News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Body Donation to Science

Started by AllRight, February 27, 2016, 06:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllRight

Quote from: aitm on February 27, 2016, 09:46:54 AM
Maybe the "atheist nation" should establish a fund raising. Whenever an evil unbeliever dies, the AN carts the body to an active volcano and charges christians 20 bucks a pop to watch the evil person's body flung into the bowels of hell itself.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH
That seriously made me laugh out loud

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on February 27, 2016, 08:45:30 AM
I like the idea of rotting in the sun so to speak. To me, it would be as close to "reincarnation" by allowing your atoms direct access to the "winds of life"…..sounds bloody romantic eh?

Lakota sky burial?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on February 27, 2016, 09:46:54 AM
Maybe the "atheist nation" should establish a fund raising. Whenever an evil unbeliever dies, the AN carts the body to an active volcano and charges christians 20 bucks a pop to watch the evil person's body flung into the bowels of hell itself.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH

That worked for the early Greek philosopher, Empedocles ... when he got old, he thru himself into Mt Etna in Sicily.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 27, 2016, 09:07:46 AM
My mother had her body donated to science--to Oregon State University, to be exact.  When she died, the body was taken away.  When they were through doing what they were doing, they cremated her body and returned it in an urn to our family.  My mother insisted there be no funeral or burial rite.  She wanted something like all of the family and friends that wanted to attend a wake like meeting, featuring cakes, cookies (two of her favorite things) coffee and soda--and stories of mom.  That all came to pass--and I like it! 

I have not attended a funeral of any of my family and friends for the last 60 yrs.  I will not be attending any in the future.  I do go to funerals that my wife wants to attend, but I go stickily to  support her and nobody else.  Yeah, I know, I'm weird (see the 'weird' thread).  Get used to it.....................

Funerals are rather theistic, particular an Irish wake.  In Celtic belief, you alternate between two worlds.  The other world (not this one) is a better place ... so people celebrate your passing here, to a better place.  When you die in the other world, you are going to a worse place, so at funerals in the other world, they are funereal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllRight

Quote from: aitm on February 27, 2016, 08:26:21 AM
I am planning to be donated to a body farm. Google it. My brother is a professor of forensic sciences and he got me interested in this. Let some one have fun with my stiffy when I am gone.
I did Google this and I think it is a great back up plan if my body doesn't meet the criteria to be donated to science at TOD. Maybe sign up for both and they  can fight over me ;-)

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm donating my remains to Oscar Meyer... Hot dogs anyone?
Nobody will take my dead carcass because I have hepatitis C which excludes me.. Evidently they only want perfectly healthy dead people.

My kids, however, in lieu of me getting turned into all purpose all meat weaners are to have my body put in an envelope and shipped to the naval yards in Philadelphia for burial at sea..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 27, 2016, 01:36:51 PM
Funerals are rather theistic, particular an Irish wake.  In Celtic belief, you alternate between two worlds.  The other world (not this one) is a better place ... so people celebrate your passing here, to a better place.  When you die in the other world, you are going to a worse place, so at funerals in the other world, they are funereal.
The only value for a funeral I could ever figure out was as a reminder or happening to let children that a person is really dead.  If my daughter's mother had died, I would have taken her to her mother's funeral.  In my view, my daughter would be better off if she had a concrete idea that mom had died.  But that would have only been if that happened prior to the time when she could fully understand death.  After that time, I would take he only if she wanted to go.  Other than that, I have no use for them.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Johan

I'm afraid that if I were leave my body to science, its only practical use would be to serve as a warning to others.

Years ago, I felt pretty strongly that I'd want to be cremated after death (but not before). I think most of my motivation for that had to do with not wanting to occupy a burial plot in a cemetery which could then, in theory at least, never be used for anything else for potentially hundreds of years. There was something about the thought of 'taking up space' like that for such a long time after my existence that seemed very arrogant to me.

Honestly these days I'm at the point where I kind of don't give a crap what happens to my remains. At this point once my remains are well, remains, I really couldn't care less what happens to them. Bury me, burn me, prop me up in the corner and make me into some sort of morbid bizzare magazine rack, I really don't care.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

One of my cousins was an atheist and he had a pretty good funeral. He only had pictures of him when he was younger and also his service in the Navy. There was no religious component- family members and friends stood up and told stories about his life (he was a pretty raucous guy, but loyal to wife and family) a very outgoing personality. He wrote a letter that was read at the funeral. All it said was don't mourn, he had a great life and enjoyed it the best he could and urged everyone to do the same. It was much better than the other funerals I've been to.

I have a will that says I should be buried the cheapest way possible, which is cremation. So up in smoke I go.

mauricio

http://www.alcor.org

Either that or complete desintegration. Depends on how i'm feeling that day.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on February 27, 2016, 08:36:07 AM
And the ashes should be scattered, not kept on a shelf.
My dad helps decorate my printer center. You can see the edge of his box between the wood burning template and the mouse. He's holding up Arcane Legions.

Wherever my dead body can be most useful is where it should go. But please, don't let me render a plot of land useless.

AllPurposeAtheist

Burial at sea is free thanks to the US Navy. The only expense may be transporting your carcass to the naval yards.  They used to be in Philadelphia and San Diego.. I'm not sure where they do it now, but if you have an insurance policy that covers body transport I guess that might cover it..

Oh! Here it is.. http://www.seaservices.com/veterans.htm
$195 is cheaper than a nice shining mahogany box nobody will ever see once they plant you in the ground..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

I have donated my body to a faculty of medicine in a univ where I live. So I'm a proud walking talking cadavre and I think that everyone should do it.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

staggeringstaggm

Quote from: AllRight on February 27, 2016, 06:41:08 AM
Sorry if this is morbid, but I am curious to know other atheists thoughts on what they want done with their remains after they die.  I have given this a lot of thought and am considering filling out the form to have my body donated to science.  It's free and I just don't want an expensive open casket funeral or religious service.  I don't know how my family will react but I know I don't want to be buried.  The organization that I read about sends cremated remains to the family 6-12 weeks after the donation.
I'm realizing my age recently, somehow I hadn't so much considered this part. I like the donate idea...I'm all in.
Good luck with your decision, this thread helped me make mine.

Whiskey bent & hell bound!