"Sites like that are just atheists trolling Christians..."

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, January 19, 2016, 08:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

"...and should be shut down."  A. Relative.

For those of you who don't know I have a rather ... challenging ... set of relatives. Many of them are snake handlers, hard core Southern Baptists, Kluxers, Oath Keepers, Defenders of the Constitution, or a combination of all those.

So I linked to a thread here and got the above response. Given that the person speaking had sworn to defend the US Constitution with their life (but refused to serve in the military) I was quite amused.

"You can't disrespect Jesus in this country, it's against the law!"

"Which law, please?"

"All of them, damn it!"

"Oh, okay, thanks."

Anyway, just thought I'd share with you all how evil it is to even read these forums. And those of you who contribute are surely going to Hell.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Sounds like the people I grew up with, if you substitute Mormon for Christian. Fortunately no relatives quite that wacky. But I can sympathize. Was told by a Mormon Elder's quorum leader I was reading satanic stuff at one point, and more than a few people of my acquaintance over the years are of the "Oathkeeper" variety. Seems like the narrower the mind the more certain the opinion.

Gawdzilla Sama

I replied that DISH network had 27 channels that were wholly or partially devoted to religious propaganda. That last word infuriated her.  :think:
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Having the US, such as it was and is, as defender of the Free World, during the Cold War, and since ... is quite a ironic development.  "American Gothic" doesn't quite capture it ;-)  You can laugh or cry at the antics of the monkey people.  Just don't mess with the Big Organ-grinder In The Sky!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 19, 2016, 08:09:41 AM
"...and should be shut down."  A. Relative.

For those of you who don't know I have a rather ... challenging ... set of relatives. Many of them are snake handlers, hard core Southern Baptists, Kluxers, Oath Keepers, Defenders of the Constitution, or a combination of all those.

So I linked to a thread here and got the above response. Given that the person speaking had sworn to defend the US Constitution with their life (but refused to serve in the military) I was quite amused.

"You can't disrespect Jesus in this country, it's against the law!"

"Which law, please?"

"All of them, damn it!"

"Oh, okay, thanks."

Anyway, just thought I'd share with you all how evil it is to even read these forums. And those of you who contribute are surely going to Hell.

Sounds like you'd be right at home with Archie Bunker, huh?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

Besides, how could this (or any other site) be trolling Christians (or anyone else) who doesn't come here?
God Not Found

Hydra009

Not to mention the fact that they're using "trolling" wrong.  It has a very specific meaning, people!

Baruch

I preferred to cast from the shore, not from a boat ;-)  The guys in the Sea of Galilee were trying to troll, if the wind would push the boat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 19, 2016, 07:01:19 PM
Besides, how could this (or any other site) be trolling Christians (or anyone else) who doesn't come here?
They would never come here to find out what we are actually doing. The "A word" in the site name would stop that.
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

Fight the good fight, Gawdzilla! Afflict the ideologically comfortable, with the facts, until they squirm! You seem to be confident, that you can do it safely. Just be careful, when arguing, not to stoop to their level. :violent-smiley-007:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on January 22, 2016, 07:18:52 AM
Fight the good fight, Gawdzilla! Afflict the ideologically comfortable, with the facts, until they squirm! You seem to be confident, that you can do it safely. Just be careful, when arguing, not to stoop to their level. :violent-smiley-007:
Actually, they've offered to kill me to send me to my Judgement quicker so that I will understand that there is, indeed, a Heaven and a Hell. The only problem is that they know I'm better at that kind of thing than they are. (Very few of them have actually done any time in the military and those that have did jobs that weren't very dangerous. They all know my own record.)
PZ Myers

Munch

You should remind your relatives, that they have the freedom to believe whatever they want, just like you have the freedom to not follow anything anyone else tells you. And if they don't like that way of thinking, they can move to the middle east.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on January 22, 2016, 08:02:30 AM
You should remind your relatives, that they have the freedom to believe whatever they want, just like you have the freedom to now follow anything anyone else tells you. And if they don't like that way of thinking, they can move to the middle east.
They're already in the Midwest.
PZ Myers