Antibiotic resistance and our deportation to Victorian times

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, March 11, 2013, 10:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antediluvian

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"If we're getting back the fatality of diseases from Victorian times can we at least get back some of the more awesome and stupidly dangerous medical devices as well?
[ Image ]
This nifty thing was used to take out tonsils.
No way!
That's the thing that was used on me last week for my pap smear!
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

mendacium remedium

Antibiotic resistance is a HUGE problem. I see this rippling onto surgery as well, infection control, and so many other things!

People dropped like flies because of the non-existent weapon against them before anti-biotics.

We need a more regulated, more thorough way to give out anti-biotics: Get people to have to read a form and be explained the importance of finishing the dose. Make sure they have the competence to respond and reply and tell the doctor they understand this crucial piece of information.

On top, the public need to really be informed on a global scale.

When we think of 'anti-biotics' we just take it for granted and say 'oh the researchers will make more'.

We are blessed to live in the 21st century. It would be a heartbreak to be taken back into the victorian era.
"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Quran
Apostasy Islam]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oKXh2oy8E[/url]

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world\'s most influential persons may surprise some readers ... but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
? Michael H. Hart]

[size=150]"The cure for ignorance is to question" -Muhammed(pbuh)[/size]

Jason78

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Antibiotic resistance is a HUGE problem. I see this rippling onto surgery as well, infection control, and so many other things!

People dropped like flies because of the non-existent weapon against them before anti-biotics.

We need a more regulated, more thorough way to give out anti-biotics: Get people to have to read a form and be explained the importance of finishing the dose. Make sure they have the competence to respond and reply and tell the doctor they understand this crucial piece of information.

On top, the public need to really be informed on a global scale.

When we think of 'anti-biotics' we just take it for granted and say 'oh the researchers will make more'.

We are blessed to live in the 21st century. It would be a heartbreak to be taken back into the victorian era.

That's rather close minded thinking.  I would have thought that bacteriophages are the way to go.

Edit:  Btw MR, are you actually going to address any of the posts in any of the threads you've started?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Colanth

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"We need a more regulated, more thorough way to give out anti-biotics: Get people to have to read a form and be explained the importance of finishing the dose. Make sure they have the competence to respond and reply and tell the doctor they understand this crucial piece of information.
Back when penicillin was first used (I was among the first civilians it was used on, in 1944), patients were advised to a) take the entire course even if the symptoms went away and b) to not use it for anything other than the illness it was prescribed for.  I'd hazard a guess that patients were stopping it as soon as the symptoms eased and saving the rest to self-medicate other illnesses long before the end of 1944.

A form?  Even a prison sentence wouldn't stop morons from "knowing" better than scientists.  The ideal situation is that antibiotics be given only to hospital patients while they're in the hospital - but that's not a practical solution.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

PopeyesPappy

On a related note the partner of one of my younger cousins is dying in hospital in Atlanta tonight. The cause? Knee surgery back in October. She got an infection, and they just haven't been able to get rid of it. She has been in the hospital since just after Christmas slowly getting worse and worse.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

PopeyesPappy

I just got the word that Erica passed away a couple of hours ago. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is already killing people...

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"I just got the word that Erica passed away a couple of hours ago. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is already killing people...

Im sorry to hear that Popeyes. If you know, what bacterial infection was it?

In the UK there were over 5000 deaths last year alone from normally preventable infections, and the rate is rising.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Plu

My condoleances :(

I've always taken care to use full antibiotics cures the few times I received them, but I do realise that most people are ignorant dumbasses, so a few people doing it right isn't going to help. Lets hope those people who use the half cures are the first to suffer the new resistant bacteria, at least we'll get a bit of karma.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "Plu"My condoleances :(

I've always taken care to use full antibiotics cures the few times I received them, but I do realise that most people are ignorant dumbasses, so a few people doing it right isn't going to help. Lets hope those people who use the half cures are the first to suffer the new resistant bacteria, at least we'll get a bit of karma.

Exactly. Just one person not doing it right or using them for infections they will be utterly ineffective against ruins it for everyone else, similar to viral vaccinations.

Unfortunately, one person getting a gram negative bacterial infection increases the likelihood that those around them will also get it, and so on.

Humans can be so fucking stupid.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"I just got the word that Erica passed away a couple of hours ago. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is already killing people...

Im sorry to hear that Popeyes. If you know, what bacterial infection was it?

In the UK there were over 5000 deaths last year alone from normally preventable infections, and the rate is rising.
It was a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) she contracted as a result of the surgery. 19,000 people died last year of complications due to MRSA infections.

Mermaid

So sorry to hear this, what a horrible tragedy.
MRSA is not just in hospitals anymore, it's in the community-schools, public pools, etc.

Bacteriophage, molecular research, delivery systems and formulations, new MOA's for antimicrobials--we need ALL of it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR