God's Law Should Be America's Law (Except for me of course)

Started by TomFoolery, January 19, 2016, 02:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 20, 2016, 09:50:23 AM
Who is threatening to sue who for what?

Threatening to sue the store for pregnancy discrimination under Equal Opportunity. Interestingly enough, the store (Mardel) is owned by Hobby Lobby.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: TomFoolery on January 20, 2016, 06:32:44 PM
Threatening to sue the store for pregnancy discrimination under Equal Opportunity. Interestingly enough, the store (Mardel) is owned by Hobby Lobby.

In that case I hope the settlement puts them out of business.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

TomFoolery

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 20, 2016, 07:56:16 PM
In that case I hope the settlement puts them out of business.

I don't actually think it would go anywhere. She's not a full-time employee and hasn't been working there for 12 months. I understand the sentiment and personally think it's wrong, but two wrongs doesn't make anything right either.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

widdershins

I think the laws actually go a little too far to protect employees.  Don't get me wrong, employers will trample all over their employees every chance they get.  My last boss actually used the words "beck and call" to describe my duties when he took me off the illegal straight commission he was paying me as a full-time employee and started paying me hourly.  But I think a business should be able to set a certain "look" that they require for employees interacting with customers.  Hooters should be able to refuse employment to Mama June because she's a disgusting blob and that's not what they're going for.  Abercrombie should be able to say that employees can't wear a hijab because that's not a product the employees are hired essentially as models to promote a certain look which showcases their merchandise.  And Christian bookstores should be able to tell an employee that since their physical appearance does not promote the values expected by shoppers at their establishment they can no longer work there.  Personally, if I worked at a Christian bookstore I would not expect to be able to show up for work wearing a Satanica tee shirt or tire rim in my ear lobe.

Now, for most businesses this is normally not an excuse.  Taco Bell certainly has no legitimate gripe that you've just been signed for a season of Sixteen and Pregnant.  But these types of specialty businesses cater to a specific clientele who have certain expectations.  If the employee's appearance doesn't reflect those expectations then they should expect to find employment at a place without such specific clientele.  Put bluntly, a pregnant teen girl with no wedding ring is bad for business at a Christian book store.  If an employee would cost the store business they should have no expectations of remaining an employee, plain and simple.
This sentence is a lie...