Grandmother Shot for Opening Door for Cops

Started by Shiranu, December 30, 2015, 05:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/chicago-grandmother-killed-police-was-being-good-citizen-n487051

QuoteBettie Jones, along with 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier, her upstairs neighbor, who was also killed by police on Saturday morning, have become the latest symbols in a city roiled by anger over alleged police abuse.

Latarsha Jones and two of her sisters told NBC News on Monday that the events were "shocking" and "terrifying."

Latisha Jones said her mother was probably just opening the front door for the police Saturday morning.

"She was probably thinking, 'I'm going to open the door, let them in," she said. "'They're going to go upstairs and handle whatever's going on. I'm going to come back, close my door and get back in my bed.'"

nstead, Latisha added, "My mom wound up getting shot."

Chicago police have said they "confronted a combative individual" just after 4 a.m. on Saturday. Friends and neighbors told NBC affiliate WMAQ that LeGrier â€" a college student at Northern Illinois University who was home on break â€" had recently shown signs of mental illness and was threatening his father with a baseball bat. When police arrived, they shot him seven times, his mother said.

His father, Antonio LeGrier, filed a lawsuit against the city Monday alleging that LeGrier was unarmed and "never posed a danger of threat or harm."

The story that has been told several time on local news is that she opened the door, they saw LeGrier coming down the stairs with the baseball bat, and began to open fire with her getting caught in the middle.

Another day, another black family torn apart by police who cant keep their sick fantasy of shooting black people to the gun range or video games.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

This sounds so crazy, I find it hard to believe it honestly. But it is there. What is the motivation or the circumstances that escalated the attitude of the cops.

I mean 'trigger happy' doesn't cover this, does it?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 30, 2015, 05:48:25 AM
This sounds so crazy, I find it hard to believe it honestly. But it is there. What is the motivation or the circumstances that escalated the attitude of the cops.

I mean 'trigger happy' doesn't cover this, does it?

I'll be fair to the cops... he was accordingly rushing with a bat down the stairs. I feel like they should have plenty of distance between themselves and him but I'm guessing they felt otherwise.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on December 30, 2015, 05:55:17 AM
I'll be fair to the cops... he was accordingly rushing with a bat down the stairs. I feel like they should have plenty of distance between themselves and him but I'm guessing they felt otherwise.

Well, what does 'a bat' tell to someone who is trained, belongs to an armed authority and armed himself? There is no danger or risk. It's ridiculous.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

The Skeletal Atheist

Baseball bat. Should I use the taser? Should I use my pepper spray? Nah, I'll just shoot him.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Unbeliever

If the cops are even telling the truth about what happened with the bat. I'll wait for a video, if one exists.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 30, 2015, 06:03:37 AM
Well, what does 'a bat' tell to someone who is trained, belongs to an armed authority and armed himself? There is no danger or risk. It's ridiculous.
The only way to "defend" yourself with a gun is to shoot the other person. Escalate the violence, as it were. If a man was attacking you with a bat and you didn't have a gun what would you do?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 30, 2015, 06:09:48 PM
And yet, an old white lady brandishes a gun, and guess what? She doesn't get close to shot!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-north-carolina-woman-arrested-after-brandishing-bb-gun/
I broke my clicker finger repeatedly liking this post.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 30, 2015, 06:09:48 PM
And yet, an old white lady brandishes a gun, and guess what? She doesn't get close to shot!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-north-carolina-woman-arrested-after-brandishing-bb-gun/

Not always ... I know of a case where the old White lady was deaf, and didn't hear the police order to drop her gun ... she was fleeing her own house because of a break-in.  Cops are armed, love to shoot, mostly miss (at least in NYC).  Domestic situations are the most feared by everyone, and often unarmed but violent people are shot, not just the ones who are armed.  A couple years ago, there was an altercation between a mom and her teenage daughter.  The father was there and called the cops.  The cops came, and shot the father to death.  Don't call the cops!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.