News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Used to be Athiest

Started by lifeordeath, December 06, 2015, 05:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

"I have sought experiences with supernatural beings. It would have felt so amazing to talk to god or a ghost or whatever and have it talk back. Nothing came of it. Hence, I became an atheist."

Same thing happened to Carl Jung.  He was raised Christian, but when nothing paranormal happened the first time he took communion ... he was a convinced atheist.  In my own case, my mother had me take communion when I was a boy ... and I did experience a kind of ecstasy ... and the grape juice wasn't alcoholic.  True communion with wine ... is ecstatic precisely because it is intoxicating.  But in my case, I don't have any explanation (other than the dismissive kind) ... and that was my first paranormal experience, or the grape juice was spiked ;-)

There are lots of paranormal experiences that I wouldn't like.  So be careful what you ask for.  It took a long time for me to overcome my fear of ghosts (as depicted in fiction).  Only as an adult did I overcome this natural phobia ... because I developed a sympathy for the dead.  Now I have had more experiences, usually with ghost cats (I love cats) and sometimes with eidetic dreams.  Last night, I had an invisible figure, pull my coverlet over my semi-awake body in my dark room.  So this is a case of waking up into a dream, not true waking up.  I wasn't particularly frightened, it was just weird (in the original definition of this word).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

even if ghosts existed there is nothing that would suggest a god is required, nothing at all except your insistence and that, for most of us, is not worth anything.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GrinningYMIR

95% of the world believes in some supreme being, are you saying we're all experiencing some sort of mass delusion?

Yes yes I am saying you're all suffering from a form of mass delusion
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

josephpalazzo

Anyone who goes from atheism to theism has made a great leap... backward into prehistoric times.

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 06, 2015, 09:27:25 AM
95% of the world believes in some supreme being, are you saying we're all experiencing some sort of mass delusion?

Yes yes I am saying you're all suffering from a form of mass delusion

Like your holiday icon ;-)  you must be deluded if you think you could wear that ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2015, 09:49:50 AM
Like your holiday icon ;-)  you must be deluded if you think you could wear that ;-))

You can't handle my sexiness
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

A girl is sixteen only one year ... down-hill after that.  The best you can do in a long term relationship ... is grow ugly together ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

I'll just put this here for reference so everyone can play along at home.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 06, 2015, 09:23:43 AM
even if ghosts existed there is nothing that would suggest a god is required, nothing at all except your insistence and that, for most of us, is not worth anything.

But why the devaluing of human experience.  Is that from misanthropy?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2015, 10:36:36 AM
But why the devaluing of human experience. 

How would I be devaluing the human experience?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

Quote from: lifeordeath on December 06, 2015, 05:22:20 AM
Hi
I used to have an opinion purely athiest that if I seen a spirit I would have the ground absolutely pulled out from under me and consider believing...Others believe in ghosts and still believe God is not there which leaves me absolutely baffled but for you athiests that would believe that seeing spirits is undoubtedly impossible without the existence of God I recommend seeking an experience by playing with a ouija board or other means...if it doesnt work continue trying because a demon is like a manipulative person that wants you to play on their own terms..if seeing a spirit is not enough then dont waste your time but i was a skeptic raised in athiestic home and i changed my mind because of incredible demonic experiences way beyond anything mainstream scientists can explain....from my understanding you could open doors that your own family or friends could be killed or seriously hurt....but mine were not fortunately...
If the only way you could believe is an experience with a spirit than seek one....I used to be athiest but I seen for myself....if you have no experience but imediately or shortly thereafter feel suicidle or homicidle thoughts....severe depression..or anything of the nature...its just satan using the door you just opened to murder or brtally attack you...I used to be athiest but now im purely theist because of experiences i ran through with a fine tooth comb....I will never be athiest in a million years.....I just want to add that I know I am tuna in a shark tank but anyone who is truly curious can find real genuine experiences with the spiritual realm by simply seeking them aggressively

God have mercy
You don't understand atheism or religion. God is everywhere in every living thing, which means everyone has divinity in them, and when they turn away from that that are in hell. That divinity is positive energy that can never be created nor destroyed. You are the creator with your positive energy that you feel as love for every living thing. If you don't recognize this positive energy in yourself you are deluded by negative energy or Satan, and hate atheist or are a bigot, prejudice, or need other people and authority to support your delusions. Atheist have true freedom from religion and superstitious nonsense and recognize their love for every living thing, which you obviously have not found, even in yourself. Have a nice day! Don't let the Boogey man get you! 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2015, 10:36:36 AM
But why the devaluing of human experience.  Is that from misanthropy?

Human experience by itself cannot be trusted.  Just because it exists doesn't mean it's not flawed.  Throwing a little science into human experience seems to help in determining what is true or relevant.  It's not perfect by any means.  It requires a lot of time and investigation, but the result helps to expand knowledge, whereas human experience by itself more often limits knowledge.  Misanthropy is just a part of human experience.  This makes misanthropy as irrelevant as human experience itself.  I wouldn't glorify human experience, but I wouldn't assume that misanthropy is the reason aitm doesn't value human experience much.  To imply that it does is just a bit of assumption sitting off to the side, but it's not necessarily relevant. Nor is it the only reason thoughtful people distrust human experience.

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 06, 2015, 11:15:58 AM
How would I be devaluing the human experience?

You accept human experience, as long as it is acceptable within your narrow POV.  Just chauvinist?  You strike me as a person who likes your dogs better than you like your people ... but I could be wrong about that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Solitary on December 06, 2015, 11:22:05 AM
You don't understand atheism or religion. God is everywhere in every living thing, which means everyone has divinity in them, and when they turn away from that that are in hell. That divinity is positive energy that can never be created nor destroyed. You are the creator with your positive energy that you feel as love for every living thing. If you don't recognize this positive energy in yourself you are deluded by negative energy or Satan, and hate atheist or are a bigot, prejudice, or need other people and authority to support your delusions. Atheist have true freedom from religion and superstitious nonsense and recognize their love for every living thing, which you obviously have not found, even in yourself. Have a nice day! Don't let the Boogey man get you!

I like your commentary ... but this dualism will lead you astray.  I want to be all positive and pro-life (in the general sense) too ... but I am not sure that is what amorality is suggesting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.