News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Veterans Asshattery

Started by Draconic Aiur, December 13, 2015, 06:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on December 13, 2015, 06:01:38 PM
For a person to dislike current America only to be screamed at by a veteran that said "my brothers died for you" so you shouldn't question America.

It seems to me that most vets aren't like that.  Most don't even mention their military past, or do so only in passing.  It's just the ones that like to march around in their uniforms in the parades and call attention to themselves because they think they are important that tend to make me roll my eyes.  But I don't think they make up the majority.

Draconic Aiur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on December 14, 2015, 03:29:16 PM
Well Im srry then
I must admit, that was not a response I was expecting.  I'm impressed.  You just much up a couple of notches in my estimation.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on December 14, 2015, 03:29:16 PM
Well Im srry then
Don't feel too bad. If any or all of the things, that you described being done by vets, had happened to me, I might be just as jaded.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Sal1981

The way I see it, the U.S. might as well have conscription ... for poor people.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on December 15, 2015, 01:22:47 PM
I got two bachelors and a masters out of being in the military.

And I got to shoot a lot of people too.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on December 15, 2015, 01:22:47 PM

It was called the Vietnam war.  And it is coming back to a poor neighborhood near you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 15, 2015, 05:35:10 PM

A win all around ... IMHO.  I got a masters being part of the MIC, and many years of professional work/income.  But I haven't gotten to shoot people yet ... maybe the best is still to come?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 15, 2015, 06:33:15 PM
A win all around ... IMHO.  I got a masters being part of the MIC, and many years of professional work/income.  But I haven't gotten to shoot people yet ... maybe the best is still to come?
You have to put a chit in to get to shoot people, it's non-standard.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Damn. All I did was watch others pretend to shoot missiles and torpedoes.

Mike Cl

I got to shot people while I was in the Army, too.  But I did it with a pen and paper--background checks can really come back to bite you!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jack89

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 15, 2015, 05:35:10 PM

I got a BS and a modest pension.  I mostly patched people up. 

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 15, 2015, 07:00:58 PM
I got to shot people while I was in the Army, too.  But I did it with a pen and paper--background checks can really come back to bite you!

I shot people... with a camera. The only thing I got to shoot was a rabid dog, and I felt kinda bad about it.

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 15, 2015, 08:19:16 PM
I shot people... with a camera. The only thing I got to shoot was a rabid dog, and I felt kinda bad about it.
You jogged a memory for me TomFoolery.  I was the official photo taker for my National Guard unit in I was in for 3 years.  I even had a few photos published in the local paper. 

Deidre32

Quote from: stromboli on December 13, 2015, 06:11:55 PM
Considering the fact that there are several veterans on the forum that don't do, as far as I know, any of what you are talking about,
I would have to say you are painting a segment of society in a broad stereotype that is not necessarily accurate. Many of the people like Oathkeepers are not veterans but rednecks who see themselves as patriots. Likewise if you look at the KKK or any other racist/homophobic group, you will find veterans among them, certainly. But that doesn't single them out as a group of haters by themselves.

Whatever. Rant away. I'm a veteran who supports your right of free speech.
This!
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi