Irish movie about an atheist 8-year old girl

Started by Sal1981, January 02, 2016, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Shiranu

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately the Irish culture is still a few decades behind in some regards when it comes to religion... both here in America and back home.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

A bit late in the making & sorry for the necro-bump, but here's the short film with English subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anW9NoMmFrY

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur

Sal1981

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 03, 2016, 01:09:06 PM
Synopsis, please.
8-year old rejects belief in god. As to why, that's in the ending. It's only 11 minutes long.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 03, 2016, 05:10:05 PM
8-year old rejects belief in god. As to why, that's in the ending. It's only 11 minutes long.
On that, I'm not spending eleven minutes. I hope everyone who sees it enjoys it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Not seen it yet but will watch it.

Maybe it will be explained in the ending, but the premise is kind of questionable. From the setting, we can tell the girl lives in a rural area of ireland, surrounded by Catholicism, likely her parents are as much, given she is being made to go to church. When I think children growing up in a religious setting, I think how they are indoctrinated from an early age and so don't know anything other then what their piers tell them.

Still the movie might have a twist as to why a child that age in ireland is saying she's an atheist, since lets be honest, atheism in out of the way places unlike the church doesn't really have gathering places, and apart from online information (which I'm not sure what era this is set in), you rarely find that out of outreach, from a lot of real life stories about atheists living in religous households around the world.

Edit: Reading the comment section of the video, its funny how while some rational posters tell it like it is, that all children are born atheist and are taught or indoctrinated into religion from an early age, the religious posters are convinced the opposite is true, that children are born religious are taught atheism. The fact they don't understand what indoctrination or atheism is tells a lot why such a movie can be made.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hijiri Byakuren

An eight-year-old child is too young to know what they believe yet.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 03, 2016, 05:52:13 PM
An eight-year-old child is too young to know what they believe yet.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).

Apparently you have to be nine.

Nine-Year-Old College Student Aims to Become the Astrophysicist Who Proves Existence of God

https://pjmedia.com/parenting/2016/09/30/nine-year-old-college-student-aims-to-become-the-astrophysicist-who-proves-existence-of-god/

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 03, 2016, 06:03:45 PM

Nine-Year-Old College Student Aims to Become the Astrophysicist Who Proves Existence of God

https://pjmedia.com/parenting/2016/09/30/nine-year-old-college-student-aims-to-become-the-astrophysicist-who-proves-existence-of-god/

poor kid, she's going to have a fruitless career.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

There are child prodigies in church preaching too ... but I don't think they know much about life yet.  Similarly there are Muslim children who can recite the entire Quran by heart ... but don't know what it means.

It is a Christian view, that children are naturally religious.  The Jewish view is the opposite.  For Christians society eats away at natural faith, for a Jewish person, proper behavior needs to be beaten into you if necessary.  In my personal experience, it probably depends on the individual, and generalization is futile.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 03, 2016, 06:03:45 PM

PZed talked about some gal that went for a Ph.D. in geology so she could prove "flood geology" was the real deal. Never heard from her on that.
PZ Myers

Baruch

It is a kind of mental breakdown with older college students who go off the rails.  I overheard a geology grad student explain to her adviser that she had become very religious and couldn't reconcile her textbook learning with her Bible learning.  Glad I wasn't the professor, glad I wasn't dating her.  It is like multiple personality problems are real, and some people go "click" and change into a different person.  That kind of thing wouldn't happen to a child however .. though most child prodigies who go to college early never amount to much, Doogie Howser not withstanding ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

The trailer didn't show much.  The plot has potential.  I would have to actually see it, before commenting.  The venue of a short film causes me to wonder.  I think atheism is worth exploring in depth.  And about all you can do with a 10 minute film is create a short shock with something highly unconventional such as creating 8 year old character who has reasoned her way out religion.  That would be hard for me to identify with, since my own journey was much more of a struggle that lasted 5 times longer than an 8 year old's entire life.