Armed men in camouflage menace worshipers at a local mosque

Started by josephpalazzo, December 09, 2015, 05:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

It seems to be the case that some factions in this country want a race war, or a religion war, or just a simple nuclear war.

We should do our best to keep them from having any of those things.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

From an atheist perspective this is one group of wackos protesting another group of wackos.  It makes as much sense as midgets protesting fat ladies.  The strangeness of one breeds fear in the other.  But they are both strange.  We think of our own race and imbued with intelligence, but more accurately we are imbued with an ability to find more ways to be stupid.  Our race is a cross section of reasoned thinkers, brilliant scientists, and rather ordinary primate types driven by instinct and bodily functions.

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on December 10, 2015, 10:28:13 AM
From an atheist perspective this is one group of wackos protesting another group of wackos.  It makes as much sense as midgets protesting fat ladies.

I'd say it's closer to something like right-wing, government-hating militia groups protesting left-wing insurrectionist anarchists. Muslims and Christians both share the same belief (God) but have different ideas of how to go about it. From the outside, both sound ridiculous. But I did laugh out loud at the idea of midgets and fat women.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 10, 2015, 10:42:23 AM
I'd say it's closer to something like right-wing, government-hating militia groups protesting left-wing insurrectionist anarchists.
They are the opposite ends of the political spectrum, yet, it you extend that line and form a circle, both ends meet at the same point. Hence right-wing =  left-wing = dictatorship.

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 10, 2015, 10:42:23 AM
I'd say it's closer to something like right-wing, government-hating militia groups protesting left-wing insurrectionist anarchists. Muslims and Christians both share the same belief (God) but have different ideas of how to go about it. From the outside, both sound ridiculous. But I did laugh out loud at the idea of midgets and fat women.

I think you are right, and I actually reconsidered that shortly after I posted.  It's a bit incorrect to say that it is one religious group protesting another.  The protestors motivations are probably more about fear or dislike of Muslims, rather than two opposing religious beliefs.  It's statistically probable, given the religious make up of the US, that 98% of the protestors are Christian, but I realize that is a separate issue.  Well, not for all the protestors.  I suspect that for some, it's part of the motivation.

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm more adverse to Islam than several people here, but the thing is: I'm adverse to Islam as a whole. Harassing random Muslims doesn't accomplish anything against Islam as a whole. I'm not for fascist policies to defeat a fascist religion. If we are to kill Islam, and religion and general, it's not to be done by harassment and violence. Kill those who are violent, yes, but let's not throw ordinary people to the side because of an arbitrary state like religion.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hakurei Reimu

Fighting ideas requires a completely different approach to fighting people.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Gawdzilla Sama

Oath Keepers and Kluxers are joining up. Hopefully this will allow them to be shot down efficiently.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 11, 2015, 08:41:31 PM
Oath Keepers and Kluxers are joining up. Hopefully this will allow them to be shot down efficiently.

Yeah, it works better that way.Practice my grouping on the group.

SGOS