Jon Olivers Comments On Abortion

Started by GreatLife, February 24, 2016, 11:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatLife

I don't know how many people watch Jon Oliver - but I enjoy his snarky comments on society.

Here is his latest on abortion...

https://youtu.be/DRauXXz6t0Y

Sal1981

Pretty similar situation here in the Faroes, if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, only way for her to get an abortion, depends on who's her doctor, and in most cases that means a trip to Denmark for it.

TomFoolery

I live in Texas and it was hard to see my state featured so prominently. Sadder still is that it's actually even worse than what's featured. In Texas, women are required to have a minimum of three appointments: the initial consultation (1), the ultrasound (2), and 24+ hours after that, the actual procedure (3). If it's a late term (anything after 12 weeks) that's stretched to four appointments. For even a medical abortion (a Mifepristone and Misoprostol medication combo) the cost is about $600 at either of the two clinics. For most people, that's a lot of money and it takes time to raise that. After 6 weeks, 6 days, you can't get legally get a medical abortion (you need a surgical abortion), and the cost goes up. That's how a lot of people get priced out of it, because the longer you wait, the more it costs, the longer it takes to raise more money, etc. Of course, giving birth in a hospital will cost you about $10,000 without insurance in Texas (and that's assuming there are no complications), so that's the ultimate cost of failing to raise enough money for an abortion in an adequate amount of time. If you're poor enough, you can get Medicaid to pay for your delivery, but you generally have to be pretty fucking poor.

I currently volunteer for an organization called the Bridge Collective that attempts to provide logistical support to women seeking abortion services. We give rides and offer childcare and temporary lodging to women that have to come into town from hundreds of miles away. I live an hour north of Austin (where there are two clinics: that's currently 25% of the state's total clinics) and drive women to their (multiple) appointments. I've only had four clients, but their stories were pretty diverse and all really sad. Not one was as simple as, "I could have used birth control, but why bother?"
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

When my daughter was born, both her mother and I were unemployed for 4+ months.  It was a pretty scary time ... I guess we had enough savings to COBRA it.  To me, it was like doing trapeze without a net.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GreatLife

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 24, 2016, 03:59:37 PM
I live in Texas and it was hard to see my state featured so prominently. Sadder still is that it's actually even worse than what's featured. In Texas, women are required to have a minimum of three appointments: the initial consultation (1), the ultrasound (2), and 24+ hours after that, the actual procedure (3). If it's a late term (anything after 12 weeks) that's stretched to four appointments. For even a medical abortion (a Mifepristone and Misoprostol medication combo) the cost is about $600 at either of the two clinics. For most people, that's a lot of money and it takes time to raise that. After 6 weeks, 6 days, you can't get legally get a medical abortion (you need a surgical abortion), and the cost goes up. That's how a lot of people get priced out of it, because the longer you wait, the more it costs, the longer it takes to raise more money, etc. Of course, giving birth in a hospital will cost you about $10,000 without insurance in Texas (and that's assuming there are no complications), so that's the ultimate cost of failing to raise enough money for an abortion in an adequate amount of time. If you're poor enough, you can get Medicaid to pay for your delivery, but you generally have to be pretty fucking poor.

It seems obvious to all that the goal is not protection of women, but rather protection of an unborn child.

There are really three states doing the most damage - TX, LA, and MS.  Texas seems to be the thought leader on how to craft legislation and memes supportive of their stance against abortion.  The other two seem to be "me too" type of states.  Focusing on TX is a good political strategy.

I currently volunteer for an organization called the Bridge Collective that attempts to provide logistical support to women seeking abortion services. We give rides and offer childcare and temporary lodging to women that have to come into town from hundreds of miles away. I live an hour north of Austin (where there are two clinics: that's currently 25% of the state's total clinics) and drive women to their (multiple) appointments. I've only had four clients, but their stories were pretty diverse and all really sad. Not one was as simple as, "I could have used birth control, but why bother?"

I just wanted to say thank you for your volunteer efforts.  I have friends who live in the Austin area - conservatives for the most part - they are horrified but won't let their voices be heard yet.  People on the front lines in this battle have my ultimate respect.  Texans are not, as a whole, a very tolerant people.

Mermaid

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 24, 2016, 03:59:37 PM

You do a great service. I'd like to thank you for this.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR