News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Veterans Asshattery

Started by Draconic Aiur, December 13, 2015, 06:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

These guys that you're bad-mouthing put others as a priority before themselves, putting their lives on the line with the belief that it will make a positive change for their family and the people back home.

They also fight for your right to tell them that they're ass-hats. Some people that are sent over seas are complete assholes when they come back, I know one person that was a complete prick when he came back... but he also was a complete prick way before he decided to sign up for the military... There are plenty more people that go to to fight, come back and aren't assholes. Point is: you're over generalizing with what you personally perceived from a small selection of veterans.

Munch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RKBcs9tNWg8

Yep, these soldiers are complete assholes, I mean just look at how they hug their dogs! I'm so ashamed of the human race.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

And there are pets who are still waiting.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

yeah, guess there are. There are many good soldiers, and many asshole ones, because thats people in general.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on December 20, 2015, 07:22:39 AM
yeah, guess there are. There are many good soldiers, and many asshole ones, because thats people in general.
Yeah, people doing what's needed, whatever their motivation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

The problem of assigning behavior traits to a specific group is that everyone has different motives for their actions. I know very few gung ho fuckers that want to kill the satanic infidels in the Middle East, and a whole bunch of people that served either for personal reasons/education (one of my reasons) /got drafted back in the day, whatever. Know exactly one (1) Vietnam vet that volunteered, an ex Navy Seal I used to work with. Definitely a gung ho motherfucker.

I also had a friend dead now from the effects of Agent Orange who had to fight for benefits every other year and another who begs outside of Walmart sitting in a wheelchair. My son has had to fight for his benefits even though they were awarded by the VA.  I've learned to try to judge people one at a time. There are definitely asshats, but I personally try to avoid them.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Jason Harvestdancer

The only time I've ever used "I'm a veteran" in an argument was when arguing with some armchair general about the urgent need for other people to go out and fight wars that the armchair general thought were important enough to fight but not important enough to do anything about themselves.  I don't believe our current several wars are worth it, and like many people in the military I'm not very much in favor of going to war.

So beyond that, I really am not sure exactly what the OP is talking about.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

stromboli

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on December 20, 2015, 02:16:41 PM
The only time I've ever used "I'm a veteran" in an argument was when arguing with some armchair general about the urgent need for other people to go out and fight wars that the armchair general thought were important enough to fight but not important enough to do anything about themselves.  I don't believe our current several wars are worth it, and like many people in the military I'm not very much in favor of going to war.

So beyond that, I really am not sure exactly what the OP is talking about.

Agree on all points JH.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Veterans' Lament (Originally "Tommy" by Rudyard Kipling.)

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
    O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
    But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
    For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
    But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
    The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
    O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
    While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
    For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
    An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
    An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur

aitm

My brother is a nam vet, 90% of his posts are about vets and how hey deserve to be honored at every turn and twist. I'll honor someone when I want to, and certainly not when someone suggests I need to. The other 10% is about Obama being a traitor and of course the obligatory god posts.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on December 20, 2015, 04:49:24 PM
My brother is a nam vet, 90% of his posts are about vets and how hey deserve to be honored at every turn and twist. I'll honor someone when I want to, and certainly not when someone suggests I need to. The other 10% is about Obama being a traitor and of course the obligatory god posts.
This is why a peacetime draft is good for the country.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 20, 2015, 06:04:18 PM
This is why a peacetime draft is good for the country.

'taint controversial enow, laddies. kick 'er up a notch.

Btw, thanks for the poem. Haven't read Kipling in awhile.