Tech company to leave Georgia after religious freedom bill passed

Started by josephpalazzo, February 23, 2016, 07:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

QuoteFortunately, a pastor is irrelevant to marriage, legally speaking. You're actually married by the state. The pastor just performs the ceremony.

And then takes all the credit for the church when at the end, he says, "I now pronounce you man and wife."  And at that moment in time you are joined together in matrimony, but not a second earlier.  One of the most frequently performed services of a minister or priest is charged with, and it actually serves no purpose.

Gawdzilla Sama

How many states allow secular officiants to perform weddings? Ours came from Korea for our wedding in 2010.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 24, 2016, 05:44:27 AM
How many states allow secular officiants to perform weddings? Ours came from Korea for our wedding in 2010.

I assume they all do, but I don't know that.  There is usually a secular alternative for ceremonies, at least where I have lived.  I seems like a Justice of the Peace is frequently called upon.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what else a Justice of the Peace does.  Is he like a judge?

aitm

I tried to get our justice of the peace to do mine but the bitch still insisted on having three prayers, (another church leader who took the position essentially to keep god around), so I booted her ass and went with the cheapest pastor available. 85,85,85 do I hear a 80, how about an 80,80,80 now i have an 80 do I hear a 75......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on February 24, 2016, 07:46:31 AM
I tried to get our justice of the peace to do mine but the bitch still insisted on having three prayers, (another church leader who took the position essentially to keep god around), so I booted her ass and went with the cheapest pastor available. 85,85,85 do I hear a 80, how about an 80,80,80 now i have an 80 do I hear a 75......

That seems odd.  Is Justice of the Peace a paid position or more like a Notary Public?  If they are appointed by the government, same separations of church and state should apply, it seems.  But I suppose they're not that important to monitor closely.

Baruch

My coworker, is the head of the local motorcycle club.  He is licensed to perform marriages.  But you still have to go thru the rules and paperwork of the county you live in.  So no, it doesn't require any religion at all ... unless you worship Harleys ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.