Who is voting in a presidential primary?

Started by Solomon Zorn, January 26, 2016, 12:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

It's such a hassle for me now, having to get a ride their and back, since they closed the polling center that was within walking distance (20 minutes each way). I really want to though, so I will figure something out.

But why would they consolidate already time consuming polling centers? It seems to me that the added congestion will only discourage impatient people, like me, from putting in the time. I hate long lines. I like to get there before the poll opens, and be as close as possible to the front.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hakurei Reimu

They try to restrict voting because they know it makes a difference.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Sylar

I'm most likely going to, but I'm not sure whether California Primary makes a difference or not.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Unbeliever

Quote from: Paul WeyrichAs a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

See if you can poll early.  Often here the polls are open, at the county office, the weekend before the election.  Vote early and often ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Baruch on January 26, 2016, 07:11:44 PM
See if you can poll early.  Often here the polls are open, at the county office, the weekend before the election.  Vote early and often ;-)
I'll try that.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on January 28, 2016, 01:42:14 PM
I'll try that.

Better than standing in a long line, outside, after work, in the snow ... because Hell just froze over ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm going. I have to wait until March 1st, but I'm going.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

widdershins

The long lines are by design.  The Republicans don't want average people to vote in large numbers because there are only so many "rich people" votes to offset them to elect Republican candidates.  They are doing everything they can to reduce the number of voters, ironically, claiming to be combating "voter fraud" while doing so.

We really need some common-sense election laws put into place to combat all the Republican fuckery.  The wait to vote should never be more than 15 minutes or so.  And if one party gets several percentage points more in the popular vote and still loses the election shenanigans should be called immediately and the race should go to the real winner.  And if one party receives only 50% of the popular vote but still somehow wins 75% of Congressional seats, again, the representatives should be balanced to reflect the actual will of the people.  And if it can be proved that redistricting was for the purpose of swaying elections that should be a treason charge which carries a death sentence.  The Republicans love them some death penalty.  Let the fuckers have it.
This sentence is a lie...

Mermaid

It's incredibly important. I am voting if I have to drag myself there.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Because of the situation I have with social security (long story) I'm registered in Ohio to vote or was supposed to be.  In fact I registered at the secretary of state office in downtown Columbus Ohio in person, but strangely never received a confirmation that they told me I would get in the mail . The Ohio Secretary of state is one of the asshats who goes out of his way to restrict voting in Ohio so I strongly suspect my registration was shitcanned and never actually processed.
Now I could register here in SC, BUT that has implications for my income which is SSI which is administered by the states and I have zero want to have to go through the process of having it moved from Ohio to SC. I'd lose my income until SC got around to it and this state has a shitty reputation for being notoriously slow and difficult when it comes to SSI. I'd love to vote and think it's one of the few actual patriotic things everyone should do, but I just cannot afford to go through the shit I'd have to do to vote.
Side note, the whole voter fraud thing is a complete farce. My dad , 87 can no longer vote for the simple reason that he was born at home in 1928 and never issued a birth certificate. Even though he served 4 years in the US Marine corps, worked his entire life,  raised 5 kids who all served SC won't accept a single form of identification he has to register to vote. He owns property and pays his taxes,apparently here he's completely ineligible to vote because of 'voter fraud'.  He too could vote in Ohio, but at his age he has lost all faith in the system and isn't about to make a special trip to Ohio just to vote.
Even though I'm not voting this time around I have contributed money to the Bernie Sanders campaign and still donate (though not as much as before) to the Democratic party.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Write or call the election commission in Ohio, and vote absentee.  Don't give up the ship!  (Battle of Lake Erie is basically N Ohio).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.