News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anonymous

Started by Jannabear, January 20, 2016, 11:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

What's your guys opinions on the political impact of anonymous?
Including
Hacktivism
Marches
Protests
Political action
They've had geopolitical impact at this point.
if you want an example look up the million mask march in london, it was
fucking
huge.

AllPurposeAtheist

Something always seems amiss with anonymous.  Anyone can claim to be anonymous and gum up the works at any time without any repercussions. There's always a sense of the lack of accountability.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

I have a feeling that it's not as organized as they make it seem. They're split up in to different groups, not necessarily communicating with each other and sometimes they take action that I don't think really helps at all. Some of the stuff they pull is flat out terrorism to our countries and other "enemy" countries, but on the other hand some of it is genius. (when they hacked in to The Westboro Babtist Church to get the database of members, I was laughing my ass off, but it still was very illegal and very on the brink of terrorism.

doorknob

Well yes as a psuedo programmer and wanna be hacker

I can say I have no problems with white hat hackers. (people who just poke around to see how things work and changing nothing!) In other words computer nerd busy bodies.

All hacking how ever is illegal and while doing it on the down low and keeping it ultra unharmful yet ultra secret might not get you caught. Any other hacking is digital anarchy/terrorism.

Some day I swear I'm going to make my own virus that tracks down the makers of pop up virus and other annoying viruses and gives them a nasty time cleaning things up. I know good luck to me but a girl can dream.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jannabear on January 20, 2016, 11:54:55 AM
What's your guys opinions on the political impact of anonymous?
Including
Hacktivism
Marches
Protests
Political action
They've had geopolitical impact at this point.
if you want an example look up the million mask march in london, it was
fucking
huge.

If hackers don't play God, who will?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

widdershins

Every once in a while they fight a good cause, but mostly they're just a bunch of anti-corporate pompous jerks who don't do much to actually help anyone.  Unless you count the boost they're giving to their own egos when they hack something.  Of course, the nature of their loose-knit organization makes it difficult for them to maintain any sort of standard, but still, they would do better as a smaller, invitation-only group with a centralized purpose which didn't include hacking random companies and people because said random company or person pissed them off.  Overall, as a group, they seem kind of petty most of the time, though they do occasionally fight a good fight that I am behind 100%.
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

1. Guy Fawkes masks
2. Digital anarchism
3. Yet another controlled opposition?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jannabear

Personally I'm getting involved in it for the political activism, though I do find some of their hacktivism to be good to.
I plan on going to a march later in the year.

pr126

Another professional SJW? There are enough grievance mongers already.
Get a job.

Jannabear

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2016, 06:24:24 AM
Another professional SJW? There are enough grievance mongers already.
Get a job.
What the fuck are you even talking about?
I'm not even an sjw.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Jannabear on January 21, 2016, 06:08:56 AM
Personally I'm getting involved in it for the political activism, though I do find some of their hacktivism to be good to.
I plan on going to a march later in the year.

What is the purpose of the march? I don't have an opinion about Anonymous because I don't understand their goal or philosophy. I probably just don't know enough about them.

Youssuf Ramadan

They bring issues to the surface that many of us would probably have missed.  I find that side of it interesting.  Like someone said, I don't think there's a much cohesion but I wouldn't expect that from a collection of disparate hacktivists anyway.  I think that's in their favour in some ways...

Jannabear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 21, 2016, 06:51:39 AM
What is the purpose of the march? I don't have an opinion about Anonymous because I don't understand their goal or philosophy. I probably just don't know enough about them.
Anonymous is pretty much the philosophy that if you band together under one name you can accomplish anything.
It has no direct goal or purpose, though it's typical goals are along the lines of fighting for freedom of speech, fighting against shitty governments, fighting against legal injustices, and fighting against shitty people.
They've taken action against pedophilia websites on the deep web, they've had massive anti capitalist marches, they've had marches in america against many of the shitty things our government has done, they've hacked websites for political and moral reasons, they've taken part in helping the homeless, and countless other things.
It's a philosophy held by many who see injustices in the world who want to bring change.
Keep in mind a massive majority of them are activists, and don't take part in hacking websites.

Jannabear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 21, 2016, 06:51:39 AM
And the march I'm going to is probably mainly anti capitalist

pr126

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/anonymous-trolling-day-against-isis-begins-with-group-s-day-of-rage-mostly-consisting-of-posting-a6769261.html

This is OK by me.
However, they think that ISIS are idiots.
No, the are mass murdering psychopaths in the name of their abhorrent cult aka Islam.
They belong to the 7th century.
This will not change anything with ISIS.
They are immune to anything except a 9 mm in the forehead.