News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Woodworking

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 19, 2017, 12:18:28 AM
Just testing out the google photo sharing app..

Nope..doesn't do didly squoot.. Never mind..

It may not have done "didly squoot", but my screen sure jumped a lot loading this thread!

Maybe a coincidence, but wow. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

fencerider

I know some people dont consider bamboo to be wood. But this video shows some complicated wood working skills

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JO62aNWbZxo
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on April 01, 2018, 03:43:30 PM
I know some people dont consider bamboo to be wood. But this video shows some complicated wood working skills

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JO62aNWbZxo

Bamboo is a grass.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't have solid structure that can be worked.  One of the problems of searching for Southeast Asian artifacts is that bamboo was a great tool for them, but does not fossilize well.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 02:25:54 AM
No. I mean only building furniture for myself.  Starting with a real workbench.  I'm still using a cheap workbench that doubles as an extension to the old radial saw.  I am intending to build one of those rollable island workbenches like in the woodworking mags, then  some end tables, and finally a dining table.
One of the first things I built after getting reacquainted with working with wood was my bench.. I kind of went with the simple Paul Sellers design which is inexpensive and very well thought out using just plain 2x lumber.. He's got a ton of YouTube videos on the design to walk you through the entire process.
I've got a few years on in experience with the stuff I'm doing now and know the flaws I put in mine so I'll probably get around to rebuilding the top one of these days, but it's served me well for what I paid in material at the time..about $70 all total.  I didn't have a planer at the time so the top isn't very flat and I used softer pine..I'll probably go with yellow pine next time unless I get some outrageously great deal on some hardwood..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 04, 2018, 06:14:34 PM
One of the first things I built after getting reacquainted with working with wood was my bench.. I kind of went with the simple Paul Sellers design which is inexpensive and very well thought out using just plain 2x lumber.. He's got a ton of YouTube videos on the design to walk you through the entire process.
I've got a few years on in experience with the stuff I'm doing now and know the flaws I put in mine so I'll probably get around to rebuilding the top one of these days, but it's served me well for what I paid in material at the time..about $70 all total.  I didn't have a planer at the time so the top isn't very flat and I used softer pine..I'll probably go with yellow pine next time unless I get some outrageously great deal on some hardwood..

There are several workbenches in my woodworking magazines and I have collected them on my dining room table to compare.  I'm going to choose one, but I need a balance between my construction skills and the quality.

I'm better at rough carpentry.  [url][http://cavebearslair.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-compost-bin.html/url]

But I plan to build a pair of end tables with "floating" tops this year and a dining room table next year.

fencerider

You got the skills. The only thing that is different is that you gotta be a little bit more careful when you are measuring and cutting. ... and all those little things like changing from a 24tooth blade to an 80tooth blade.
and if something is driving you crazy there is probably a video on yutube to show how to make the jig that you need.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on May 28, 2018, 02:51:36 PM
You got the skills. The only thing that is different is that you gotta be a little bit more careful when you are measuring and cutting. ... and all those little things like changing from a 24tooth blade to an 80tooth blade.
and if something is driving you crazy there is probably a video on yutube to show how to make the jig that you need.

I agree that my detail work needs work.  I'm slowly getting better, but I need to be more careful in the final measurements.  An and table will be goot pratice.