School District Closed; "Islamic Indoctrination"

Started by Shiranu, December 18, 2015, 08:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

One thing that really confuses me is why the school division had to close. What did that accomplish?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

SGOS

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 21, 2015, 08:01:24 PM
One thing that really confuses me is why the school division had to close. What did that accomplish?

I heard a thing on NPR, and as I recall, the police advised the district to close the schools.  They didn't say why, I don't think, so there were probably some threats of violence, or bombs, or something like that. 

Sheesh!  When we draw the Prophet, the Muslims get violent.  When we copy the Koran, the Christians get violent. 

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 21, 2015, 09:35:19 PM
I heard a thing on NPR, and as I recall, the police advised the district to close the schools.  They didn't say why, I don't think, so there were probably some threats of violence, or bombs, or something like that. 

Sheesh!  When we draw the Prophet, the Muslims get violent.  When we copy the Koran, the Christians get violent.

Everyone is an asshole ... visit the WC frequently '-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Solomon ZornChoosing that particular phrase, and requiring non-Muslims to write it, is a BIG violation of the first amendment.

Quote from: ShiranuUh... no, it's really not a violation of freedom of speech.

The first amendment covers freedom of religion, as well as freedom of speech. I am thankful that this freedom has been extended to public schools as well. As a Christian, I never would have allowed this to go unopposed and as an atheist I wouldn't, for almost the same reason. Saying that writing it, is different from reciting it, is pedantic. It's close enough to be a violation.

Quote from: ShiranuAnd likewise I doubt they were forced at gun point (or grade-point as the case may be) to write it.

Was the assignment optional? It doesn't matter, the public school has no business asking non-Muslim kids to write it. Or Muslim kids either for that matter.

Quote from: ShiranuIf they understood it, and thus could be indoctrinated by it, and expressed a concern about writing it then yes certainly.
Again: there are an infinite number of inoffensive phrases they could have used to teach the calligraphy. Someone is deliberately sticking their ass in Christian faces.

And if it was Bible verses it would be just as bad, and you would probably have no sympathy.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com