News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Baby names that defy general phonics

Started by TomFoolery, January 30, 2016, 10:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I met a man recently whose name was U-Neek pronounced like "unique." Unique has always struck me as a stripper name.

SGOS

[/quote]
Quote from: Hydra009 on January 30, 2016, 02:39:18 PM
Eh, he/she could grow up to be the head of a department.  It's chair, if you will.  :P

I know.  I thought of that.  When I worked at the University of Maine, I developed a theory that people's names must influence their careers, because the lady than ran the student cafeteria was Mrs. Lunch, the administrator of the university motor pool was Mr. Trip.  There were also a couple of others that followed that pattern, but I can't remember now what their names were or what they did.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 30, 2016, 02:39:18 PM
Eh, he/she could grow up to be the head of a department.  It's chair, if you will.  :P

Giving your child names that are normally considered titles is awful and so limiting. I've met a few women and girls named things like Princess and Queen. I also heard of someone naming their son Magistrate but I can't confirm that directly. But what if your last name is a common male surname like Henry or Thomas? Princess Thomas?

I'm all for expanding gender identities, but let's be honest, with a name like Princess Thomas you're setting your kid up for failure.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 30, 2016, 02:47:50 PM
I met a man recently whose name was U-Neek pronounced like "unique." Unique has always struck me as a stripper name.

Yeah, you might want to think twice about naming your little girl Bubbles or Fanny.

GSOgymrat

I have a relatively unusual name: Ford. I like it as an adult but as a child it was annoying. I've heard every car reference imaginable, however when I meet someone who says "like Ford Prefect?" I know I have met a kindred spirit.

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on January 30, 2016, 02:49:50 PM
Giving your child names that are normally considered titles is awful and so limiting. I've met a few women and girls named things like Princess and Queen. I also heard of someone naming their son Magistrate but I can't confirm that directly. But what if your last name is a common male surname like Henry or Thomas? Princess Thomas?

I'm all for expanding gender identities, but let's be honest, with a name like Princess Thomas you're setting your kid up for failure.
So, no chandler, clark, dexter, duke, dean, marshal, parker, regina, rory, or sigourney?

SoldierofFortune

My name is Mert; I love my name and its meaning...

It's not a coincidence that it resembles the word mort'al and simply means ''mortal''...

It has acquired some nuanced meaning like ''brave'', ''hero'', ''valiant'' but actually comes from ''to die''

indo-european: *mer-: to die;
latin: mori: to die
latin: mortuus: dead
english: murder: to make someone be dead...

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 30, 2016, 03:07:31 PM
So, no chandler, clark, dexter, duke, dean, marshal, parker, regina, rory, or sigourney?

I think the key word was normally.

Like "officer" or "sergeant" or "archbishop."

Duke is kinda iffy. That sounds more like a dog's name than a human one.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 30, 2016, 03:01:33 PM
I have a relatively unusual name: Ford. I like it as an adult but as a child it was annoying. I've heard every car reference imaginable, however when I meet someone who says "like Ford Prefect?" I know I have met a kindred spirit.

Ford Tough

facebook164

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on January 30, 2016, 03:29:06 PM
My name is Mert; I love my name and its meaning...

It's not a coincidence that it resembles the word mort'al and simply means ''mortal''...

It has acquired some nuanced meaning like ''brave'', ''hero'', ''valiant'' but actually comes from ''to die''

indo-european: *mer-: to die;
latin: mori: to die
latin: mortuus: dead
english: murder: to make someone be dead...
In swedish "mert" (or more exactly "mört") is a small fish noone but the cats like...

stromboli

I knew a girl named Honeybee. For some reason she hated her father.

Nonsensei

Gotta be careful though. Name your kid Chair, they might start going by their middle name. Better make it Couch to cut that off at the pass.

Chair Couch Daniels.

Rolls right off the tongue.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hydra009

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on January 31, 2016, 12:13:22 AM
I knew a girl named Honeybee. For some reason she hated her father.

I wonder why?  Using her as a pawn in an effort to be clever?