Translated article: Avoiding death penalty by artificial insemination

Started by Mr.Obvious, February 16, 2016, 07:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

QuoteFemale prisoner inseminates herself and avoids death penalty.

To avoid the death penalty, a female prisoner in Vietnam bought sperm from a fellow detainee and used it to get pregnant. The child should come into this world in april. In Vietnam, pregnant women and mothers of children under three years may not be executed. The newspaper Thanh Nien wrote Tuesday, under force from the judicial system, that four guards were suspsended.

The 42-year old woman had payed about 2000 euro worth for the sperm in a jail of the North-Vietnamese province of Quang Ninh. With the help of a syringe, she inseminated herself. The police was not found for commentary on the matter.

The woman was sentenced to death in 2014 on the account of drugtrafficing. If the deathpenalty is declared against a pregnant woman or a mother of a child under three years old, the verdict must be changed to life in prison. In 2007 there was a similar case, in which the woman succesfully avoided her deathsentence.

Source: http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/959/Bizar/article/detail/2618496/2016/02/16/Vrouwelijke-gevangene-bevrucht-zichzelf-en-ontloopt-de-doodstraf.dhtml

This caught my eye, for sure. Thought I'd share.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

In a world of infinite possibilities..... sounds like a plan. Too bad it won't work for guys.

Baruch

The Romans had the same law.  So she gets executed in 9 months ... not much of a good thing, and then the baby is an orphan, not much consideration for the baby.  She should have hung herself, and saved the State from spending on a bullet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

No, she would at least live until her child reaches the age of three. But as I understand it, she'll be allowed to live after that, stuck in prison for life. Which is weird, because how can she be a mother if she's stuck in prison for the rest of her life? Then again, I'm really opposed to death-penalty so it's not that I'm cross she dodged the bullet... It's just... strange.

Baruch

The world is against women and mothers and children.  Just ask them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 17, 2016, 06:42:02 AM
Ya lost me there baruch.

Men run the world, women and children are property.  Women and children suffer as a result.  So why should a male run penal institution make any breaks for women prisoners?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on February 17, 2016, 07:02:03 AM
Men run the world, women and children are property.  Women and children suffer as a result.  So why should a male run penal institution make any breaks for women prisoners?

I'm sorry but is that some sort of sarcasm I'm not picking up on? I'm really not the best in picking up on stuff like that. Especially when it is written. It just seems I'm missing something fundamental in your posts. Sorry.
The way I'm reading your first post it seems to me that you're saying that this exception-loophole which allows a woman (but not a man) and potentially her unborn child, to survive the deathpenalty is an indication that the world hates women. While I agree for as far as I can see sexism comes into play in this, one could use this to argue the opposite.
In your second post, if you aren't being sarcastic, you seem to agree that this penal institution does not follow the way you vision the grander world-society. And if you are being sarcastic, I seem to be missing your real point of view :p

Sorry, I sometimes just don't understand you Baruch. Often, admittedly. But in this context, that's okay, because reading this article I don't know how I feel about the whole business myself anyways.

SGOS

That woman deserves a Kudos of Creativity.  "Brava!  Well done."

Baruch

Mr Obvious - actually if I am sarcastic, I put ;-) or ;-)) or (sarc).  I was completely serious, just coming from a POV or culture alien to yours.  I am a strong believer in the Marxist view that most people, to avoid lives of brutality, nastiness and not short enough duration ... live in a false consciousness called personality, embedded in a fictional social Matrix called culture.  An oyster dealing with the symptoms, not the cause, by building a pearl.

The idea that women have become liberated is ... IMHO ... a false consciousness.  Being a harridan is just more socially acceptable now.  Just as the notion that colored folk have become liberated (at least in certain places), because we have extended servitude to all races.  My experience is quite different from the propaganda called news coverage and editorials.  We seem to be, to me, a 19th century dysfunction in terminal decline, with fancy technology painting us into a corner ever faster, because we have prematurely abandoned our pragmatic predatory ways, thanks to false money supplies where people think they can have their cake and eat it too ... thus reducing in the mind and temporarily ... not in real life or for long term, the essential Darwinian struggle.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Baruch, was it you who called the suicide hotline to convince all the people who answer the phones that it's all a futile attempt at humor?  We're all going to die anyway so what's the point in trying to stop anyone from getting it over with?
I can just see the headlines.. Baruch the cause of mass suicide at the suicide hotline and the editorial board of the newspaper is all dead from apparent suicide.. In fact, you should run for president on the hopelessness ticket.. 
Oh wait.. That would make you a republican.. Carry on.. ;)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Idealists believe that we already live in Star Trek land (or will be shortly).  Idealists don't need to take drugs ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Nonsensei

No one gonna talk about executing someone for drug trafficking?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Baruch

Quote from: Nonsensei on February 19, 2016, 02:20:02 PM
No one gonna talk about executing someone for drug trafficking?

I think most people still think that drugs are bad for you, unless prescribed by the AMA.  The doctors kill their patients too, but drug dealers can't get malpractice insurance.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

I remember reading a story about female pirates in from a book I found in the school library when I was like in 4th or 5th grade about Anne Bonny. The book went into more detail than you would think was necessary for an elementary school library about how she "pleaded her belly" to avoid a hanging.

I know at least English law had a long provision for delaying executions of sufficiently pregnant women. I would imagine a lot of women would claim pregnancy to get out of getting killed even if they weren't pregnant. I know I probably would if I had to, thinking in the back of my mind that a lack of a fetus was simply a minor detail I could hash out later.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?