New low for political discourse

Started by GreatLife, December 31, 2015, 10:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatLife

Is it possible for any human to show that they are more stupid than Donald Trump?

He doesn't support climate change because of hair spray...

Forget the fact that hair spray has nothing to do with climate change... forget the fact that we have solid scientific evidence that the hole in the ozone is getting better...  What is important to Trump is availability of hair spray to make him look good.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-hair-spray-hilton-head

TomFoolery

According to Donald Trump: And you know what else really grinds my gears? Scientists just can't decide on what's bad for the environment. First it was CFCs. Then it was DDT. But scientists say GMOs and the MMR are safe? It's all alphabet soup and these scientists are just out to hurt businesses. Just today I heard it snowed in Greenland. Tell me, if it's snowing in a place called Greenland, how can there be global warming? I'm just gonna keep using my hairspray and eating my DDT and let's stop acting like scientists are God, mkay?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

GreatLife

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 31, 2015, 11:19:35 AM
According to Donald Trump: And you know what else really grinds my gears? Scientists just can't decide on what's bad for the environment. First it was CFCs. Then it was DDT. But scientists say GMOs and the MMR are safe? It's all alphabet soup and these scientists are just out to hurt businesses. Just today I heard it snowed in Greenland. Tell me, if it's snowing in a place called Greenland, how can there be global warming? I'm just gonna keep using my hairspray and eating my DDT and let's stop acting like scientists are God, mkay?

Damn, hadn't heard the Greenland quote.  I HOPE that he is eating DDT... it would make for a nice end to the man.

No geography skills either...  he will attempt to aim a nuclear weapon at the middle east and hit Russia.

stromboli

Putting this guy in the white house would be like adding 2 extra lanes on the road to ruin.

TomFoolery

Quote from: GreatLife on December 31, 2015, 12:33:45 PM
Damn, hadn't heard the Greenland quote.  I HOPE that he is eating DDT... it would make for a nice end to the man.

No geography skills either...  he will attempt to aim a nuclear weapon at the middle east and hit Russia.

That was a test. He didn't actually say those things, but isn't it sad that you could believe he would?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Unbeliever

Quote from: GreatLife on December 31, 2015, 12:33:45 PM

Or Texas.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mermaid

So DDT was banned in the USA in the 70s. I guess literacy has no bearing on whether people will vote for you.

sigh.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Unbeliever

Hey, if someone would enjoy having a beer with you, that's usually good enough to secure their vote.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 31, 2015, 03:37:28 PM
Hey, if someone would enjoy having a beer with you, that's usually good enough to secure their vote.
I doubt that anyone would enjoy having a beer with Trump.

He's boned. :mrgreen:
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Johan

When I was in high school we had to do the elect a class president bullshit. As was typical, a couple of kids from the academic over-achievers crowd threw their hats in the ring and each prepared thoughtful campaign speeches that would hopefully motivate the rest of us morons to vote for them.

On the day of the speeches, a bunch of kids from the stoners crowd thought it would be a blast to nominate one of their own and picked one of the most popular guys in their group. He walked onto the stage, stoned I'm sure, and otherwise completely unprepared. He gave an off the cuff speech in which he made jokes about the teachers and administration to roars of applause, he advocated to allow smoking of cigarettes and 'others substances' in the bathrooms, and promised that if elected the class trip would be to Jamaica and insinuated that money for said trip would be raised via the sale of drugs.  The crowd went berserk. He was elected by a landslide.

I understood that day was happening and why. Just say whatever comes to mind that will get a positive reaction and get some buzz going. Once the buzz starts, say more bullshit to get the going louder. Even though the crowd understands full well that you will NEVER accomplish anything you've just promised, you've made them laugh and you've made them have a good time during an otherwise mind-numbing arduous process and so, they will vote for you.

I understood then and now how and why that will work every time with a group of a few hundred high school teenagers. I even believe it could be made to work pretty effectively for a small local election. But I never really thought anyone could pull off the same stunt in a national presidential election. However Trump looks like he's now poised to do exactly that.

