News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I need an avatar

Started by widdershins, January 07, 2016, 05:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

I've been a member for more than 5 years now.  It's about time I get an avatar, but choosing/making one is so hard!  I have ideas, but I have no idea how to make them a reality as nobody ever used the words "artistic talent" in a conversation about me unless that sentence also included the words "total lack of".  The only idea I have right now is animated.  While very simplistic, it is still well beyond my skills.  Hell, even one simplistic frame is beyond my skills unless I nab pictures from elsewhere, rip them apart and rework them.  I can modify other people's work (by "modify" I mean "remove parts and combine with parts from OTHER other people's work without adding ANY original content of my own) and I can do CAD type stuff (I'm very good with the types of drawings a robot would do.  You know, draw a line from point 1,3 to point 17,14, create a perfect circle centered at point 112,217 with a radius of 14, etc.

So, given that I'm essentially a robot when it comes to drawing, and that I don't want to arbitrarily rip off the works of other random people on the Internet without their consent and mash them together to make something that "looks like", but really isn't "mine", any suggestions?  I suppose I could just rip off one of the smileys from here.  It's not like you guys wouldn't at least know where it came from.  Is there a grumpy one?  I am getting old.
This sentence is a lie...

Unbeliever

Why can't you just use an avatar from the web?

Just a suggestion...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

^ Also, it's a trivial matter to resize/crop a suitable avatar-sized pic from any digital picture.

Mr.Obvious

Why not take a picture of a nice, zen beach? It's just that it seems to me like you're stressing out about this more than need be.
And it's not like you have to keep the avatar you start with. Just go with what you want, trying and mucking about until you find what's right for you, if ever?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

widdershins

I could use an avatar from the web, yes, but I feel bad about using someone else's work, especially if they may not approve of it used as an avatar on an atheist forum.  But more than that, I'm fussy.  I want it to "mean something".  I suppose I'll just think harder about it and eventually come up with something.  When I finally pick one it will be either the lamest or most profound avatar ever!
This sentence is a lie...

Munch

take a photo of yourself, but have an anime or kawaii face over the mouth and eyes.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

It's not hard, yer over thinking it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

I have a question. I'm going in to the city tomorrow... Should I wear my black denim jacket? or my blue hoodie?

stromboli

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 07, 2016, 08:56:58 PM
I have a question. I'm going in to the city tomorrow... Should I wear my black denim jacket? or my blue hoodie?

Depends. Ghetto or uptown?

PickelledEggs

Chelsea/Soho

Sent from my Nexus 6 using your mom.

stromboli

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on January 07, 2016, 09:30:52 PM
Hoodie.
Thank you. I'm glad I asked the forum about such a pressing issue.

aitm

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 07, 2016, 08:56:58 PM
going straight or gay?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on January 07, 2016, 09:33:44 PM
going straight or gay?

Well thanks aitm, that just skews the whole thing.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: aitm on January 07, 2016, 09:33:44 PM
going straight or gay?
Now I have to rethink the whole thing!