News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Can You Say "Gay Mormon Superhero?"

Started by stromboli, January 25, 2016, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/meet-the-worlds-first-gay-mormon-superhero_us_569d3f96e4b0b4eb759f6a50

A game-changing comic book is offering a fresh take on the way religion and sexuality intersects with comic book culture.

Called Stripling Warrior, the project from So Super Duper Comics follows Sam Shepard, a happily out newlywed who receives a visit from an angel on his wedding night calling him, in the words of author Brian Andersen, to be "the hand of God on earth."

The series, illustrated by James Neish, is meant to be an exploration of the mythology of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through a queer lens.

"Basically, I wanted to mine the religious lore and mythology of the Mormon Church to empower a homosexual hero -- to show that a gay character is every bit as worthy in the eyes of God as any heterosexual one," Andersen told The Huffington Post.

Check out the the interview below to learn more about this project and to see a selection of illustrations from Stripling Warrior.

QuoteThe Huffington Post: What is your overarching vision for Stripling Warrior?Brian Andersen: My overarching vision and concept for Stripling Warrior is to tell a fun, sexy, perhaps provocative story by taking familiar superhero tropes and casting them into a comic book about an average guy who’s a gay Mormon superhero. Because everyone loves a gay Mormon, right? (Wait, what…they don’t?)

Basically, I wanted to mine the religious lore and mythology of the Mormon Church to empower a homosexual hero -- to show that a gay character is every bit as worthy in the eyes of God as any heterosexual one.

If I can tell an entertaining story that anyone can enjoy, whether you’re familiar with Mormonism or not, whether you’re homosexual or not, than I’ve done my job.

And if my little comic can bring some small measure of comfort and pleasure to those who’ve felt marginalized by their faith because of their sexuality then I’ve hit a touchdown.

It might be silly to think a comic book can accomplish this -- but I’m not opposed to being silly.

Right now in Utah a group of 15 old men (known as the Q15 by exmos; Q is for Quorum) are face palming over their warm milk and cookies. Btw, more sexier pictures in the article. Enjoy

:85:

Munch

QuoteWhat do you want people to take away from your work?
"I’d love to stimulate my readers by giving them a metaphorical comic book chubby -- or a geeky lady boner for the gals."

I saw this comic advertised, it honestly didn't appeal much to me.

I'd sooner spend my cash on comics about the incredibly hung naked justice and his lightning bolt shooting wang.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
(there was so much for flutter-censor to work with, so I shortcut it)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

I am disappointed, Munch. Without your approval my day is ruined. I will soldier on with a heavy heart.

Hydra009

Am I the only one waaay more interested in his power set than sexuality?  Apparently, it's pretty vanilla - superhuman speed, strength, and jumping.  Let's hope the characterization and plot are good.

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 26, 2016, 10:59:21 AM
Am I the only one waaay more interested in his power set than sexuality?  Apparently, it's pretty vanilla - superhuman speed, strength, and jumping.  Let's hope the characterization and plot are good.

If this is the product of a Mormon mind, don't get your hopes up.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on January 26, 2016, 10:42:30 AM
I am disappointed, Munch. Without your approval my day is ruined. I will soldier on with a heavy heart.

It has all my approvals, its just that it can't compete with a naked muscled superhero who shoots lightning from his tackle ^^
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin