I'm starting to think J.J. Abrams might secretly hate Science Fiction.

Started by Nonsensei, December 31, 2015, 08:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Quote from: Atheon on January 01, 2016, 08:43:00 AM
In Star Trek, didn't Abrams have ships battling with each other at warp speed?

In Force Awakens, you see ships communicating with each other in hyperspace, as well as communication between people in normal space and the ships in hyperspace.

I always thought traveling at warp speed and hyperspace were like being isolated: once in them, nothing from outside can reach you.

Nah its always been possible. Just watch Best of Both Worlds part 1. The Borg cube both fires on and beams drones onto the Enterprise bridge while both ships are at warp.

As to communicating during a hyperspace jump in Star Wars, it never happened in the movies before but I also don't recall it ever being said that it was not possible.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Nonsensei

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 01, 2016, 05:49:13 AM
Star Wars is not a science fiction movie. It's space opera which became a sub genre, because it doesn't bother with science fictional elements. It doesn't need it either. It just mixes space action and melodrama. While science fiction is very hard to define, futuristic elements like laser guns and inter galactic are not enough to make one.

With all due respect to Wikipedia, Lucas himself refers to it as science fantasy. Either way the science is in there.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Atheon on January 01, 2016, 08:43:00 AM
In Star Trek, didn't Abrams have ships battling with each other at warp speed?
That's always been a thing. I don't recall if they ever did it in TOS, but TMP onward has always had at least one scene of combat at warp.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 01, 2016, 05:49:13 AM
Star Wars is not a science fiction movie. It's space opera which became a sub genre, because it doesn't bother with science fictional elements. It doesn't need it either. It just mixes space action and melodrama. While science fiction is very hard to define, futuristic elements like laser guns and inter galactic are not enough to make one.

good point. Star Wars, as I have stated, is more western shoot em' up than science fiction.