who else is afraid donald trump will get elected?

Started by doorknob, November 29, 2015, 10:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

He may be liberal today.  But in 30 years, who knows ... and he may still be in public life ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 08, 2015, 07:04:48 PM
I don't think Donald Trump winning the presidential election is as far-fetched as some would like to believe.

A poll from Public Policy Polling released Tuesday revealed that Donald Trump has hit his highest approval rating to date among North Carolina Republican primary voters surveyed. He’s at 33 percent, largely fueled by the increasing Islamophobia in his rhetoric, according to PPP analysts. Of those polled, 67 percent indicated that they supported a national database of Muslims, 62 percent believe his claims that Muslims in New Jersey were cheering after the 9/11 attacks, and only 24 percent of his supporters in the state believe Islam should be legal in the United States.

I didn't think a B movie actor would be governor of California, or US President either.  Be careful who you vote for, because you just might win 8=p
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

doorknob

I would rather vote for the b movie actor than donald trump. At least the actor was hip and cool one time.

Johan

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 08, 2015, 06:11:00 PM
Don't worry. You will be safe. Safe, away in your safe space, from meanies and nutjobs like me.
I think widdershins probably has too much class to address this, but I am not likewise encumbered. I am not speaking for anyone by myself here (though I suspect many will agree with me). Do not ever flatter yourself. It ain't about wanting to be safe. Its about being unwilling to waste time conversing with ignorant assholes.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Jack89

Quote from: widdershins on December 08, 2015, 05:33:44 PM
And with that I'm sick of looking up Trump quotes.  I'm pretty sure there are a ton more, but I'm literally tired of copying and pasting them.
Yep, some of those are pretty bad.  I think I've heard a couple of them.  The one that really struck me as a little too incredible was "Laziness is a trait in the blacks. ... Black guys counting my money! I hate it", so I looked it up.  It's apparently second-hand, in a book written in 1991 by a former employee.  In any event, the quotes that can be verified don't seem very presidential.

Sylar

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on December 08, 2015, 05:35:42 PM
Your complete trust in George W Bush and Dick Cheney (you at least have complete trust in them concerning the day that 9/11 happened) is worse than a religion. You do not know what went on behind the scenes any more than I or any one else does, and it's a joke for you to pretend that you do. I am agnostic about the event, personally. Neo-Cons outright said they needed a Pear Harbour to accomplish their goals in the Middle East. They got their Pearl Harbour. I, and you, have zero reason to assume that the Administration didn't want it to happen, or that they weren't high fiving as the towers fell to the ground. You are completely assuming, and that's called faith my friend. I have no reason to think the US wasn't absolutely overjoyed by the 9/11 attacks, so I stay on the fence and don't believe one way or the other. I think there's a great chance Bush and Cheney were thrilled about the attacks and would happily have them happen again if they could go back in time, but I can't prove this (and you can't come close to proving this is not the case), so officially I stay agnostic.

The Bush administration may have wanted the 9/11 attacks to happen.
They may have needed them to happen.
Perhaps they were even overjoyed that they happened.

But none of these mean that the administration carried out the attacks.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Gerard

Quote from: FaithisFilthYour complete trust in George W Bush and Dick Cheney (you at least have complete trust in them concerning the day that 9/11 happened) is worse than a religion. You do not know what went on behind the scenes any more than I or any one else does, and it's a joke for you to pretend that you do. I am agnostic about the event, personally. Neo-Cons outright said they needed a Pear Harbour to accomplish their goals in the Middle East. They got their Pearl Harbour. I, and you, have zero reason to assume that the Administration didn't want it to happen, or that they weren't high fiving as the towers fell to the ground. You are completely assuming, and that's called faith my friend.
There's a thing called burden of proof. We saw what happened. The rest is to be proven by the people who make allegations, but don't tell us that refusing to swallow unsubstantiated and opinionated political bullshit is "faith". You're at the wrong address for that.

Gerard

Hydra009

Quote from: Jack89 on December 08, 2015, 04:33:43 PMI'm not afraid of Donald, I'm actually kind of warming up to him.  I like his pro-American attitude ("Make America Great Again") and agree with some of his policy stances.  He's unapologetic and thinks America comes first.  If you're going to be the US President, that kinda makes sense. 

I'm not surprised he's doing so well.
These are the same platitudes that politicians have been serving up since there were politicians, coupled with his personal brand of demagoguery that has lately been skating the line between being a "maverick" and being an outright bigot.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 08, 2015, 07:04:48 PM
I don't think Donald Trump winning the presidential election is as far-fetched as some would like to believe.

Poll: Islamophobia Fueling Trump NC Rise

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/12/08/poll-islamophobia-fueling-trump-nc-rise.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

A poll from Public Policy Polling released Tuesday revealed that Donald Trump has hit his highest approval rating to date among North Carolina Republican primary voters surveyed. He’s at 33 percent, largely fueled by the increasing Islamophobia in his rhetoric, according to PPP analysts. Of those polled, 67 percent indicated that they supported a national database of Muslims, 62 percent believe his claims that Muslims in New Jersey were cheering after the 9/11 attacks, and only 24 percent of his supporters in the state believe Islam should be legal in the United States.
NC Republicans are...[redacted disparaging comments]...not particularly representative of voters in general.  Those Muslim yellow badge comments brought a fresh wave of disapproval from liberals and moderates at the same time they pleased the [disparaging comments] Republican base.

Baruch

Just remember ... as demonstrated way back in 2000 ... after New Hampshire ... the Republican primary season is front loaded with Southern states.  As long as Trump or other rides high thru Super Tuesday or whatever ... it will be a done deal within a few months ... because one of them has proven momentum, the cheap moneybags backing them will strangle the funds for the losers.  Some states are more important, by design.  The Democrats are different ... they just want a coronation of the PC candidate of the week, and skip the primaries, once someone is anointed by the DNC.  This is one reason why I am no longer a Democrat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 09, 2015, 04:15:43 AM
NC Republicans are...[redacted disparaging comments]...not particularly representative of voters in general.

I should hope not.

Gerard

Polls are polls. Elections (even primaries) are elections. And then there is a convention. We'll see. Conventional wisdom is however that things can (and mostly do) turn out very differently from where they stand now.

Gerard

Shiranu

I am not afraid of him being elected; I am afraid that after the election the people who agree with him will still be active members of a so-called "civilized" society. That scares me more than anything.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

widdershins

Quote from: doorknob on December 08, 2015, 06:43:31 PM
I feel like most white people are still racist. I feel like it's those same backward thinking mother fuckers who are going to vote for him. Too many of those where I live.

My own family is a bunch of racist bigots. And half of them aren't even religious so I don't get it. But these are the fools voting for him.

I'm not sane as it is. Don't blame me when this country is finally run into the ground with it's final nail in the coffin I'll be getting high and committing crimes again. Much better than dealing with that reality.
I am ashamed to admit that I still occasionally have racist thoughts.  In the time in which I grew up it was considered "normal" and still is in much of these parts.  I've said things in my youth and used words truly good people would not consider (not just about race, but also sexual orientation).  But I realized what it was and how very wrong it was and am constantly trying to be a better person.  Still, the old ways of thinking sneak back in once in a while , but they NEVER make it out my mouth any more and I try to stamp them out as soon as I recognize them for what they are.  Now, it's not any white power neo-nazi shit or anything like that, just occasional racial stereotyping which I am ashamed of as soon as I realize that I did it.  So, am I a "racist"?  Honestly, I would have to say, "A little, but I'm trying not to be".  It's a hard thing to admit and I work for the day when I can think back on who I am inside as well as out and say with all honesty, "No, I am not", but as long as I occasionally racially stereotype, even if I immediately feel badly about it as soon as I realize it, I can't honestly say, "I am not racist" because that insinuates not even a little bit.  But as long as I can call it as I truly see it and not justify it with shit like, "I think everyone is a LITTLE racist" (which may or may not be true but, for me, is still not acceptable) then I will never become comfortable with just being "a little racist" or pretending that just a little bit is okay because it's "normal".  I'm a work in progress.
This sentence is a lie...

TomFoolery

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?