News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why Atheists Need To Become Even Louder

Started by stromboli, January 04, 2016, 08:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

You can speak against faith, religion, whatever but speak against Islam at your own peril - you'll get all those Islam apologists howling you down... beware...

stromboli

I think the video made some good points. Like has been mentioned a few times, atheists aren't exactly uniform in their stances on stuff, but the things mentioned in the video I think are commonly agreed upon.

Most of what atheist activists do is reactive in nature. The more proactive in my opinion the greater exposure, although for sure it draws the most ire and criticism. But exposure and visibility matters, and we should encourage it.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: josephpalazzo on January 04, 2016, 08:48:08 AM
You can speak against faith, religion, whatever but speak against Islam at your own peril - you'll get all those Islam apologists howling you down... beware...

That is not my experience. No one I know in real life defends Muslims or Islam. For example, just today I was talking with some airline employees and many believe that airline employees shouldn't be allowed to wear religious head ware-- "It's a uniform, practice your religion on your own time and if you don't like it don't work for US airline"-- and discussed how there needs to be more profiling by government agencies, not less.  It is estimated that 51% of Americans don't want to accept Syrian refugees if they are Muslim, that number changes if the refugees are Christian. Yes, there are vocal people online who defend "moderate Muslims" but in reality few people in the US agree with the tenants of Islam and defenders of Islam in the US seem to come from arguments of fairness, inclusion and liberty, not arguments the religion itself is true or has merit. Criticizing Islam in the US is not taboo, unless perhaps you attend a wealthy, liberal college campus, and even those students admit they are trying to create a "safe space," an artificial bubble that isn't like current society. The leading Republican presidential candidate wants to ban ALL Muslims entry to the US. The Christian Right has nothing good to say about Islam and many don't believe Islam deserves the same legal protections as Christianity because "America is a Christian Nation."

Because "America is a Christian Nation" I don't criticize Islam very often. To me Islam is merely another brand of Abrahamic nonsense with a faction of fanatical and ultra-violent followers. Living in North Carolina, a Republican state, no one in my daily life is trying to impose Islamic law or traditions but Christians are actively trying to impose their values and Christians do control the government. I don't criticize Islam as frequently as Christianity simply because Muslims aren't in my face or coming unsolicited to my door.

Anti-Islam Sentiment In America: US Has Less Favorable Attitudes Toward Muslim, Arab Communities, Poll Finds

http://www.ibtimes.com/anti-islam-sentiment-america-us-has-less-favorable-attitudes-toward-muslim-arab-2236277

Favorable attitudes toward American Muslims have dropped from 48 percent to 33 percent since 2010, while over the same period favorable attitudes toward American Arabs have dropped 49 percent to 40 percent, according to the poll, conducted by Zogby Analytics, a nonpartisan research firm based in New York.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 04, 2016, 01:01:14 PM
That is not my experience. No one I know in real life defends Muslims or Islam. For example, just today I was talking with some airline employees and many believe that airline employees shouldn't be allowed to wear religious head ware-- "It's a uniform, practice your religion on your own time and if you don't like it don't work for US airline"-- and discussed how there needs to be more profiling by government agencies, not less.  It is estimated that 51% of Americans don't want to accept Syrian refugees if they are Muslim, that number changes if the refugees are Christian. Yes, there are vocal people online who defend "moderate Muslims" but in reality few people in the US agree with the tenants of Islam and defenders of Islam in the US seem to come from arguments of fairness, inclusion and liberty, not arguments the religion itself is true or has merit. Criticizing Islam in the US is not taboo, unless perhaps you attend a wealthy, liberal college campus, and even those students admit they are trying to create a "safe space," an artificial bubble that isn't like current society. The leading Republican presidential candidate wants to ban ALL Muslims entry to the US. The Christian Right has nothing good to say about Islam and many don't believe Islam deserves the same legal protections as Christianity because "America is a Christian Nation."

Because "America is a Christian Nation" I don't criticize Islam very often. To me Islam is merely another brand of Abrahamic nonsense with a faction of fanatical and ultra-violent followers. Living in North Carolina, a Republican state, no one in my daily life is trying to impose Islamic law or traditions but Christians are actively trying to impose their values and Christians do control the government. I don't criticize Islam as frequently as Christianity simply because Muslims aren't in my face or coming unsolicited to my door.

Anti-Islam Sentiment In America: US Has Less Favorable Attitudes Toward Muslim, Arab Communities, Poll Finds

http://www.ibtimes.com/anti-islam-sentiment-america-us-has-less-favorable-attitudes-toward-muslim-arab-2236277

Favorable attitudes toward American Muslims have dropped from 48 percent to 33 percent since 2010, while over the same period favorable attitudes toward American Arabs have dropped 49 percent to 40 percent, according to the poll, conducted by Zogby Analytics, a nonpartisan research firm based in New York.

I agree with your post. However, I was addressing Islam apologists: there are few, but loud, vocal, pernicious and mean-spirited. They are generally from the LEFT and their defense of Islam can easily reach the heights of absurdity.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Over-reaction.  The existence of even one person, who doesn't condemn all Muslims, who isn't a Muslim terrorist with a bomb strapped to themselves ... is either a Muslim apologist or a Infidel apologist, right?

There are nut cases out there ... why are you listening?  Waiting for a radio transmission from Fearless Leader thru your tooth fillings?  This is advice to myself as well.  One nut case who gets under your skin, can ruin your entire day, if you let him.

There are no Muslim apologists posting here, because there are no Muslims posting here.  There are some Infidel apologists ... as well as some Infidel polemicists.  Careful how one words modifies another.  Muslim apologist by itself, is a double entendre.

I liked the video too ... even if a bit over-acted.  Certainly a less cosy relationship formally between religion and politics (outside the US) and informally between religion and politics is a good idea.  I also want to say something good about the so-called New Atheists .. atheism is in much better shape now that it is not allied to or confused with Communism.

A warning though ... is New Atheism just controlled opposition, run from a secret office in the basement of the Vatican?  As an idea, I don't see the Queen of England or the Pope going along with this ... unless it is simply a beau jeste.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

CloneKai

wish Muslim nations had some sort of atheistic voice  :banghead:

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on January 04, 2016, 06:18:53 PMThere are no Muslim apologists posting here, because there are no Muslims posting here.
Correct.  We used to have one or two every now and then.  To be honest, they're pretty much exactly like evangelical Christians just with Muhammad instead of Jesus as their spiritual BFF.  Very annoying.  I don't miss them one bit.