News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God is simple, not complex

Started by Salinger, January 04, 2016, 07:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salinger

This is to correct a common misunderstanding that many atheists seem to have, namely, the mistaken belief that God is complex. God is simple, not complex. That's why God is the most parsimonious explanation for the mystery of existence - for why there is something rather than nothing.

In theology, the doctrine of divine simplicity says that God is without parts. The general idea of divine simplicity can be stated in this way: the being of God is identical to the "attributes" of God. (source: Wikipedia: Divine simplicity)

josephpalazzo

Well whether your fictional character is simple or complex, he's still fictional. Now run away and go play with the children...

Hydra009

Quote from: Salinger on January 04, 2016, 07:11:55 PMGod is the most parsimonious explanation for the mystery of existence - for why there is something rather than nothing.
Words are wind.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Salinger on January 04, 2016, 07:11:55 PM
That's why God is the most parsimonious explanation for the mystery of existence - for why there is something rather than nothing.

Of course God is an explanation for the mystery of existence. Aborigines believe the universe was created by a rainbow serpent. That is also an explanation. To declare a Christian (or Muslim or Jewish or whatever god) is the most parsimonious explanation really illustrates a lack of creativity.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

GSOgymrat

The doctrine of simplicity is a pleasant concept but God's "attributes" appear to be a point of contention for many.

Hakurei Reimu

This is to correct a common misunderstanding that many atheists seem to have, namely, the mistaken belief that God is complex. God is simple, not complex. That's why God is the most parsimonious explanation for the mystery of existence - for why there is something rather than nothing.
...because you say so.

Are you a hit-and-run poster, or are you going to stay to flap your meat at us?
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

stromboli

We don't sit around thinking about a nonexistent god. That would be like expressing opinions of what color the Tooth Fairy's dress is.

Nonsensei

You suggest that God is the simplest explanation for the "mystery" of existence. Actually, if simplicity is going to be the most valued attribute in determining an explanation for existence, then the simplest explanation is that everything just IS. No god necessary. In fact, positing a God adds a great deal of complexity to an otherwise super simple conclusion
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

stromboli

Its too early for Bob Jones U to be out for spring break, so it looks like we got a freelancer here. I'm sure there will be a seminary lesson to follow.

Nonsensei

Quote from: stromboli on January 04, 2016, 08:02:23 PM
Its too early for Bob Jones U to be out for spring break, so it looks like we got a freelancer here. I'm sure there will be a seminary lesson to follow.

I bet he never comes back. You guys insult them too quickly. They never stick around to play.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Mermaid

Atheists commonly believe God is a complex God?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 04, 2016, 08:08:41 PM
I bet he never comes back. You guys insult them too quickly. They never stick around to play.

You mean the act dumb part? Damn it, my bad.

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 04, 2016, 08:08:41 PM
In such a small amount of time, he's given us so much material to make fun of. It's not our fault that he's intellectually retarded.

Salinger

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 04, 2016, 07:57:25 PM
You suggest that God is the simplest explanation for the "mystery" of existence. Actually, if simplicity is going to be the most valued attribute in determining an explanation for existence, then the simplest explanation is that everything just IS. No god necessary. In fact, positing a God adds a great deal of complexity to an otherwise super simple conclusion

That's a concession, not an explanation.