News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Morality without religion

Started by GrimTalo, October 14, 2015, 01:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: GrimTalo on October 16, 2015, 12:51:37 PM
My understanding is that Ethics are external rules that we live by, Morals are internal rules that we live by.  Morals are stronger than Ethics when making a choice, so I am going with that. Core values is the ideal target when addressing change. 

Basically, morality is your sense of right and wrong; ethics are the rules of conduct adopted by society.

QuoteUpdate: I haven't found the "why" yet. I am beginning to think this is an actual problem. This comes during a time when the masses need some moral fiber in their diet. I strongly believe that removing programs that promote nationalism and character building will be the downfall of the US.

You would have to go back as far as when humans were nomads. Survival was better if you belong to a group (family/clan/tribe). And as such, morality/ethics/religion offered the tools to keep the group together, giving it cohesion, stability and a sense of fairness so that the group could perform a task when it was necessary to do so.  Eventually certain "universal" principles developed as we get to see them in many cultures, such as "thou shalt not murder" or the golden rule, "you should treat others as you would like others to treat yourself". So as to the why question: many reasons but the most basic is survival. Obviously, different cultures developed rules that were appropriate to them considering what kind of experiences they went through: wars, famines, diseases, etc.

aitm

Quote from: GrimTalo on October 16, 2015, 12:51:37 PM
I strongly believe that removing programs that promote nationalism and character building will be the downfall of the US.

aye, it worked for germany…..almost
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on October 16, 2015, 07:51:42 PM
aye, it worked for germany…..almost

The Germans did develop nationalism, but they didn't develop character ;-(  But Joe is showing his "conservative" colors.  If only we Americans were true Uber-menschen ... y'all would continue to kiss our ass just like you used to.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

yeah, we demanded prayer in school and pledging the flag throughout the 60's and 70's and we never had such a exodus to the Canadian border prior. Nationalism is all fine and dandy until reasonable people realize the real question is "will you die to make rich people richer", and "oh bye the way", your family ain't getting a fucking dime.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Drummer Guy

Here are 3 videos that helped me.  These are by 3 different atheist philosophers, all of whom are well educated and well respected in the field of secular moral philosophy.

The first 1 explains moral tribes, and notice that god is not necessary for this to make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9reBdFoIdY0

This second video is interesting as it explains what different ingredients go into moral views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SOQduoLgRw

This last one is longer, it is a debate between Shelly Kagan and WLC on god's role in morality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiJnCQuPiuo

Baruch

Aside from word definitions, you are right.  A theology is unnecessary for moral behavior.  Some would limit "morality" to theism, but "ethics" is universal (that being a secular philosophical subject).

One thing that muddles the issue, is post-Christian culture etc.  To what extent is our ethical concerns inherited from a prior Christian society etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sylar

Well, considering this board is active.. I'd say neither religion nor god are necessary for satisfactory moral behavior. Alas, we'd all be in prison and this board would be dead :P.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Baruch

Quote from: Sylar on December 07, 2015, 05:26:50 AM
Well, considering this board is active.. I'd say neither religion nor god are necessary for satisfactory moral behavior. Alas, we'd all be in prison and this board would be dead :P.

Morality and criminality are the normal outcomes of universal human behavior.  So it isn't one or the other.  Theists just blame G-d for what they do.  Atheists blame their atoms ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.