God's Law Should Be America's Law (Except for me of course)

Started by TomFoolery, January 19, 2016, 02:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

I have a lady I used to work with at a bookstore that helped me out a lot when I was younger. She's a nice lady but in recent years she's become an extremely devout Baptist. I set her to ignore on Facebook for frequently posting memes insisting the Bible should be studied in school and insisting America's penal code could be simplified to the 10 Commandments.

Well, she's an assistant manager at a Christian bookstore and her daughter works there with her also. Of course this 17 year old daughter just recently discovered that she's pregnant (out of wedlock). Here's the kicker: the store manager has cut her daughter's hours to almost nothing. Apparently it isn't good for business having an obviously teenage pregnant employee with no ring on her finger.

Now she's threatening to sue.

I just get so tired of the mindset that this country should bend to God's will as stated in the Bible but even people who believe that think that they alone should be some kind of exception.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

widdershins

It's human nature to think that your circumstances alone are deserving of exception to absolute rule.  Many people, myself included, think we need tougher drunk driving laws with much harsher punishments.  Of course, I didn't think in such absolute terms when my favorite nephew got picked up twice in two weeks for drunk driving.  Instead I sympathized with the fact that he had just come out as gay and my family wasn't accepting, he was going through some shit, he was a good kid who made a mistake...repeatedly.

While I'm the first to pile on the bandwagon against Christian exceptionalism, in this case I've seen the same thing in myself, so I can at least understand it.  As for our laws being simplified by the Ten Commandments, that's just stupid.  Only two of them are absolutely illegal in all circumstances, one of them illegal only when done in an official manner and one of them a civil matter, not a legal manner.  The other six, including the top five, are just pointless and have no bearing whatsoever on American law.
This sentence is a lie...

Unbeliever

Quote from: TomFoolery on January 19, 2016, 02:54:09 PM
I have a lady I used to work with at a bookstore that helped me out a lot when I was younger. She's a nice lady but in recent years she's become an extremely devout Baptist. I set her to ignore on Facebook for frequently posting memes insisting the Bible should be studied in school and insisting America's penal code could be simplified to the 10 Commandments.

Well, she's an assistant manager at a Christian bookstore and her daughter works there with her also. Of course this 17 year old daughter just recently discovered that she's pregnant (out of wedlock). Here's the kicker: the store manager has cut her daughter's hours to almost nothing. Apparently it isn't good for business having an obviously teenage pregnant employee with no ring on her finger.

Now she's threatening to sue.

I just get so tired of the mindset that this country should bend to God's will as stated in the Bible but even people who believe that think that they alone should be some kind of exception.

Sometimes it may not be so bad to live according to the Bible, but most people can only live by what they believe to be in the Bible. They don't even read it to find out what this Great Message From God has to say to them. They only read, at best, the feel-good parts, like a few Psalms or whatever.

But they insist on pushing their worldview on everyone around them, and justify it by invoking scripture, like they have any idea what scripture says.

Quote from: George Bernard ShawNo man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it means what he says.

Quote from:
Eli S. Chesen, M.D.
The Bible, then, is used not as an authority, but as a vehicle with which a man can promote his own prejudices.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

TomFoolery

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 19, 2016, 05:53:17 PM
Sometimes it may not be so bad to live according to the Bible, but most people can only live by what they believe to be in the Bible.

They work at a Christian bookstore though. It's not like they don't understand the source material. If she was to live by the law of the Bible her daughter is getting off light by simply being slowly laid off instead of stoned to death in public.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

The wacko English Puritan exiles who came here, are a gift that keeps on giving ;-)  When they were whacking each other in England during their Civil War ... they weren't the life of the party then either.  Hence their exile here, to Planet Penal Colony.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

So they could ram their religious freedom down the gullets of those already here.
God Not Found

aitm

I think it was John Wesley, founder of the Methodist church who complained loudly for respecting other religious views, while he was being persecuted, and then once he came to power, put all his detractors to the pyre. So, they have plenty of experience in cherry picking and hypocrisy.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 19, 2016, 07:04:53 PM
So they could ram their religious freedom down the gullets of those already here.

Gotta save the souls of the New England natives, before you exterminate them in King Philip's War.  Blame Squanto.  Sorry, Patriots fans, you are going down next weekend.  Too bad not to the KC Chiefs ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 19, 2016, 06:03:01 PM
I don't suppose they'd submit to a Bible quiz, huh?

Generally, atheists who came out of an Abrahamic tradition, have actually read the Bible, and have some understanding of it.  But then in America, we don't read much, and the Bible is long and boring.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Somewhat harmless when coming from a bookstore manager. More alarming when it comes from the Chief Justice of Alabama:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yup, 10 commandments should be law.. if I'm wearing new shoes and you say,  NICE SHOES! I should be allowed to kill you on the spot for coveting my shoes..no doubt about it..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on January 20, 2016, 08:30:30 AM
Somewhat harmless when coming from a bookstore manager. More alarming when it comes from the Chief Justice of Alabama:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore

Judge Roy Moore - Law West of the Wing-nuts
God Not Found