who else is afraid donald trump will get elected?

Started by doorknob, November 29, 2015, 10:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on December 11, 2015, 05:24:45 AM
"to the left of Hitler" is pretty much everybody on the planet, since Hitler is about as right-wing as you can get. Maybe ISIS might be further to the right of Hitler. Trump and the American teabaggers would be slightly to the left of Hitler.

I agree vs the American Right ... but thinking that Hillary or Sanders are Left ... is ignorance.  But then people who think that Obama is a Marxist ... aren't very observant either.  I have to accept that most posters are so young ... that the 60s are ancient history to them.  You have to go back to McGovern to have an actual moderate Left in a Presidential election.  Carter doesn't count ... as he was a Trilateralist ... he was moderate Right.  In fact FDR, Truman and Eisenhower were all moderate Right.  No Left candidate has ever won the Presidency, except in the fevered imaginations of the John Birch Society.  That and the politicians are chameleons ... both Bill Clinton and Hillary are Republicans in disguise ... as is Obama.  We have had nothing but real or fake Republicans in the White House since Nixon.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Atheon on December 11, 2015, 05:24:45 AM
"to the left of Hitler" is pretty much everybody on the planet, since Hitler is about as right-wing as you can get. Maybe ISIS might be further to the right of Hitler. Trump and the American teabaggers would be slightly to the left of Hitler.
Jesus Christ, you can't say that!  Today's Republicans can't be to the "left" of anything!  If they found out you said they were to the left of someone they'll go apeshit trying to get more right!
This sentence is a lie...

Jack89

Quote from: Baruch on December 11, 2015, 12:16:38 PM
Keep you inner Rush tuned in ;-)  Or is it Beck? ;-))
There you go making assumptions again.

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on December 11, 2015, 08:50:46 AM
I also predicted a Green surge in 2022 and a comparable split in the Democrats at that time, leading to the rise of coalition government in Congress, typically Green/Dem, Rep/Wingnut, or even Dem/Rep and legislating from the center.  I'm less confident of that happening.

Me either.  It's certainly not the direction things are going.  History tells us the pendulum often changes direction, but I don't think that is actually some sort of law.  So I'm not confident that is going to happen any time soon, if at all.  I picture a scenario where disillusioned voters start grasping at straws, which doesn't bode all that well either.  There are some real issues facing us.  Radical Islam is only one, and hardly the most important.  It's in the limelight, not so much because of it's importance, but because it's a divisive political tool that instills fear, which is the politician's dream.  It's a good campaign issue, and a great distraction, as it redirects the voters attention.  Politicians need such issues.  Actual solutions, not so much.  Once they get into office, they can continue bad mouthing the other party, rather than actually fixing anything.  If things get fixed, what's left for them to play the blame game?  I'm not sure they really want to fix anything.  Mostly, they just want do favors for their biggest donors.

Gerard

I wonder what will happen to the GOP if Donald Trump wins the nomination. Is it a nightmare scenario for the GOP? Will the party fall apart? Will GOP members like Bush, Christie or what have you make independent bids for the Presidency? And again what will that do to the "structure" of that party?

Gerard

SGOS

Quote from: Gerard on December 11, 2015, 06:53:23 PM
I wonder what will happen to the GOP if Donald Trump wins the nomination. Is it a nightmare scenario for the GOP? Will the party fall apart? Will GOP members like Bush, Christie or what have you make independent bids for the Presidency? And again what will that do to the "structure" of that party?

Gerard

The Republicans might be assholes, but they aren't stupid.  OK, maybe the presidents and the congressmen for the party are sometimes, but there is a structure of intelligent committees working in the background that deals with this kind of shit.  I don't pretend to know their thoughts or their strategy, but they probably wield more power than the front men.

Gerard

Quote from: SGOS on December 11, 2015, 09:54:29 PM
The Republicans might be assholes, but they aren't stupid.  OK, maybe the presidents and the congressmen for the party are sometimes, but there is a structure of intelligent committees working in the background that deals with this kind of shit.  I don't pretend to know their thoughts or their strategy, but they probably wield more power than the front men.

