Irish movie about an atheist 8-year old girl

Started by Sal1981, January 02, 2016, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I will watch it when I have time ... if only to drink in the Irish that I don't understand.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

For those who don't want to watch the short film:
[spoiler]In the first parts of the short film there's those cliché atheistic responses to god belief; with rejection. In the middle of the short film she's seen reading through a book on Charles Darwin (where the hell did she get such heavy lifting book is for the viewer to speculate on), and gives a pretty bad idea on how she became an atheist.

However, it's not until the very ending of the short movie, which sorta gives the whole reason why she became atheistic, with a single line by the protagonist: "I prayed for you to get better", while standing in front of a grave, presumably her deceased father.

TL;DW/R 8-year old becomes atheist because prayer fails.[/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on October 03, 2016, 10:47:54 PM
It is a kind of mental breakdown with older college students who go off the rails.  I overheard a geology grad student explain to her adviser that she had become very religious and couldn't reconcile her textbook learning with her Bible learning.  Glad I wasn't the professor, glad I wasn't dating her.  It is like multiple personality problems are real, and some people go "click" and change into a different person.  That kind of thing wouldn't happen to a child however .. though most child prodigies who go to college early never amount to much, Doogie Howser not withstanding ;-)
"LastSemesteritis", but not what I was talking about. The lady in question started out with the goal of disproving modern geology. This meant that she would be lying abut everything she did in the courses, for the great glory of God, of course.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Given the history of general culture toward atheism, I have to suspect that the "atheist" is more a vague "deist" and/or will be converted ("saved") somehow at the end...  At the least, her sanity will be questioned or left in doubt.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!