times reports.

I'm feeling unusually optimistic about this. I'm willing to bet they'll make the right decision here.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh no! Them queers are taking over and want to make fairies out of every boy scout!
They.ll make it retroactive so even your great great great grandparents are gay and lesbian!

Yes America..Nothing is sacred and your next step will include a penis in your rectum so bend over and take it like a man!

/snark
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GurrenLagann

If they fuck this up....

Conversely, if they perform exceptionally well, Fundies are going to have a fit, and Homosexuals are (I think) likely to be targetted by some wackos here in parts of Southern states.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

mnmelt

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"If they fuck this up....

Conversely, if they perform exceptionally well, Fundies are going to have a fit, and Homosexuals are (I think) likely to be targetted by some wackos here in parts of Southern states.

I fear this as well..
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

BarkAtTheMoon

Just the fact that they're taking on both cases at the same time, I think suggests they're expecting them to be landmark, historic cases, so it seems unlikely the justices will punt on them and give some half assed down the middle decision that pleases nobody but keeps the status quo. Either way, it's going to be the tipping point, and I think even a completely anti-gay marriage decision, it would will still speed up the pace towards equality considering the direction of public opinion polls the past 5 years or so and the number of states already having passed positive gay marriage laws or that have are going to soon. There's around a dozen with a good chance to pass positive ones in the next year. http://www.policymic.com/articles/29294 ... -2013-2014. It's hard to imagine the SCOTUS being soooo shortsighted as to be on the obviously wrong side of history right now.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard