Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Baby names that defy general phonics

Started by TomFoolery, January 30, 2016, 10:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 30, 2016, 02:47:50 PM
I met a man recently whose name was U-Neek pronounced like "unique." Unique has always struck me as a stripper name.

Like Moan-ique ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on January 30, 2016, 01:55:41 PM
Fiji is interesting in its pronunciation of certain letters.
c makes a 'th' sound, and b has an 'm' sound in front of it.
So.. if we look at famous rugby players, for example:
Sireli Bobo is pronounced Sireli Mbombo
Bill Cavubati is pronounced Bill Thavumbati
Rupeni Caucaunibuca is pronounced Rupeni Thauthaunibutha
I don't know if this is just Fiji or other Polynesian islands too.

I would guess there are E African immigrants in Fiji.  Mb- and Nd- are E African consonants found in Swahili.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on January 30, 2016, 03:29:06 PM
My name is Mert

Oh so you are a Mert. Nice one. Much better than new trendy ones. Hani şu eski (güya) isimleri koyuyolar ya...Bogatay, Batıray, Tonguçhan... Bi' de o kız isimleri ne öyle yav... Ceylin, Cansın, Ahsen, Ahueda...vs. :lol:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 31, 2016, 02:09:40 PM
Oh so you are a Mert. Nice one. Much better than new trendy ones. Hani şu eski (güya) isimleri koyuyolar ya...Bogatay, Batıray, Tonguçhan... Bi' de o kız isimleri ne öyle yav... Ceylin, Cansın, Ahsen, Ahueda...vs. :lol:

: )

Dünyaya ve insanlığa -sonsuz zaman boyutunda ''an'' teşkil eden ömürlerimiz zarfında- bir bakış attığımız yaşamımızda adım bana bir ateist olarak ölümlü olduğumu anımsatıyor : ) Bir de evrenle kıyaslayınca boyutlarımız bir zerre oranında bile değil...Bence bunlar insanı mütevazi kılıyor...

Aynen sırf kuran'da geçtiği için aslında mana ifade etmeyen isimler koyuyorlar...En saçması ve popüler olanı bence ''aleyna''...isim bile değil :D selamun aleyküm(selam/barış üzerine (olsun)' deki ''üzerine'' :D

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on January 31, 2016, 02:51:41 PM
Aynen sırf kuran'da geçtiği için aslında mana ifade etmeyen isimler koyuyorlar...En saçması ve popüler olanı bence ''aleyna''...isim bile değil :D selamun aleyküm(selam/barış üzerine (olsun)' deki ''üzerine'' :D

Hadi ya, Aleyna'nın anlamı o muymuş? puhahaha..lol Bence onu kuranda geçiyor diye değil de, klasik Batı dillerindeki isim ve kelimelere benzeyen bir ses ahengi var diye koymuşlar da sonra kılıf uydurmuşlar. Bizde vardır ya o tarz özentiler tüm 'alt sınıf halklar' gibi. Hani işçi sınıfı ile burjuva da farklı isimler koyar falan... Aslında belki yargılamak kötü, ne istiyorlarsa koysun insanlar da...çok eğreti-özenti geliyo kulağa be. "Aleynaaa gel kızım, yemek hazır." Ne biliyim.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

My name is pronounced Martin, but I spell it Zybhinxchsdi. The zybhxchsd and I are silent.  The Mart is infered.. Actually it's what my signature sort of looks like in a dark room at night to a blind person..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

widdershins

I was just spouting off on this to my family the other day.  Well, not this, in general, but a specific name I have trouble taking seriously.  "Megyn Kelly".  That Y pisses me off.  I don't know why, but I simply can't take someone named "Megyn" seriously.  I know nothing about her, but in my head she's an idiot bimbo.  Well, to be fair, I know she's on Faux News, so that may have something to do with my impression of her.
This sentence is a lie...

TomFoolery

Quote from: widdershins on February 01, 2016, 04:16:27 PM
"Megyn Kelly".  That Y pisses me off.  I don't know why, but I simply can't take someone named "Megyn" seriously.

I'm not exactly sure when the movement to upgrade Y, the sometimes vowel, to Y, the WHY NOT? vowel became so prevalent. I always wonder what parents were trying to prove when you encounter a name that should have two or three As, Is, or Es, and they've all been replaced with the letter Y.

Why choose a boring name like Madeline when you can have a Madylyn instead?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

widdershins

Quote from: TomFoolery on February 01, 2016, 05:15:37 PM
I'm not exactly sure when the movement to upgrade Y, the sometimes vowel, to Y, the WHY NOT? vowel became so prevalent. I always wonder what parents were trying to prove when you encounter a name that should have two or three As, Is, or Es, and they've all been replaced with the letter Y.

Why choose a boring name like Madeline when you can have a Madylyn instead?
To be fair, I gave my first daughter an unusual name.  It's actually a Russian man's name, and a kickass space telescope.  But, dammit, I didn't fuck with the spelling!  And I went to school with a girl with that name and always liked it.
This sentence is a lie...

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2016, 12:23:58 PM
I would guess there are E African immigrants in Fiji.  Mb- and Nd- are E African consonants found in Swahili.

Could be. I didn't know that.  :biggrin:

Hakurei Reimu

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne:  :97: "My plan to increase demand for Y's is coming to fruition!"
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

The Skeletal Atheist

My name is Brett. Short, simple, and to the point right? Not so, many people (not just foreigners) have trouble pronouncing it.

Sent from Hell

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!