Well, looking at this from a (far) distance, that party looks to me like an organization in crisis that's lost the way. Or doesn't know what the way is supposed to be anymore. I.o.w., they live in "interesting times".....

Gerard

Baruch

Quote from: Gerard on December 12, 2015, 12:20:19 AM
Well, looking at this from a (far) distance, that party looks to me like an organization in crisis that's lost the way. Or doesn't know what the way is supposed to be anymore. I.o.w., they live in "interesting times".....

Gerard

The Republican dodos did't have a plan, they were just winging it ... until 12 gauge shot cut them out of the sky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RhqR2ZGkc0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Gerard

The only difference between Trump and the rest is that Trump says out loud what the others say privately. So it's not that they disagree with him on matters but more on public display. What they really don't like about him is that no one in the party has levers over him to exert any kind of clout, while the rest are tied to their donors.

Baruch

This is why rogue candidates like Sanders and Trump should be avoided ... just vote for the candidates fronted by the DINO and RINO false opposites.  The "permanent government" includes the bureaucracy, not just politically active plutocrats.  In actual fact, there is no reason, other than propaganda, to allow ordinary people to vote at all ... they are idiots.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I think it's likely that the deep state is in control of all of those who get elected, whatever party.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

caseagainstfaith

I for one hope to imaginary deities that Trump gets the Republican nomination.  I know the Republican inner circle will work hard to prevent that from happening. So, I honestly can't say what I think will happen.  I suppose I think it more likely that someone else will be the nominee, but I don't know.  But there is no way in hell that Trump would win in a general election.  It would be the embarrassment of gigantic proportions if Trump wins the nomination. I live in Texas and can vote in exactly one primary.  I'd be tempted to vote in the Republican primary and vote for Trump, except I really have to vote for Sanders in the Democratic primary.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

trdsf

The problem for the GOP is that Trump losing the nomination is also a nightmare scenario.

They can't win with Trump on the ticket -- he may energize the wingnuts and knuckledraggers, but they can't win on just those votes, and he scares the everlovin' Technicolor fuck out of anyone Pat Buchanan and leftwards.

And if Trump isn't on the ticket, either his people will fail to turn out, or he's going to take the teabaggers and run as an independent, and if they form a party with any sort of electoral success (and tragically, they will have some), that will keep the GOP out of power for a generation.  Several sitting members of Congress will bolt to the new party, and in following elections, the Repubs and Teabaggers will be fighting for the same votes.

Pass the popcorn, I'm enjoying this.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on December 02, 2015, 10:46:29 AM
Hmmm...I'd like to agree with you on that, except that our country made the worst mistakes of its history. We lost thousands of our own in a pointless war to remove our own pet dictator from Iraq, who was the only dude who maintained stability in the region. On account of Gerk W. Bush, now there's ISIS. Which is why I consider the possibility of another jerk, much less an even bigger one something to be very concerned about at best.

Invading Iraq, wasn't just a mistake, it was a war crime.  But then the prior embargo was also a war crime.  Just the 4th Reich doing its thing.

Now we know that Turkey has put troops into Iraq ... without Iraqi permission, near Mosul.  Iraq has asked them to pull them out and not repeat this act of war (covered by Uncle Terror Sam).  Iraq now wants to kick everything American/Nato out of Iraq, and ask for assistance from Russia, just like Asad in Syria.  Erdogan has said ... "make me".  We may soon see Istanbul and Ankara occupied by Russian special forces.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Trump is stuck at 30%.  Those saying he is the leader need to learn the difference between plurality and majority.

Moreover, he is not going to win over supporters of the other candidates.  He is nobody's second choice, and he knows it.  For every other candidate, they can be a second choice if some other candidate drops out.  Not Trump.  And Trump's followers can have a second choice.  What Trump has is all he has.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!