I hate to say this but Trump could be the one person that actually gets me to register and vote. Not for him obviously, but against him. Which ironically is one of the reasons I gave up voting in the first place. I hated the fact that almost no one ever votes for a candidate anymore, rather we're almost always voting against the other guy. As Lewis Black said, picking which one to vote for is like trying to decide which bowl of shit is going to taste less vile. There is something that just seems inherently broken about that to me, so I decided I no longer wanted to be a part of it and I stopped voting. But Trump? He could change that. He could actually get me off the couch and to a voting booth this November just so I can vote for whatever talking stuffed pinto bean the other side props up to run against him. Well done sir. Well done.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mike Cl

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2016, 12:48:37 PM
When I was in high school we had to do the elect a class president bullshit. As was typical, a couple of kids from the academic over-achievers crowd threw their hats in the ring and each prepared thoughtful campaign speeches that would hopefully motivate the rest of us morons to vote for them.

On the day of the speeches, a bunch of kids from the stoners crowd thought it would be a blast to nominate one of their own and picked one of the most popular guys in their group. He walked onto the stage, stoned I'm sure, and otherwise completely unprepared. He gave an off the cuff speech in which he made jokes about the teachers and administration to roars of applause, he advocated to allow smoking of cigarettes and 'others substances' in the bathrooms, and promised that if elected the class trip would be to Jamaica and insinuated that money for said trip would be raised via the sale of drugs.  The crowd went berserk. He was elected by a landslide.

I understood that day was happening and why. Just say whatever comes to mind that will get a positive reaction and get some buzz going. Once the buzz starts, say more bullshit to get the going louder. Even though the crowd understands full well that you will NEVER accomplish anything you've just promised, you've made them laugh and you've made them have a good time during an otherwise mind-numbing arduous process and so, they will vote for you.

I understood then and now how and why that will work every time with a group of a few hundred high school teenagers. I even believe it could be made to work pretty effectively for a small local election. But I never really thought anyone could pull off the same stunt in a national presidential election. However Trump looks like he's now poised to do exactly that.

I hate to say this but Trump could be the one person that actually gets me to register and vote. Not for him obviously, but against him. Which ironically is one of the reasons I gave up voting in the first place. I hated the fact that almost no one ever votes for a candidate anymore, rather we're almost always voting against the other guy. As Lewis Black said, picking which one to vote for is like trying to decide which bowl of shit is going to taste less vile. There is something that just seems inherently broken about that to me, so I decided I no longer wanted to be a part of it and I stopped voting. But Trump? He could change that. He could actually get me off the couch and to a voting booth this November just so I can vote for whatever talking stuffed pinto bean the other side props up to run against him. Well done sir. Well done.

Yeah, I've noted the same thing about our elections that you have.  But instead of not voting, I just voted for the most obscure 3rd party on the ballot as my own feeble protest vote.  Even wrote in Mickey Mouse once or twice.  The only time I did not do that was in the local elections and on the prop. votes.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Johan

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 01, 2016, 01:09:53 PM
Yeah, I've noted the same thing about our elections that you have.  But instead of not voting, I just voted for the most obscure 3rd party on the ballot as my own feeble protest vote.
Which is valid. But you have to admit, it accomplishes the exact same thing in the end as me not voting in nearly all cases. In fact one could probably argue that while you and I accomplish exactly the same thing as far as our votes go, one of us sucked away the resources required for transport to where the vote was cast (assuming you didn't walk or ride your bicycle), cast a vote which then needed to be counted and verified (thus using more man-power, resources and money) and in the end accomplished the exact same thing me who stayed home.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mike Cl

Quote from: Johan on January 01, 2016, 01:22:45 PM
Which is valid. But you have to admit, it accomplishes the exact same thing in the end as me not voting in nearly all cases. In fact one could probably argue that while you and I accomplish exactly the same thing as far as our votes go, one of us sucked away the resources required for transport to where the vote was cast (assuming you didn't walk or ride your bicycle), cast a vote which then needed to be counted and verified (thus using more man-power, resources and money) and in the end accomplished the exact same thing me who stayed home.
Yeah, I see you point.  But I vote by mail.  So, there is a resource drain, but not all that much.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Johan

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 01, 2016, 04:33:11 PM
Yeah, I see you point.  But I vote by mail.  So, there is a resource drain, but not all that much.
Voting by mail is a good option and likely what I'll do should I actually participate this time around.

Baruch

Some precincts allow early voting in person a few days early ... and that is my favorite.  That way you avoid the crowds on election day,
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.